The Hypothetical Roadmap to Getting Fans Back in the SPFL Grounds Discussion

The Getting Fans Back in the SPFL Grounds Questionnaire  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Having lived in a Haymarket tenament for a number of years I found both football and rugby fans to be noisy and messy. But no more so than stag nights hen dos students and the usual weekend revellers.

They added a lot of character to the area and atmosphere. The council wagon that swept up after them in the wee hours was probably worse for noise and mess.

Never did find out who took a dump on my stairs tho.

Cheers Dale.

It's surprising the SFA are aiming to have the Scottish Cup finished this season. I can't see us going from leaving lockdown on 26 April to full Hampden a month later. If they could have the final in a full Hampden as a curtain raiser to the new season then I think that would be an emotional moment and maybe symbolic that we're through the pandemic. And would fill the SFA's pockets.

With the daily case numbers static around 800 or so for a couple of weeks there I think we had reached the limits of this lockdown. The further reduction now seems to be due to the effect of the vaccine. At the current rate I don't see any area remaining in level 4 after lockdown but we're still some way from the case numbers that will enable many  supporters back in grounds it seems.

The best way to do it might be allowing a percentage of capacity back but phase it. 25pc then wait 3wks for spike in cases. If none then 50pc wait 3wks. If none 75pc then wait 3wks. Something like that.

3 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:
Looks like the hypothetical road map for getting fans in could include supporters paying for a rapid test to gain entry to games. 
Cynic in me wonders if that's yet another way for profit to be made during covid... [emoji848]

If this is based on the story about Hearts doing it, I think it's simply successful businesswoman Ann Budge falling for yet another hare-brained scheme from some fantasist.

Edited by craigkillie

I see there are reports on Twitter that UEFA have effectively told the SFA that Hampden won't host any Euro games this summer unless fans are allowed to attend.

I'm hoping this will expedite fans getting back into stadiums.

I was just reading that on the beeb sport website. Sounds like England are ready to take over.

There is no mention of how many fans Uefa are looking for to be in the stadium. Maybe the Scottish government could just give the thumbs up right now to SOME fans being allowed in this summer and fill in the blanks when they know more about the virus's regression as vaccination progresses. It would be a real shame to miss out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56250120

Edit. Realised my earlier idea about opening up an increasing percentage of each stadium's capacity to fans every 3 weeks wouldn't work unless it was restricted to local home fans so that a resulting spike in infections could be properly monitored and also because there won't be many games left after lockdown ends. That's what I get for thinking.

Edited by theboke
Embarrassing typo.

3 hours ago, AJF said:

I see there are reports on Twitter that UEFA have effectively told the SFA that Hampden won't host any Euro games this summer unless fans are allowed to attend.

I'm hoping this will expedite fans getting back into stadiums.

Can't see it. 

Scottish Gov wont be swayed by threats. Even if its within their estimated timelines to have fans back by then, the fact they wont want to promise fans can be back by then might result in them just saying no. 

I really hope fans are likely to be back by then but cant the numbers allowed that UEFA are demanding. Potential to see similar happening in Europe as well as I can't see the likes of Germany allowing fans in large numbers. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Might end up being a championship entirely hosted by England then. Given they have made the greatest progress on vaccination combined with a relatively relaxed view on opening up after lockdown. 

Wonder if the SNP will close the border to stop the Tartan Army heading down to games and bringing new variants back with them.

Might end up being a championship entirely hosted by England then. Given they have made the greatest progress on vaccination combined with a relatively relaxed view on opening up after lockdown. 
Wonder if the SNP will close the border to stop the Tartan Army heading down to games and bringing new variants back with them.
They don't really have the power to close the border down either way, do they?

If only there was a way of having full control of our borders....

27 minutes ago, theboke said:

... Given they have made the greatest progress on vaccination combined with a relatively relaxed view on opening up after lockdown.

I don't think the first part of that is true, I'm sure that both Wales and Scotland have vaccinated a higher % of over 16s than England (first dose). Scotland started off slowly but caught up and passed England's rate a couple of weeks ago, Wales' rate has always been high. Funny that when Scotland's rate was low it was declared a SG failure and was all over the media, since the catch-up it's rarely mentioned. The second part is true but not necessarily sensible IMO.

