Alcohol and Football

Alcohol and Football  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, G51 said:

ah no, but you see, some people like to use sectarianism for point-scoring purposes and have no real interest in actually doing anything about it.

Would you like me to call less than zero people a ******/***********? 

17 minutes ago, Gosport Buddie said:

Before the ban you took your own booze into games. If alcohol is allowed it'll crap, over priced pints served in shitty plastic tumblers poured from pipes that are hardly ever used/cleaned properly. No thanks. I'd rather have a nice pint, in a glasss in a warm pub before and after the game

Great point. They should ban pies too. If I want to eat I'll go to a decent restaurant with friends and family.

18 minutes ago, AJF said:

I totally get that. If I'm attending an event at the Hydro, I grudge paying the prices they charge for pints served in plastic tumblers, but ultimately I have the choice to do so.

Other than your preference to buy a pint in the pub, do you feel fans should have the option to buy a crappy pint at the stadium should they choose to do so?

Yeah, give them the option. I can see it ending in tears when the wee lassies get a load of verbal cos they can't pour the pints as fast as some think they can/should. Then you've only got a few minutes to neck the pint out of sight of the game before it starts/restarts. can be bad enough just trying to get a Pie & Bovril at halftime without adding pints

The "pisswater in a plastic tumbler" argument has me seething, I don't mind admitting.

Yes, the lager in Wembley is a gassy tasteless 4% job for about 6 or 7 quid. And yet this, presumably capitalist, enterprise, still decide to sell it for some reason.

I'm not desperate for a drink but I do think clubs shouldn't be banned from doing things that will make money without a very good reason.

14 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Drawing parallels with the 'red shed' piloted at Pittodrie before the world went to hell in a hand basket, you could have specific sections/stands that serve beer to avoid a lot of the complaints from above.

When the red shed was announced it was made pretty clear that there would be standing, less stewarding and the language was likely to be colourful. If that wasn't your thing then you had the option to steer well clear. The same could be said for beer at the game?

I understand there's things that come with beer being sold that people don't like and that's fair enough but surely there's a way to accommodate both factions. I believe families should be bale to attend without fear of being confronted by arseholes but I also think some of the younger guys should be able to enjoy the football beyond the limits of a family friendly day out.  

I think this is ideally what you should be looking at going forward in Scottish football.

If a stadium has four sides (sorry Falkirk), then roughly lay it out like this:

Stand 1: main stand, typically behind the dugouts, corporates, pensioners, older families, long-term ST holders, a few daytrippers, etc. Drinking probably allowed in this part of the ground but expected to stay sitting down for most of the game

Stand 2: family stand (or if it's a small stadium, just a couple of blocks), should go without saying that this'll be the calmest area of the ground

Stand 3: boisterous stand, not quite anything goes but you should expect standing, swearing, flag-waving and yes hopefully drinking too. Also ideally hands off policing, ie. only intervening when an actual crime/offence is being committed, rather than watching like hawks at all times

Stand 4: away end, should hopefully be standing and singing or at the very least a bit of both going on

Edited by HibsFan

Literally the only reason I'm in favour of allowing bevvy at the game is because Rugby are allowed it - and it's a boast that I'd love to deny to the wax jacket/salmon pink jumbo cord wearing, 2 games a year brigade.

4 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

I think this is ideally what you should be looking at going forward in Scottish football.

If a stadium has four sides (sorry Falkirk), then roughly lay it out like this:

Stand 1: main stand, typically behind the dugouts, corporates, pensioners, older families, long-term ST holders, a few daytrippers, etc. Drinking probably allowed in this part of the ground but expected to stay sitting down for most of the game

Stand 2: family stand (or if it's a small stadium, just a couple of blocks), should go without saying that this'll be the calmest area of the ground

Stand 3: boisterous stand, not quite anything goes but you should expect standing, swearing, flag-waving and yes hopefully drinking to. Also ideally hands off policing, ie. only intervening when an actual crime/offence is being committed, rather than watching like hawks at all times

Stand 4: away end, should hopefully be standing and singing or at the very least a bit of both going on

In stand 3, i'd propose that urinals are installed outside so that you don't miss the game when you go for a pee. Because I'm a progressive modern thinker and don't want to exclude the ladies, we should make shewees available at a reasonable price. 

I propose that shitting facilities remain indoors but think that it might be worth investing in half silvered doors for pitchside facilities. 

On 25/02/2021 at 14:20, Steve_Wilkos said:

Any game not involving weegies - serve in all areas

Weegies at home - no alcohol to be served

Weegies away - alcohol served in home end

Bit harsh on Queens Park fans 

A small sweet sherry for those rarified gentlemen and ladies would be ok.

Banning drink at the rugby would be fairer and stop those "jolly lads" annoying folk with their "larks"

There was an episode of The Simpsons when Homer gives up drinking and he goes to watch baseball sober and finds it really boring. I wonder if the same thing would happen if drink was banned at Murrayfield.

12 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Banning drink at the rugby would be fairer and stop those "jolly lads" annoying folk with their "larks"

There was an episode of The Simpsons when Homer gives up drinking and he goes to watch baseball sober and finds it really boring. I wonder if the same thing would happen if drink was banned at Murrayfield.

They'd always have The Biscuit Game to fall back on.

56 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I think it would given Murrayfield is 25% equally away fans, rugby fans, private school Tory c***s and hen weekends 

Few pages in now and I haven't seen a compelling post against drink at grounds. Its all personal preference with a wee dose of pearl clutching mixed in.

None of these are a reason to continue treating football fans in the shambolic way they are treated/vilified in this country.

Bring it back

f**k the Old Firm, they can stay on the ban list

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Few pages in now and I haven't seen a compelling post against drink at grounds. Its all personal preference with a wee dose of pearl clutching mixed in.

None of these are a reason to continue treating football fans in the shambolic way they are treated/vilified in this country.

Bring it back

f**k the Old Firm, they can stay on the ban list

Would it be worth being in the bottom two leagues if they got the nod to sell alcohol?

People are saying it shouldn't be sold to the old firm, but every time I go to a home game against one of them, there are always hordes of them necking fortified wine, harrassing by-passers and pishing in the streets outside the ground, ages before kick off whilst the police stand on the other side of the road watching them. Would it not be better to stick them in the stand and fleece them £7 a pint instead?

7 minutes ago, GAD said:

People are saying it shouldn't be sold to the old firm, but every time I go to a home game against one of them, there are always hordes of them necking fortified wine, harrassing by-passers and pishing in the streets outside the ground, ages before kick off whilst the police stand on the other side of the road watching them. Would it not be better to stick them in the stand and fleece them £7 a pint instead?

I've only ever seen the Police look interested when a minibus of Airdrie fans who could hardly walk got turned away from Victoria Park,

They let the OF fans (especially Rangers, on what I've seen do what they want).