Murder in a Small Town

Boo Khaki

6 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

At the time of the crime, the media narrative (most fed by the police desperate for s conviction) was so one sided its easy to see why people went with the guilty verdict

Some of us made the effort to look beyond that - a lot of the media coverage at the time was sensationalist.

Seems to me a lot of folk who are believing the recent documentary are the same folk that believed the media at the time. 

1 hour ago, paranoid android said:

A lot of local folk are now totally convinced that Mitchell is innocent, despite the fact that there was nothing new in the documentary - I can only assume they weren't paying attention at the time of the trial or any of the many subsequent appeals.

It's been on the telly now though.

So watched the first episode and thought it was absolutely amatuerish. I can't confess to knowing great details about the case but after it I don't think they gave any really answers to the case. They scratched the surface of stuff without actually going into it.

A couple of things that struck me where they said that JJ put up one hell of a fight but didn't provide any evidence to provide what this involved.

And in regards to the male with the scratches on his face. They are obviously suggesting that these came from JJ putting up a fight but if that's the case why wasn't his dna on her body?

Like I say not overly familiar with the case but so happy to be corrected.

3 hours ago, paranoid android said:

A lot of local folk are now totally convinced that Mitchell is innocent, despite the fact that there was nothing new in the documentary - I can only assume they weren't paying attention at the time of the trial or any of the many subsequent appeals.

Some of the stuff I’ve seen on Facebook from local people in the area has been unbelievable.

1 hour ago, Dominique Malonga said:

Some of the stuff I’ve seen on Facebook from local people in the area has been unbelievable.

Word - we were saying the other night that if you put every detail of this case into a film, folk would say it was far fetched.

Saying that, though, it's still genuinely hard to come to terms with the fact that something like this could have happened here.

However it happened, the Jones family lost the liassie in the worst way imaginable - I didn't see a lot of sympathy/empathy for them in these documentaries. 

Edited by paranoid android

I remember at the time it seemed a lot of people saying "Luke is innocent"

Fast forward to 2021 and that has grown massively of course due to the documentary.

I'm aware of a prison guard from Polmont who spent time with Luke and he was of the opinion Luke was innocent. Not for him of course to decide but basically the media and police seemed the only ones adamant he's guilty.

Another reason the media in this country need a machine gun taken to them.

2 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Word - we were saying the other night that if you put every detail of this case into a film, folk would say it was far fetched.

Saying that, though, it's still genuinely hard to come to terms with the fact that something like this could have happened here.

However it happened, the Jones family lost the liassie in the worst way imaginable - I didn't see a lot of sympathy/empathy for them in these documentaries. 

That’s what gets me, there appears to be a total lack of empathy from the Mitchell family/Sandra lean.

That documentary the other night was complete nonsense and as for the recreated car scene, that might just be the most ridiculous bit of television I’ve ever watched :lol:

57 minutes ago, Dominique Malonga said:

That’s what gets me, there appears to be a total lack of empathy from the Mitchell family/Sandra lean.

That documentary the other night was complete nonsense and as for the recreated car scene, that might just be the most ridiculous bit of television I’ve ever watched :lol:

The point of the show was to show the concrete lack of evidence to convict Mitchell, to go into the family's tragic loss would diminish this. 

1 hour ago, sfha said:

The point of the show was to show the concrete lack of evidence to convict Mitchell, to go into the family's tragic loss would diminish this. 

That clearly was the point of the show - that's the problem - no balance and poor journalism.

Also, Sandra Lean was smirking a bit too much for my liking - she's doing a live Facebook Q & A tomorrow, btw - I'll be giving that a miss.

Another thing the documentary didn't mention was an account from a young girl who claimed that Mitchell had had a knife at her throat:

Jodi's family hit back over killers claims of innocence | UK | News | Express.co.uk

1 hour ago, sfha said:

As much of a joke as that “show” was, I’m not talking about the documentary specifically when I talk of a lack of empathy on their behalf.

7 hours ago, Dominique Malonga said:

Some of the stuff on Facebook tonight is unbelievable. People who think they have worked it out :lol: 

Some interesting names have popped up on social media over the past few days. 

6 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Jodi's family still live in the same housing estate as me. I remember coming back from holiday a few days after it happened to find sky news and other news channel walking around Easthouses in the days and months after it. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

19 hours ago, supermik said:

Not seen the program yet. Did they mention the fact that his brother sectioned himself the day after the murder and the day that he left the hospital was the day that Luke was charged?

Was his brother not at work at time of the murder - cast iron alibi ?

23 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Some of the stuff on Facebook tonight is unbelievable. People who think they have worked it out :lol: 

Some interesting names have popped up on social media over the past few days. 

Jodi's family still live in the same housing estate as me. I remember coming back from holiday a few days after it happened to find sky news and other news channel walking around Easthouses in the days and months after it. 

Good of you to get your alibi in early.

Was funny watching this with my other half, who is from England so had no idea who Luke Mitchell or even Donald Finlay were - whereas my main memory was of him having bottles of pee in his drawer (Mitchell, not Finlay. Although he might too, who knows).

After the first part I think she was swaying towards him being innocent and based on how it was presented you could certainly see some holes in the prosecution. The second part was nonsense, especially the car reconstruction and trying to use a lie detector to prove he was innocent.

Also amused there was no explanation of why one of the ex cops only had 27 years of service - and good luck using a woman who has a background in "alternative" medicine to win folk over.

Also, does Mitchell's mum live in some sort of shrine or shop dedicated to her son? At one point there was what appeared to be a big picture of him on the wall with what appeared to be prices for different sizes under it.

51 minutes ago, Stu said:

Was funny watching this with my other half, who is from England so had no idea who Luke Mitchell or even Donald Finlay were - whereas my main memory was of him having bottles of pee in his drawer (Mitchell, not Finlay. Although he might too, who knows).

After the first part I think she was swaying towards him being innocent and based on how it was presented you could certainly see some holes in the prosecution. The second part was nonsense, especially the car reconstruction and trying to use a lie detector to prove he was innocent.

Also amused there was no explanation of why one of the ex cops only had 27 years of service - and good luck using a woman who has a background in "alternative" medicine to win folk over.

Also, does Mitchell's mum live in some sort of shrine or shop dedicated to her son? At one point there was what appeared to be a big picture of him on the wall with what appeared to be prices for different sizes under it.

It was an old shop to buy caravans.