Raith Rovers vs. Alloa Athletic

8 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Preseason prediction has absolutely nothing to do with how any of us would feel now. My preseason prediction was 6th but If we finished 6th now, it would be disappointing

It does with reagrd to the kind of comment like this:

On 24/02/2021 at 10:20, All-Star-Par said:

Any Raith fan pretending that not finishing in a play off place would be acceptable after the spending in January and their consistent league positions this season is simply trying to delude themselves or, like most other Scottish football fans, possibly preparing themselves for a spectacular arse collapse. 

As for...

4 hours ago, Lang Toun Lad said:

My preseason prediction was a mid-table but we have shown we are capable of playing to a higher level. QoS fans were barely expecting to be competitive this year but I doubt they would be happy with a low finishing position considering their recent results.

...while it's true, there is the big picture.

Ideally, this season, Raith consolidate themselves as at least a mid-table Championship team. Given the financial travails of this year, the paramount goal is stability and predicatability. I'm already concerned that, given the spending on more bench players, we have perhaps slightly over-extended ourselves and threatened this goal. I'm happy with mid-table and stable, sorry if that perplexes you.

We played well at East End and that kind of performance regularly would see us pick up plenty of points. Didn't reach the same level at Inverness but did lead for a long time and showed great spirit to grab a point at the end when it looked like we'd blown it. I really hope that Hetherington out wide on Tuesday was just a short term thing as he was so impressive in the middle at East End and key to our dominance of midfield. Was badly missed there at Inverness. 

Today looks like a tough game again but we really start to winning if we're going to stay in the battle at the bottom. 

11 hours ago, whereismillar said:

we have to start winning games , Raith obviously favourites but our recent performances are encouraging  (compared to the dross earlier season ) 

must say i really miss going to away games , hadn't been to starks since we pumped you out of the playoffs, oh such happy days ..sigh .

I miss the old days of travelling too, Always a favourite going to Alloa as it used to be a great day out, but since they got rid of the coo shed and put up the Gazebo it's a pish place to visit! Nae decent view and the dodgy surface generally meant a drab 1-0 loss, until this season obviously where we had a decent view as handed out lovely wee boxing day skepping, hope we dish out another today, it'd be nice to if not condemned those annoying wasps but at least all but confirm they wont finish above us.

3 hours ago, Scottydog said:

I miss the old days of travelling too, Always a favourite going to Alloa as it used to be a great day out, but since they got rid of the coo shed and put up the Gazebo it's a pish place to visit! Nae decent view and the dodgy surface generally meant a drab 1-0 loss, until this season obviously where we had a decent view as handed out lovely wee boxing day skepping, hope we dish out another today, it'd be nice to if not condemned those annoying wasps but at least all but confirm they wont finish above us.

The first time I visited they still had the coo shed and it was a great place to watch a game. Totally shite place to watch football now though. Whoever thought replacing a great bit of old school terracing with a shitty, wee temporary stand was a good idea has a lot to answer for. 

More optimistic about today following the performances in the last two games (despite only picking up 1 point) than the previous couple before that (even though we picked up 4 points from 6).

Definitely going to be a tall order today though as Raith have came up and done well this year. Would ordinarily say a point here would be a great result, but as Waspie said, it’s wins we need if we are to have any hope of staying up.

(Or a wee ‘no promotion/relegation this season’ decision from Mike and his chums, just to annoy Falkirk)

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

The first time I visited they still had the coo shed and it was a great place to watch a game. Totally shite place to watch football now though. Whoever thought replacing a great bit of old school terracing with a shitty, wee temporary stand was a good idea has a lot to answer for. 

I loved the old Recs and miss it but the club had good reason to do it. That terrace was built on coal ash that had been piled there when Alloa won promotion to the top flight in the early 20s. Club were aware this would need to be addressed at some point. The opportunity arrived to have it all shifted and taken away as infill for the new bridge. Financially it was a great bit of business. For a season we had nothing there but a flat strip which was useless. The gazebo was a decent and affordable quick fix to provide covered seating for away fans when the club weren't going to be able to build a permanent stand. They must have made a decent wee sum selling off the land behind the gazebo too. So while it was a loss in many ways, it was also good work by the club. 

Edited by Waspie

8 minutes ago, Raith_Rasta said:

Nae Abraham. any conspiracy theories?

He's utterly pish, though not much of a conspiracy there.

... though given we have two midfielders coming back into the team, McGlynn probably wanted options on the bench in case neither lasts the 90, while also needing room for Musonda. Meanwhile Gullan is more flexible in terms of where he can play.

Edited by renton

15 hours ago, TxRover said:

...while it's true, there is the big picture.

Ideally, this season, Raith consolidate themselves as at least a mid-table Championship team. Given the financial travails of this year, the paramount goal is stability and predicatability. I'm already concerned that, given the spending on more bench players, we have perhaps slightly over-extended ourselves and threatened this goal. I'm happy with mid-table and stable, sorry if that perplexes you.

I underdtand where you are coming from and think that sounds good in theory but, while a mid-table finish isn't near bad by any stretch of the imagination, I don't think it will lead to stability. It's very likely we'll lose some of our biggest players and struggle to replace them which will then mean we are less competitive next year. The higher we finish the more money we bring in then the greater wages we can offer to kick on.

I've got faith in McGlynn to bring in some good replacements for whoever leaves but it isn't easy replacing your biggest players. Especially those like Hendry who are probably being paid considerably less than they can get else where.