The Hypothetical Roadmap to Getting Fans Back in the SPFL Grounds Discussion

The Getting Fans Back in the SPFL Grounds Questionnaire  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

28 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Every club will be allowed fans in for the LC group games, won't they? I'm not sure when more areas are set to move to level 1 so a lot of us could be getting an effectively normal crowd by then.

You've also got pre-season games that could be used as a "trial". The only barrier being that no one gives a rat's ass about pre-season matches.

Crowds are allowed, right now... there are friendlies going on, with crowds, every night... but under extremely restrictive conditions.

Tier 2 areas max 500 seated/250 standing; tier 1 areas 1,000/500 (these will apply in LC opening weekend); tier 0 areas 2,000/1,000.

You can apply for increases but in reality many non league and lower SPFL clubs cannot even approach those levels due to the need to allow space for people to stay 2m apart... large areas off limits as 'red zones' and 'amber zones'... use of parts of stands or concourses, in place of benches and dressing rooms... entry/exit routes... etc.

Contact details have to be taken; some clubs are doing temperature checks; everyone is supposed to wear a mask at all times.

So you can get fans in grounds while still under tier system but not very simply and I guess not very profitably.

2 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Wonder if clubs will allow ST holders in for the Betfred games for free as a trial, just as a thanks for the support in the previous season. Probably not :D 

They will let us in for free for the league games.

So though 2 days ago with outdoor limits and 2m to go from July 19th; remaining restrictions and 1m to go from August 9th; sounded optimistic... today:

"We need to understand exactly what that means. August 9th? I don't think that will be full capacity. I think physical distancing will be removed but there will still be limited numbers within stadiums for a period. There might be other mitigations. There still might be facemasks".

Sounds rather more caveated.

On 23/06/2021 at 13:54, ATLIS said:

Wonder if clubs will allow ST holders in for the Betfred games for free as a trial, just as a thanks for the support in the previous season. Probably not :D 

To be honest I think my family have  suffered enough without being expected to go through the indignity of watching the group stages of the league cup

The dentist has a word with the guys

Jason Leitch has revealed Scottish football stadia could be full by August if plans to lift Covid-19 restrictions go ahead on August 9.

It would bring an end to 17 months of empty grounds around the country and allow supporters back in to back their teams if it goes ahead.

It's a huge boost for the SPFL and means the first Old Firm game of the campaign is likely to have a capacity crowd at Ibrox when the Rangers and Celtic meet in August.

It means crowds are likely to be limited on the opening two weekends of the season before supporters get back into the ground for match day three.

That means Celtic's home tie against St Mirren on Saturday August 21 could see the first full house at the stadium, although there is potential for a Premier Sports game the week before at both Ibrox and Celtic Park.

But Leitch confirmed on the Sunday Show on BBC that restrictions will hopefully be removed from August 9, meaning crowds are allowed soon after.

He said: "Then on August 9th, the level system disappears, unless, for instance, there were particular hotspots or the country didn't do what we hope it will do. Maybe vaccinations slow down for some reason.

"It's a little bit indicative, then on August 9th all physical distancing is removed and the limits on event sizes are removed."

And when asked if crowds can return to football in full numbers, he answered: "Yes, they can on August 10th, but we've had to learn that new word, that indicative word, so we have given advice that with a fair wind the trajectory we are presently on with vaccinations, remember, we are vaccinating 300,000 people every 10 days so that's a lot of vaccine and this six weeks buys us quite a lot of vaccine time.

"If people come and that's the important thing people can do then, yes, we hope August 9th and 10th can happen."

I don't really think this is being pushed enough by both clubs and fans.

The reality is the 90% clubs should now be able to at least have all their season ticket holders in their grounds.  

While crowds of 10,000 are out of the question especially at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon surely is time to get creative or maybe clubs all too happy to take govt benefits, season ticket income plus pay-per-view without the matchday overhead costs.

What  would fans put up with to return?

