Alcohol and Football

Alcohol and Football  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

32 minutes ago, Comrie said:

I've only ever seen the Police look interested when a minibus of Airdrie fans who could hardly walk got turned away from Victoria Park,

They let the OF fans (especially Rangers, on what I've seen do what they want).

That’s totally true about Rangers. In the 90’s their Chairman was allowed entry to Brockville legless several times.

27 minutes ago, Comrie said:

I've only ever seen the Police look interested when a minibus of Airdrie fans who could hardly walk got turned away from Victoria Park,

This is an interesting one.  How bad of a police officer do you need to be to not fancy your chances of handling a situation of a few drunk folk start behaving inappropriately?  Someone seeing double, slow reactions and poor co-ordination should be incredibly easy to arrest and deal with.  

What has been achieved by stopping that person entering a football ground and instead going back to the pub?  Surely having them inside the stadium where there is plenty of security personnel and a shit load of cctv is a better place to monitor that person?

Before the ban you took your own booze into games. If alcohol is allowed it'll crap, over priced pints served in shitty plastic tumblers poured from pipes that are hardly ever used/cleaned properly. No thanks. I'd rather have a nice pint, in a glasss in a warm pub before and after the game
I've had perfectly serviceable, fairly priced beer at football many a time. "Let's not bother because no beer is better than the option of slightly sub-optimal beer." is a horror of an argument.

2 hours ago, ropy said:

Would it be worth being in the bottom two leagues if they got the nod to sell alcohol?

back in the day this constituted about 40% of all defences of the juniors, which never gave up carry-outs-on-the-terraces culture.

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

The number of shouts for everyone excluding the OF has pretty much demonstrated why it’ll never happen. 

Realistically that sort of rule would never happen so either you find a way to include the OF or it remains off the table. 

Yep, it’s another one of those strange “I’m a better human being than you based on the team I support” flexes that people try to pull off.

7 minutes ago, AJF said:

Yep, it’s another one of those strange “I’m a better human being than you based on the team I support” flexes that people try to pull off.

I’m not disagreeing with them, I’m just aware of the unfortunate rules against discriminating against pond life 😉

16 hours ago, Thumper said:

the alcohol ban is due to an old firm game. The correct decision is to reinstate booze and abolish the old firm. Any revenue loss could be made up by, say, selling alcohol in grounds.

I can't remember where I read this, but I'm sure the ban on drink at games only extended as far as League football in the aftermath of the 1980 Cup Final, and there was another booze-related to-do at a non-league fixture not long after (possibly at Buckie, appropriately enough) that saw the law amended to cover all football. 

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

It is broad brush stuff and the brush is very broad.  The issue is the numbers of bodies.  On an 80/20 basis 80% of them fit the caricature.  Part of the issue is that the 20% don’t see (or hear) the traits that we all see.  I took a Rangers supporting colleague through it and his eyes were opened.

You seem like a sensible guy, you should wear your 20% label with pride.

On 25/02/2021 at 13:30, Durnford said:

As one of a dwindling band who can still remember when you could buy a beer at a football match; my experiences previously were not particularly awe inspiring. Normally the beer on offer was of the Whitbread best (anything but) or Youngers Tartan variety  It was served up in plastic cups and was either miles out of date (due to the lack of a home game for a couple of weeks) or tasted suspiciously watered down. I also remember a time when someone was working his way through the crowd at a Cardiff home game with a tray of maybe five or six beers. Suddenly the home side scored; up went the crowd; up went the tray and up went the beer - ensuring everyone on the bluebirds home terrace got a "sample".

That being said; I've had beers at Murrayfield and Twickenham and its been a wholly more positive experience. At football in the seventies; you'd usually have to wait up to quarter of an hour to be served; a far more efficient service at the rugby.

One other thing for consideration; I've been to games where supporters have tried to rush down those last couple of pints, and a wee shot, before the game as they'd invariable have to sit around for the next couple of hours  in a Scottish all-seater stadium in mid winter. I suppose one argument against would be that those that got bladdered before the game had a couple of hours to sober up before being allowed out onto the local area again.

One thing though; under licensing laws there is a obligation on the licensee to ensure patrons remain within the law and do not get unduly intoxicated. Every club has its idiots so can see that not many would end up with their license intact after a brief trial.

I don't remember alcohol ever being served in the ground. All drink consumed on terrace was taken in. I also remember games before 1980 when I went to the games as a skinny youth in an oversized Parka, with my brother and his mates' carry outs filling every pocket and the lining.

Having been in the family section at Hampden with kids constantly  getting up for drinks in the first half and a pee in the second. I'm not sure It would improve the experience if adults were doing the same.

Edited by thisal

On 25/02/2021 at 13:28, Blootoon87 said:
On 25/02/2021 at 13:21, Richey Edwards said:
If you cannot go for under two hours without an alcoholic beverage, then you should re-evaluate your relationship with alcohol.

Keep the ban.

If you cannot go for under two hours without a pie then you should re-evaluate your relationship with food.

That is correct.  So many football days have been turned sour because of someone having 3 pies too many.

• 2 weeks later...

Reluctantly, I'm in the "no" camp.  Whether we like it or not, you really can't compare the behaviour of fans at, eg. Old Firm matches and rugby internationals.  It is sad but true, IMO. There's no point in just wishing that it wasn't the case.  The fans' attitudes are different as chalk and cheese.  Respect for the opposition (and even the opposing fans) in rugby is pretty common.  Not much evidence of that in football. Also, fans at Murrayfield are not segregated.  Tell you what, I'll agree to allowing the bevvy back into football when we can have unsegregated crowds at senior matches.  I'd love to see it but I don't expect to.