Hibernian v Motherwell

44 minutes ago, 18May1991 said:

The game? Blah, blah whatever. 

On curries, any recommendations for shop bought? M&S range always decent and Iceland (strangely?) do a range of very taste Indian street food stuff. But any real wonders, not to be missed? Paneer or not. 

Anyone ever had a shop bought naan that wasn’t a pale imitation of the restaurant/ takeaway version?  

Usually use Aldi special curry sauce and own ingredients - one chicken, one veggie.

Sainsbury chicken pakoras are good - pricey though.

The best recent Naan I got was from Morrisons, impressive in both size and taste.

8 hours ago, Leith Green said:

You are clearly going to the wrong curry gaffs if you go somewhere that sprinkles chilli powder on onions and tells you they are spiced onions, something I have never seen in my entire life.........

I have been living in Edinburgh for over 30 years so that probably goes a way back. But also you often got onions with cucumber and tomatoes chopped up as an accompaniment to poppadoms as they simply did not serve spiced onions as I and most people know it. 

My curry house of choice for many a year was Omar Kyhayyam at Haymarket. But the standard dropped and could be a bit hit and miss. 

Anyway to the football if we must. Would love to think we can shitfest our way to a result. A draw is probably the best we can hope for. Even on the rare occasion we play OK we have found scoring goals a problem. My heart says 1-1. My head tells me Hibs by 2+ goals 😞

25 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Usually use Aldi special curry sauce and own ingredients - one chicken, one veggie.

Sainsbury chicken pakoras are good - pricey though.

The best recent Naan I got was from Morrisons, impressive in both size and taste.

Agree on both the sauce and Naan fronts. The Aldi ones are decent if you're looking to rustle up a quick and easy hoose curry. Morrisons is good for a Naan and the mini Chicken pakoras from the Deli bit are superb. If you're venturing in your pakora pursuits, the Haggis pakora you get in Asda is lovely. 

Don’t have any anywhere near my place of residence unfortunately.
I am however a huge fan of how this thread is going, talking about the football is boring.
I can recommend a read of any of our recent match threads although you can generally stop reading when the match starts. Anything to take our minds of the actual football.

Has to be garlic nan for me. Sometimes the curry itself is merely a sauce for the nan. I've never found shop bought nans to come close to those bought from a restaurant or takeaway and will sometimes even just get a fresh nan from the local kebab shop to go with the supermarket curries.

Anyway, as usual I'm not confident about today. It sounds as though Hibs are fairly dynamic and like to keep the ball down so should win easily. We're far more comfortable when teams just lump aimless crosses into our box (see Rangers, Kilmarnock).

I’ve given my thoughts on the match a few pages back so on to the proper stuff now.

Being an adopted native of Leith, Desi Pakwan is the top curry house for me. Lots of people seem to like Slumdog but the few times I’ve tried it the curry has been so salty it’s virtually inedible.

On the whole though, Glasgow is miles ahead of Edinburgh in terms of good Indians.

Naan - has to be garlic but I can go a peshwari occasionally. Morrison’s do the best shop bought ones from a brand called Clay Oven Bakery.

Pakora - veg for me. Broccoli and cauliflower both good and wouldn’t say no to mushroom. Sorry.

Mushroom is the best pakora. Don’t get papadums from a takeaway, the ones you get from the supermarket are just as good and you get 10 of them. Papadums are the equivalent of getting an all-you-can-eat buffet for a tenner and then getting skinned 8 quid for a coke. 

We’ll lose 3-1 today, somehow we’ll conspire to allow Colin Nish and Stephen Mallan to score against us. I’ll spend the whole day convincing myself that I’m not paying for a stream, but then definitely will. 

Ready made store bought Indian (and Chinese) food has been banned in my house after a number of false starts, although Morrison’s did a passable chicken pakora.  Haven’t dabbled much in the jars, I may revisit.

The takeaway options around me are generally good such that there are now specific dishes from individual outlets which are favourites e.g. Mr Singh’s channa poori.

However my favourite dish at the moment is actually Chinese, salt and pepper chilli king prawn from the Yung Kee in Bannockburn. Superb.

The Hibs guys sound a good bunch and I think we can all agree a 1-1 draw will suit us both.

Edited by ropy

Starting from when I was a student in Edinburgh until I left 15 years later, if I was ever on the Southside for any reason, I used to use any excuse to go to a wee place called "Kebab Mahal" on Nicolson Square - which seemed to get a lot of custom from the nearby mosque. Unpromising name aside, it was a linoleum floor place, very basic looking and there was no bevvy allowed - but the curry was cheap & brilliant and the Naans were fucking vast .  When we're allowed to move around again, I really need to pop in and see if it's still good. I'm told the Mosque Kitchen that's nearby now is decent too.

7 minutes ago, Swello said:

Starting from when I was a student in Edinburgh until I left 15 years later, if I was ever on the Southside for any reason, I used to use any excuse to go to a wee place called "Kebab Mahal" on Nicolson Square - which seemed to get a lot of custom from the nearby mosque. Unpromising name aside, it was a linoleum floor place, very basic looking and there was no bevvy allowed - but the curry was cheap & brilliant and the Naans were fucking vast .  When we're allowed to move around again, I really need to pop in and see if it's still good. I'm told the Mosque Kitchen that's nearby now is decent too.

Kebab Mahal was great. I used to work round the corner but haven't been for a few years. Mosque Kitchen also good for a fresh cheap lunch,