Alcohol and Football

Alcohol and Football  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

Yep, appreciate that. However, I'd argue that fans who want a drink on matchdays will drink no matter what. Whether that be at pubs before hand, a carry out for the bus journey or sneaking a bottle into the ground. If you introduce selling alcohol at grounds, you've got the opportunity for football to control the consumption to an extent and have more people in the stadium compared to spread across nearby pubs would be easier to mange I'd have thought.

Aye of course they will but the Police see the match as two hours to dry up. Yes people will sneak booze in but the majority won't and end up with a shite headache by around the hour mark.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

Policy shouldn't be dictated based on what's easiest for the police.

Not in an ideal world but they will absolutely have their say so whoever wants it to happen will need to make a pretty compelling case whether that be on grounds of economics, safety, cultural to counter the very heavy resistance you'll get from the Police. 

15 minutes ago, AJF said:

Could you expand a bit more?

Why would someone wanting a drink while watching football be any different to someone wanting a drink during any other form of entertainment? Football is an entertainment business so it's no different to people fancying a tipple while at a gig, at a comedy show or at home watching the TV.

Well one example of that being different is that those events are age restricted and licenced (in the main). Football is not currently and that's benefited kids and families.

I've taken my kids to enough Scotland games to have experienced each time the numerous ways just one drunk eijeit  can ruin a game for those around them, and thats when no drink is available in the ground.

I'm undecided either way - I would quite like a pint myself at a game although not a big drinker. But I don't think you can ignore the way all Scottish events from birth to death and everything in between revolves around alcohol. I don't think we can be trusted to have nice things yet when it comes to alcohol at football.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

Do you think many would choose to drink in the stadium pre match opposed to the pub?

I think you'd get a few yeah. I think the vast majority would choose to stay in a pub but there would no doubt be those that would go to the stadium.

Certainly in my experience in pubs around Ibrox, they can get extremely busy and it's not always enjoyable being jostled around while trying to enjoy a drink so I could see me heading up to the stadium on occasion if I can't be arsed with that.

8 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

If you cannot go for under two hours without an alcoholic beverage, then you should re-evaluate your relationship with alcohol.

Keep the ban.

You hear this nonsense argument regularly but i've yet to find anyone who has has said they need a drink at the football, it's just whether the option should be there or not.  

Edited by Fratelli

As one of a dwindling band who can still remember when you could buy a beer at a football match; my experiences previously were not particularly awe inspiring. Normally the beer on offer was of the Whitbread best (anything but) or Youngers Tartan variety  It was served up in plastic cups and was either miles out of date (due to the lack of a home game for a couple of weeks) or tasted suspiciously watered down. I also remember a time when someone was working his way through the crowd at a Cardiff home game with a tray of maybe five or six beers. Suddenly the home side scored; up went the crowd; up went the tray and up went the beer - ensuring everyone on the bluebirds home terrace got a "sample".

That being said; I've had beers at Murrayfield and Twickenham and its been a wholly more positive experience. At football in the seventies; you'd usually have to wait up to quarter of an hour to be served; a far more efficient service at the rugby.

One other thing for consideration; I've been to games where supporters have tried to rush down those last couple of pints, and a wee shot, before the game as they'd invariable have to sit around for the next couple of hours  in a Scottish all-seater stadium in mid winter. I suppose one argument against would be that those that got bladdered before the game had a couple of hours to sober up before being allowed out onto the local area again.

One thing though; under licensing laws there is a obligation on the licensee to ensure patrons remain within the law and do not get unduly intoxicated. Every club has its idiots so can see that not many would end up with their license intact after a brief trial.

There is one specific reason for the alcohol ban and that's the OF. They simply cannot be trusted as we've seen.

However, I'll be honest, I certainly don't miss being able to drink (officially) at games. What's more if it was reintroduced you'd end up paying a fiver for less than a pint of shitty Tenents in plastic cup that'll either split or get spilt everywhere. It would also open the door to idiots being, well.. idiots.

A definite no from me.

Edited by Ric

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think you'd get a few yeah. I think the vast majority would choose to stay in a pub but there would no doubt be those that would go to the stadium.

