Hibernian v Motherwell

12 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I should clarify, I'm just not a big naan fan generally. I don't usually bother ordering one but if it comes with the meal I eat it separately rather than getting it involved with the main dish. I'm not sitting eating dry naan bread regularly of my own volition.

Yes you are. You're a disgrace. 

1 minute ago, ropy said:

Plain, garlic or peshwari?

Would happily eat all three, but would have Garlic Naan in the no.1 position. 

I like a naan with roughly the dimensions of a double duvet - the rest of the curry is basically secondary (but necessary) .  I used to live across the road from the Raj down the Shore in Leith (don't think it still exists) and they used to do a fucking king size naan that required it's own carrier bag.

Oh - and Garlic naan with a normal curry, like a peshwari with something hot.

Edited by Swello

I had tandoori broccoli recently. Fully expecting it to be Sh1te. It was a starter for my sister. 
But by Christ it was one of the tastiest things I had eaten in a long time. From the Green Gate in Stirling. Great Curry House. 

Living in Edinburgh but from Glasgae toon I did find the curry houses through here to be below par. Especially spiced onions where they use to sprinkle chilli powder on onions and that was it.

Been to Dishoom on St Andrews Sq a few times. A bit up it’s own arse. Always show you to the bar downstairs where a bottle of IPA is £6 . Clever really..... Food is OK but strange menu truth be told. 

1 minute ago, Swello said:

I like a naan with roughly the dimensions of a double duvet - the rest of the curry is basically secondary (but necessary) .  I used to live across the road from the Raj down the Shore in Leith (don't think it still exists) and they used to do a fucking king size naan that required it's own carrier bag.

Are they based on an elephant’s ear?

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

I had tandoori broccoli recently. Fully expecting it to be Sh1te. It was a starter for my sister. 
But by Christ it was one of the tastiest things I had eaten in a long time. From the Green Gate in Stirling. Great Curry House. 

Living in Edinburgh but from Glasgae toon I did find the curry houses through here to be below par. Especially spiced onions where they use to sprinkle chilli powder on onions and that was it.

Been to Dishoom on St Andrews Sq a few times. A bit up it’s own arse. Always show you to the bar downstairs where a bottle of IPA is £6 . Clever really..... Food is OK but strange menu truth be told. 

Stirling is well served for Indians.  Green Gate pakora is a favourite of my wife’s.

Mr Singh, East India Club (no longer with us), Spice Garden, Maharaja all excellent.

Mint Leaf has opened in the past year but not had a chance to try it.

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

You are clearly going to the wrong curry gaffs if you go somewhere that sprinkles chilli powder on onions and tells you they are spiced onions, something I have never seen in my entire life.........

17 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

My local do peshwarlic naan which is a combination of garlic and peshwari. Outstanding.

That sounds fantastic. A place up in longstone does "pillow naans" so large you simply have to take them home.

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Been a couple of times with work and it's fine. As you say it's fairly pricey for what it is. For me you can get a far better quality of Indian food for much less money.

Ranjit's Kitchen. The absolute peak of fiscal responsibility and maximum flavour.

On the game - it was good to stop the rot in Paisley on Wednesday and gain a point, but with the athleticism of Hibs midfield and our defence still being patched up I can't see past a fairly routine home win here, sadly. 

On the curry/naan discussion - my local takeaway fairly recently started doing a particularly fine 'Naan Melt'. 

Your choice of Naan (garlic for me), with your choice of topping (south indiam garlic chilli chicken), and covered with melted cheese (paneer I assume but could be wrong). 

An absolute fucking culinary delight. 

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Oh - and Garlic naan with a normal curry, like a peshwari with something hot.

The Raj had good taste in football clubs

IMG_20210227_000214134.thumb.jpg.19d9ebc83f18f1f0ad489aac2228601c.jpg

Not sure if this is common knowledge or not but it's probably the only time I'll ever be #ITK so I'm running with it, been informed that Gallagher has been back in full training this week and should be playing again either tomorrow or in the Livi game.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

Hibs fans' turn to experience the delight of the best match threads on P&B when Motherwell roll into town.

I have a sneaking feeling we'll do okay in this one. Not saying we'll win necessarily and I'd be delighted with a point, but just a sign that we'll manage enough between now and the end of the season to not be in full-on panic mode for the last few games will be enough for me.

Can't remember which match thread it was where I said I was getting involved in Paneer for the first time, but...I didn't.

I really like Dishoom, their breakfasts are an absolute life-saver when you've been out in Edinburgh and wake up hanging. First time anything curried for breakfast was suggested to me I thought my Mrs was an absolute crackpot but one plateful and a bloody mary later and we were back in the pub before we knew it. Smashing.

My favourite Indian is Chaakoo on St Vincent Street though, and has been for ages.

Oh and Naans should be garlic, Pakora should be chicken although vegetable is surprisingly tasty. Mushroom can get in the sea though. Fish pakora, well that's just for lunatics.

Edited by Al B

6 hours ago, tamthebam said:

The Raj had good taste in football clubs

IMG_20210227_000214134.thumb.jpg.19d9ebc83f18f1f0ad489aac2228601c.jpg

Tommy Miah was in the same hospital ward as my dad a few years back. Although they were both quite ill, they got to chatting and obviously the subject got round to food - now my old man was never a curry fan, preferring for some reason the blandness of chinese.
However, he did tell TM that his son was a big curry fan and the next time I went to visit he had arranged for a hamper of loads of his branded indian food and spices for me.

Lovely generous guy (except if you are the tax man). He also used to have The Veranda at Dalry, no idea if its still in his family.

Still on the curry connection I was doing some work last year in the home of 2 young doctors - there were pictures in the office of an older guy with lots of well known faces (like Elton John, a couple Rolling Stones) it turned out the father of one of them used to own Lancers, a fancy curry house in stockbridge which was a bit of a luvvie hangout for a while.

As you can see, the match has really grabbed my attention.......................

The game? Blah, blah whatever. 

On curries, any recommendations for shop bought? M&S range always decent and Iceland (strangely?) do a range of very taste Indian street food stuff. But any real wonders, not to be missed? Paneer or not. 

Anyone ever had a shop bought naan that wasn’t a pale imitation of the restaurant/ takeaway version?