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

I don't think the first part of that is true, I'm sure that both Wales and Scotland have vaccinated a higher % of over 16s than England (first dose). Scotland started off slowly but caught up and passed England's rate a couple of weeks ago, Wales' rate has always been high. Funny that when Scotland's rate was low it was declared a SG failure and was all over the media, since the catch-up it's rarely mentioned. The second part is true but not necessarily sensible IMO.

We're still last, although the gap is much smaller and closing. Wales are now a bit ahead of England.

One of the silver linings of all this has been the openness with data which has allowed people to produce things like this - https://electionmaps.uk/vaccinations

But the UK are a long way ahead of other European countries on vaccination, so it makes sense for Uefa to look here to host the tournament...yet Scotland has a Covid stricter government...which  all points to down south as being Uefa's best option for successfully hosting the tournament this summer.

11 hours ago, csteinle said:

We're still last, although the gap is much smaller and closing. Wales are now a bit ahead of England.

One of the silver linings of all this has been the openness with data which has allowed people to produce things like this - https://electionmaps.uk/vaccinations

From that link, dose %

image.png.4d1f1da6dc3d549277db6562a2b2e178.png

The difference in the 4 countries is statistically irrelevant when you take into account time to immune response, where these numbers will be in April/ May.

What is (far more) more important is that one potential host country may state that they "can definitely host matches" whereas another may not be able to state that with the 100% degree of certainty the organisers want and needs more time.

Frankly, I struggle with the notion that England can (at this point) state with 100% certainty that they can host fans on the dates mentioned.

The timing isnt ideal, especially as I am supposed to be going to London for the Scotland match....................

Edited by Leith Green

Where has it been stated that England will let in large number of fans. The FA with fanciful thinking chasing money as normal.

As far as I’m aware their June 21st BIG BANG is all dependent on a lot of things going to plan after stage 1,2 and 3 !!!!

There is a lot of water to go under the bridge before fans being allowed in especially in large numbers and there will definitely be constraints to this happening.

Once again lots of Hot Air and bluster from UKs windbag PM. I’m afraid 

Also as has been said I don’t see Germany, France, Spain, Portugal or Holland letting large number of fans attend games. 

UEFA's desperate scramble to get fans in, (many of whom will no doubt be sponsors) just to make more money, should not dictate policy on the easing of restrictions, or indeed have the merest say/influence on it.

That would be selling our safety for a very low price and frankly UEFA can get fucked.

Edited by DA Baracus

39 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Where has it been stated that England will let in large number of fans. The FA with fanciful thinking chasing money as normal.

As far as I’m aware their June 21st BIG BANG is all dependent on a lot of things going to plan after stage 1,2 and 3 !!!!

There is a lot of water to go under the bridge before fans being allowed in especially in large numbers and there will definitely be constraints to this happening.

Once again lots of Hot Air and bluster from UKs windbag PM. I’m afraid 

Also as has been said I don’t see Germany, France, Spain, Portugal or Holland letting large number of fans attend games. 

No chance at all on the bit in bold.

34 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

UEFA's desperate scramble to get fans in, (many of whom will no doubt be sponsors) just to make more money, should not dictate policy on the easing of restrictions, or indeed have the merest say/influence on it.

That would be selling our safety for a very pow price and frankly UEFA can get fucked.

All of this for me.

UEFA have clearly been briefing that "scotland might miss out on fans" though as there was alot of coverage today, and the subtext was that the Scot Gov were not giving out the positive noises they wanted.

I think there needs to be a bit more thought by journalists on this before the usual kneejerk reactions - not least the point made by both of you that - regardless of bluster, England cant give safety guarantees right now.

If folk are allowed into Hampden are we looking at a reduced attendance, 10,000?  Or just go for it.

There was a boy on the radio from one of the pubs around the ground, surely they wouldn’t allow the traditional pre match swally and sing a long? It would be a much more sterile operation would it not?