Alcohol and Football

Alcohol and Football  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

I've been to the Aussie Rules, and Rugby League, the cricket, and football in Australia loads of times. It's fun. As a day out in terms of atmosphere and people having a good time, it's unquestionably better than your average day out at the football in Scotland. It's designed to be enjoyable. I feel like everything at the football in Scotland is designed to remind you that you're a potential trouble-maker.

It's just watching sport. Except you can go and buy a pint if you want to. It'll be expensive and it'll probably be a bit weak and it'll probably not be what you'd immediately choose in a pub. But it's there if you want. I really don't see what massive problems it would cause. Loads of people are drunk at the football anyway, and the combination of price and strength would limit how bevvied people would get in the stadium itself.

ETA: You're right that in general Korean behaviour standards are very different to Scotland. But that goes out the window with the bevvy. Drinking and shambolic behaviour like I've never seen.

Remember that we don't all have the same threshold for what we find "fun". Someone used to Scottish football crowds is probably not going to be daunted by similar crowds elsewhere.

I haven't been to Hampden for a Scotland men's game since Poland in 2015 because the family section was full of drunk Scottish adults and Poles with flares. I'm not putting my kids in that and I know a few families who left early that night. I know one couple who used to be home and away regulars who stopped going for years after that game, because of the folk standing anywhere and falling all over the place in the North Stand. Yes, stewarding should have been better but the more alcohol you put in a hyped-up crowd, the worse this will be.

I don't see anything wrong with Scottish football that gets improved by more alcohol, and if it's only for overpriced piss then what exactly is the point? You might drive some folk away and you probably won't attract anyone new - and anyone not currently going to games who starts going because they can drink at them is maybe not making the situation any better.

As for comparisons with rugby, you're talking about fans who can be trusted to sit next to opposition fans and, let's be honest, they're not nearly as passionate about it as football fans. It's a different thing.

Anyway, I know I'm not going to persuade anyone and I've said all I've got. I hope it doesn't come back and if it does, I hope I'm wrong.

Guest TheJTS98
7 minutes ago, GAD said:

To be honest, the worst thing about having alcohol available at the game is it means you are going to be standing up and down a lot more than you are now to let people in and out for beers and the toilet.

Easy fix that. A double push for a pint and safe standing.

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Remember that we don't all have the same threshold for what we find "fun". Someone used to Scottish football crowds is probably not going to be daunted by similar crowds elsewhere.

I haven't been to Hampden for a Scotland men's game since Poland in 2015 because the family section was full of drunk Scottish adults and Poles with flares. I'm not putting my kids in that and I know a few families who left early that night. I know one couple who used to be home and away regulars who stopped going for years after that game, because of the folk standing anywhere and falling all over the place in the North Stand. Yes, stewarding should have been better but the more alcohol you put in a hyped-up crowd, the worse this will be.

I don't see anything wrong with Scottish football that gets improved by more alcohol, and if it's only for overpriced piss then what exactly is the point? You might drive some folk away and you probably won't attract anyone new - and anyone not currently going to games who starts going because they can drink at them is maybe not making the situation any better.

As for comparisons with rugby, you're talking about fans who can be trusted to sit next to opposition fans and, let's be honest, they're not nearly as passionate about it as football fans. It's a different thing.

Anyway, I know I'm not going to persuade anyone and I've said all I've got. I hope it doesn't come back and if it does, I hope I'm wrong.

I mean I’m certain every ground has some form of or potential for a family stand so that problem is easily solved . No drink in family sections of grounds 

Guest TheJTS98
1 minute ago, GAD said:

In the whole ground? Or only people standing are allowed a pint?

Everybody must stand. Boost employment by employing people with sticks to prod sitters. Three problems fixed in one.

Unpopular opinion, but I would like the game to stay dry.

You already hear and see some pretty shocking stuff at grounds around the country without needing to add alcohol into the mix.

The balance we have of most having a pre match pint and not allowing people who are steaming into grounds is right.

You can point to rugby, cricket or any other sport that allow drink in the stands but let's be honest and say football does not have the same calibre of fan.

1 minute ago, Crawford said:

You already hear and see some pretty shocking stuff at grounds around the country without needing to add alcohol into the mix.

The balance we have of most having a pre match pint and not allowing people who are steaming into grounds is right.

You can point to rugby, cricket or any other sport that allow drink in the stands but let's be honest and say football does not have the same calibre of fan.

yikes

2 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

The idea of wanting or needing to have an alcoholic drink while sitting in a football ground is what's really outdated.  

Agreed. There are 168 hours in a week, if you can't go 90 mins without one then you are part of Scotland's drink problem. 

The way I look at this is as follows;

If I don't have a drink at football that has no bearing on anyone else's enjoyment of the game.

If someone else has a drink, and can't behave, then the day is ruined for many especially families. The loss of income from them staying away is offsetting any income from selling drink.

Scotland games are a good example of idiots who get tanked up on their buses travelling from Inverness, Fife and Aberdeenshire , jumping into Glasgow's bars for hours and  then spend the game trotting to the loo and back disrupting everyone else. Imagine if they could get more drink.

Scottish cup final 2016 - what would that have been like with drink involved?

Not for me.

Edited by SouthLanarkshireWhite

17 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

I mean I’m certain every ground has some form of or potential for a family stand so that problem is easily solved . No drink in family sections of grounds 

Try the family section at Hampden - they turn up pished in charge of their kids and no one says anything about it. 

Agreed. There are 168 hours in a week, if you can't go 90 mins without one then you are part of Scotland's drink problem. 
The way I look at this is as follows;
If I don't have a drink at football that has no bearing on anyone else's enjoyment of the game.
If someone else has a drink, and can't behave, then the day is ruined for may especially families. The loss of income from them staying away is offsetting any income from selling drink.
Scotland games are a good example of idiots who get tanked up on their buses travelling from Inverness, Fife and Aberdeenshire , jumping into Glasgow's bars for hours and  then spend the game trotting to the loo and back disrupting everyone else. Imagine if they could get more drink.
Scottish cup final 2016 - what would that have been like with drink involved?
Not for me.

Yes, that was actually the only ever teetotal Scottish Cup final.

16 minutes ago, Crawford said:

You do realise that fans of those sports are probably football fans as well? There is no sport that has a better calibre of fans, not in Scotland anyway as it's mostly the same folk. 

3 hours ago, AJF said:

The topic is being discussed on a different thread, so rather than clog that up I thought it would be best ask the question separately.

In my opinion, the alcohol ban is an outdated policy that serves a limited purpose in the modern game.

Steward and Police presence has vastly changed since 1980 when the ban was imposed and I believe the risks of similar incidents occurring at a match are somewhat mitigated, although you can never fully eliminate this risk altogether whether alcohol is served at the ground or not.

Not to mention the policy hamstrings a potentially lucrative income stream that many clubs would no doubt benefit from.

They don't sell beer at games?