Alcohol and Football

Alcohol and Football  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My own experiences with booze at games was when I worked in London and attended matches at Arsenal and Spurs.  The beer on offer was overpriced watery Carlsberg in a plastic bottle. Also there wasn't much of a queue for it, fans weren't exactly guzzling it up. The workmates I was with said the same thing "It's overpriced and shite. We'll go get a proper drink afterwards." 

11 minutes ago, GAD said:

You do realise that fans of those sports are probably football fans as well? There is no sport that has a better calibre of fans, not in Scotland anyway as it's mostly the same folk. 

4 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I go to rugby, cricket and ice hockey and drink at all of them.

Maybe I could get a high calibre fan pass

Sure, I could have used a better than calibre, but you knew exactly what I meant. 

Crowd behaviour at those events are very different because of the atmosphere generated by the people around you. 

There are people that go to a match a match just to be a cock. Doubt the same could be said about cricket or that as many would.

I can have a beer if I go to the theatre, the rugby, a gig, the cinema (except in Glasgow for some reason), the highland games,  etc. Is football the only entertainment venue you can't buy alcohol?

Why are football fans discriminated against?

I'm not talking about getting pished. I'm talking about having a beer at half time or before the game. There are laws against drunken behaviour already. They should be enforced.

I can see clubs pushing for it to be introduced next season especially as most in Scotland will need every penny they can get. 

Pre-Covid, Ron Gordon had quite a few plans for improvements around the stadium and a better match day experience in general so I'd imagine he'd be all for it. Aberdeen's chairman seems to be the type that would vote for it too. Anne Budge rents their pitch out for a fiver to Underbelly for the Festival so she'd accept bevvy money. 

I'd be really surprised if it was smoothly introduced though since the Police and Government would likely panic initially but if it could be brought in as a trial or even for low risk games then it makes sense.

Hibs games except matches against the OF, Aberdeen, and Hearts would pass trouble free with alcohol sold surely!

Down here when I had a season ticket at Upton Park, myself and a few others would be down in the concourse for the 38th minute, became bit of a ritual. Get a couple of bottles, miss the half time surge, and then back up for the second half. Never went to the game early to go for a drink, but there were plenty of boozers round the area. I don't think unless you are in a Livingston situation where you have nothing around, you would go to the match early to sample some average warm beer at an increased rate. 

As for the trouble side of things, there is a lot more issues at games in England / Italy etc where drinking is permitted. In fact, the games I have been to in Italy, I have been able to take a beer out to watch the game, not sure if that is strictly legal, or they just don't give a f**k, I suspect the second. 

Can't be arsed reading every post to see what has already been said but i'll say what i think anyway, and apologize if anyone has already mentioned the same thing.

Imo it makes absolutely no difference anyway whether alcohol is banned from being sold inside the ground, if it's meant to stop crowd trouble, esp with the erse cheeks playing one another, they already get pissed pre match so what exactly is the point. If you want to drink you'll drink, those that binge still binge, on the buses, in pubs, is another pint of 2 inside the ground going to make any difference, doubt it. The whole structure of football has changed inside grounds since the 80's too, seated stadia, cameras everywhere, if it was reviewed properly i'm sure they'd lift this outdated ban on alcohol during a game.

They could limit how many pints/plastic bottles are sold per person too, nae c**t is going to overdo it during a match with having to wait in a queue and the amount of times they'll be going for a piss. That's also changed, never used to bother with toilet visits, folk just pissed on the terrace, or into an empty beer can, do they think that would still happen too, course it wouldn't.

Personally it makes no odds to me, i may buy the odd pint during a game if it was allowed, as i do whenever i go to Murrayfield for the rugby, but i get by quite happily going for a couple of pints in the Livi bar/almondvale suite pre match and post match. However this is a big loss in revenue for clubs, and totally outdated when you're going back 40 years when it was implemented. Times have changed, the football alcohol law is stuck in the past and hasn't moved with the times.

2 hours ago, AndyM said:

My own experiences with booze at games was when I worked in London and attended matches at Arsenal and Spurs.  The beer on offer was overpriced watery Carlsberg in a plastic bottle. Also there wasn't much of a queue for it, fans weren't exactly guzzling it up. The workmates I was with said the same thing "It's overpriced and shite. We'll go get a proper drink afterwards." 

Bramall Lane offered some English bitter as well as your generic lager and it cost a reasonable £3.20 or something a few years back. If some clubs choose to sign dung overpriced deals with Tennents then that's just like having a garbage pie stall or the monstrosity that they use for catering at Hampden.