Certainly in my experience in pubs around Ibrox, they can get extremely busy and it's not always enjoyable being jostled around while trying to enjoy a drink so I could see me heading up to the stadium on occasion if I can't be arsed with that.

If we were to follow the English example, wouldn't you need to drink in the concourse? Would that be enjoyable?

I'm undecided either way. I can completely see why they don't allow it.

2 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

You hear this nonsense argument regularly but i've yet to find anyone who has has said they need a drink at the football, it's just whether the option should be there or not.  

You definitely see it first hand in England. There is always a small group of "lads" that just stand in the concourse with their pints lined up and either watch the game on the TVs or run out every time they hear a cheer.

Its weird considering you've paid money to see a game, but their choice, they aren't generally the ones causing trouble in the ground.

I see English clubs want to expand the rules to allow alcohol while viewing the game.

20 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Police Scotland will never go for it.

There are more fixtures than just the OF that fans see as a 'day out' and get on it from early in the morning. For those games the police will see the football as 2 hours of 'drying up' time for those folk.

You could categorise games but who decides that and to be honest there would be reasonable argument to say any OF away game with folk travelling could be seen as a heightened risk and imagine the outcry then.

I'd love to see it back but Police Scotland will just never play ball.

Dont sell booze to away fans then, keep it restricted to home fans, away fans usually get tanked up pre stadium anyway so they probably wouldn't give a f**k

6 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

If we were to follow the English example, wouldn't you need to drink in the concourse? Would that be enjoyable?

I'm undecided either way. I can completely see why they don't allow it.

Im pretty sure you would need to drink in the concourse. Even at junior games where they have a licenced lounge or clubby overlooking the park they have to close the blinds during the match so you can’t have a drink and watch the match at the same time. 

I’d like to be able to say that it’s only because of the Old Firm that we can’t have alcohol at football, and they are probably about 90% of the issue, but look at the Hibs cup final a couple of years ago, the Hearts fan attacking Lennon etc. We all have our bell ends amongst our support. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

1 minute ago, 54_and_counting said:

Dont sell booze to away fans then, keep it restricted to home fans, away fans usually get tanked up pre stadium anyway so they probably wouldn't give a f**k

Just seems pointless to me then.

I'm all for clubs running beer tents etc outside. I just don't see a real need for it indoors. Can't see it being the massive money maker some assume either. Most will no doubt tender a contract and someone else will run this like we do with catering.

Just now, Junior_Arab said:

Im pretty sure you would need to drink in the concourse. Even at junior games where they have a licenced lounge or clubby overlooking the park they have to close the blinds during the match so you can’t have a drink and watch the match at the same time. 

Cheers, did not know that.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

I don't think that would work.

Neither does the wholesale ban, the OF riot wasn't simply down to fans getting smashed off the booze sold within the grounds, they were tanked up pre match, smuggling or taking bevvy into the ground as well

If the alcohol sale is restricted within the grounds i fail to see how fans, especially home fans who usually don't get blootered pre match, will cause massive trouble

I go to games quite regularly in England at different levels and the ability to have a couple of bottles at half time is quite nice, and it just seems daft that a few miles up the road we're not trusted to do so based on a law which was brought in to combat a football culture which is drastically different to the current day.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Just seems pointless to me then.

I'm all for clubs running beer tents etc outside. I just don't see a real need for it indoors. Can't see it being the massive money maker some assume either. Most will no doubt tender a contract and someone else will run this like we do with catering.

Surely if its an option for home clubs to make a few quid more then why not try it, england havent exactly had mass riots from its introduction and their fans were way worse back in the 80's

1 minute ago, 54_and_counting said:

Neither does the wholesale ban, the OF riot wasn't simply down to fans getting smashed off the booze sold within the grounds, they were tanked up pre match, smuggling or taking bevvy into the ground as well

If the alcohol sale is restricted within the grounds i fail to see how fans, especially home fans who usually don't get blootered pre match, will cause massive trouble

It also wouldn't stop fans getting blootered post match either.