Alcohol and Football

Alcohol and Football  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Roll it out in the lower leagues as a test, see how it goes then take it up to the bigger leagues. Police Scotland will probably down a blanket ban for games like Rangers/Celtic or Rangers/Aberdeen, but do they really expect County and Accies fans to drunkenly riot after a disappointing 0-0 at Victoria Park?

Funnily enough I remember away fans being allowed into the club house for lower league clubs such as East Fife; Annan; Peterhead; Berwick; Brechin City etc. and cant recall one case of trouble. We also allow away fans into the Almondvale suite but I wonder if that's partially due to the fact that the town centre was such a desert for decent boozers.

TBH it doesnt really bother me either way; I just wish so many on my row didn't have such a weak bladder - sometimes its like I'm doing an impromptu mexican wave.

5 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Surely if its an option for home clubs to make a few quid more then why not try it, england havent exactly had mass riots from its introduction and their fans were way worse back in the 80's

As I said I am undecided on the matter. I take young children to home games and for any away games the 2 hour break probably helps me find the bus home!

If the law was to change I wouldn't bat an eyelid. For those suggesting their could be a blanket ban on alcohol at Old Firm games or Rangers/Aberdeen I'd counter that it wouldn't be long before there is a mass campaign to have that overturned.

I very much doubt this will be allowed anytime soon. The Scottish government’s attitude towards alcohol is pretty well established.  I think a lot of the alcohol related COVID measures (eg banning drinking on trains) will quietly remain in place long after the pandemic has passed. 

I don't recall any issues with the bar under the West Stand in Dingwall when it allowed other team's fans in (Caley aside).

I have memories of it being absolutely overflowing with Aberdeen fans once and there was no issue.

EDIT: Any trouble Aberdeen fans cause seems limited totally to the Mallard.

Edited by Comrie

Guest TheJTS98

Depends how much you're willing to pay for it. The Price of Football Podcast had an interesting breakdown of the price of a pint at an English match in one of their editions about a year ago or so.

Once you factor in all the costs and the incredibly high amount of bevvy wasted because there might only be one home game every two or three weeks at times, it becomes a very expensive pursuit and some clubs and many fans might decide it's not really worth it. I'm not against the choice, just not desperate for it either.

I've been to games in Germany, Korea, Australia etc where you can enjoy the game with a pint like an adult. There's really no reason for it not to be available. The police will object, but the police should be reminded that it's their job to make a normal functioning society safe. Enjoying a pint at a sporting event is normal and the police should just deal with it.

1 hour ago, Dylangt7 said:

Well one example of that being different is that those events are age restricted and licenced (in the main). Football is not currently and that's benefited kids and families.

I've taken my kids to enough Scotland games to have experienced each time the numerous ways just one drunk eijeit  can ruin a game for those around them, and thats when no drink is available in the ground.

I'm undecided either way - I would quite like a pint myself at a game although not a big drinker. But I don't think you can ignore the way all Scottish events from birth to death and everything in between revolves around alcohol. I don't think we can be trusted to have nice things yet when it comes to alcohol at football.

This, though I'm less undecided, I can't see how the benefit would make it worth the risks.

Also, my experience of being in relatively rowdy crowds with alcohol is that kunts spill it everywhere. I've been covered in lager watching big games in pubs, at T in the Park and at a Scottish rugby game in Rome. I fkn hate it. If we want women and kids at football games it's very, very much not the way to go.

Quite a few comparisons with other countries here but I think that's irrelevant. We're Scottish, and we rip the arrse out of everything. 

1 hour ago, Blootoon87 said:
1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:
If you cannot go for under two hours without an alcoholic beverage, then you should re-evaluate your relationship with alcohol.

Keep the ban.

If you cannot go for under two hours without a pie then you should re-evaluate your relationship with food.

This is a bad comparison. You need to eat a few times a day, it doesn't alter your consciousness or behaviour and it doesn't affect people near you (smells notwithstanding). If you're going to be eating anyway then why not a pie when you're at the ground. 

You never need alcohol. It's not for hydration, it's a drug.

Guest TheJTS98
3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Quite a few comparisons with other countries here but I think that's irrelevant. We're Scottish, and we rip the arrse out of everything. 

People in other countries say the same about themselves. Korea has a wild drinking culture and even the famously temperate Australians can successfully manage to handle bevvy at any sporting event you like.

There's nothing special about Scottish people that makes this impossible.

I would go for alcohol only being on sale in the home sections of grounds. No way should alcohol ever be on sale to away fans, and I say this from the experience of sitting fairly close to the away section at Pittodrie, and going to most away matches involving Aberdeen in Scotland. If it’s a choice of being on sale in all sections of grounds or not at all, I’m definitely in the keep the ban camp.

8 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

People in other countries say the same about themselves. Korea has a wild drinking culture and even the famously temperate Australians can successfully manage to handle bevvy at any sporting event you like.

There's nothing special about Scottish people that makes this impossible.

Did I say "impossible"? 

I'm not sure how much I'd want to be in a crowd of Aussie rules football fans with drink either. I've never been to Korea but what I know of it makes me think their public behaviour standards are very different to ours, is that fair?

But there's no question Scotland has a particularly bad relationship with alcohol, and drugs in general. 

Guest TheJTS98
8 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Did I say "impossible"? 

I'm not sure how much I'd want to be in a crowd of Aussie rules football fans with drink either. I've never been to Korea but what I know of it makes me think their public behaviour standards are very different to ours, is that fair?

But there's no question Scotland has a particularly bad relationship with alcohol, and drugs in general. 

I've been to the Aussie Rules, and Rugby League, the cricket, and football in Australia loads of times. It's fun. As a day out in terms of atmosphere and people having a good time, it's unquestionably better than your average day out at the football in Scotland. It's designed to be enjoyable. I feel like everything at the football in Scotland is designed to remind you that you're a potential trouble-maker.

It's just watching sport. Except you can go and buy a pint if you want to. It'll be expensive and it'll probably be a bit weak and it'll probably not be what you'd immediately choose in a pub. But it's there if you want. I really don't see what massive problems it would cause. Loads of people are drunk at the football anyway, and the combination of price and strength would limit how bevvied people would get in the stadium itself.

ETA: You're right that in general Korean behaviour standards are very different to Scotland. But that goes out the window with the bevvy. Drinking and shambolic behaviour like I've never seen.

Edited by TheJTS98

One of the reasons I am not bothered about them selling bevvy at the ground is that the beer on offer is invariably going to be shite.

I foresee Ron flogging us bottles of American Bud pishwater served in plastic glasses - no thanks.

I suppose its ok if cooking lager is your beer of choice, but things have changed since the 80s - us cosmopolitan Leith warrior poet types require nothing less than a fine craft ale served properly by a wannabe member of Biffy Clyro..............