- early / late Sat or Sun kick off times

- time slots to enter grounds

- no kiosks opened

- no pre-match drinking

- no kiosks opened
 - no pre-match drinking

Having been at the Raith game last week and going down tomorrow. I don’t know what the numbers were for last week, but it was a relatively straightforward process having a. Time slot for going in, hands gelled and tickets scanned. Having no kiosks is still a bit of pain in the hoop. I don’t think clubs will push it too much with the August deadline that has been given.

9 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

Having been at the Raith game last week and going down tomorrow. I don’t know what the numbers were for last week, but it was a relatively straightforward process having a. Time slot for going in, hands gelled and tickets scanned. Having no kiosks is still a bit of pain in the hoop. I don’t think clubs will push it too much with the August deadline that has been given.

with everyone that wants to be (or able to) vaccinated by then hopefully most if not all restrictions will be lifted.

I don't really think this is being pushed enough by both clubs and fans.
The reality is the 90% clubs should now be able to at least have all their season ticket holders in their grounds.  
While crowds of 10,000 are out of the question especially at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon surely is time to get creative or maybe clubs all too happy to take govt benefits, season ticket income plus pay-per-view without the matchday overhead costs.
- no kiosks opened
 - no pre-match drinking

Why would a different kick-off time make any difference?

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Why would a different kick-off time make any difference?

Presumably he’s referring to the governments desire to avoid people being under the influence for games, so an early Sunday kick off, as they do for high risk games generally might mitigate that. 

I’m not sure on the value of that plan but think that’s what he’s getting at. 

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Presumably he’s referring to the governments desire to avoid people being under the influence for games, so an early Sunday kick off, as they do for high risk games generally might mitigate that. 

I’m not sure on the value of that plan but think that’s what he’s getting at. 

But he said "early/late", so it can't be that.

10 hours ago, craigkillie said:

But he said "early/late", so it can't be that.

To avoid peak travel times on Saturday afternoons 

Obviously early kick off times  would reduce drink in take before games as would moving games to midweek.

With the majority of the country now vaccinated crowds of 250 or 500 are ridiculous especially as 12,000 was allowed at Hampden for Euros.

3 hours ago, btb said:

So, Level 0 on July 19 which means stadiums and events – with maximum numbers.

I know it's prob'ly somewhere in this thread but what are these maximum numbers?

At Level 0 its 'advised' that maximum numbers are 1,000 for outdoor standing events and 2,000 for outdoor seated events but I think you are able to apply to the Government to increase these limits. I'm also assuming those numbers only apply if you have the physical space to account for social distancing etc.

Edited by dezz

2 hours ago, dezz said:

At Level 0 its 'advised' that maximum numbers are 1,000 for outdoor seated events and 2,000 for outdoor standing events but I think you are able to apply to the Government to increase these limits. I'm also assuming those numbers only apply if you have the physical space to account for social distancing etc.

Seating and standing are the other way around. 1000 standing, 2000 seating.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Seating and standing are the other way around. 1000 standing, 2000 seating.

Sorry, you're right, cheers. Edited my post to fix it. 

Hibs requested 6,000 for friendly v Arsenal next midweek (30% of capacity). Confirmed today request denied: only permitted 2,000 (10%).

Hampden for Euros was permitted 13,000 (25%) at 1.5m.

British Lions v Japan at Murrayfield last weekend was permitted 16,500 (25%) with alcohol.

Fascinating to understand what the difference is...

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Hibs requested 6,000 for friendly v Arsenal next midweek (30% of capacity). Confirmed today request denied: only permitted 2,000 (10%).

British Lions v Japan at Murrayfield last weekend was permitted 16,500 (25%) with alcohol.

Hopefully it's along the lines of "only weirdos get bothered about missing preseason friendlies"

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

The Scottish Govt were hardline until the Euros.  They would not allow 1000 fans at Hampden in May but bizarrely in June 12000 even although Covid cases were rising.  Now back down to a few hundred for the League Cup group stages. July 19 if Level 0 max, 2000.

Yet rugby at Murrayfield had 16000 with drinks served.  No facilities opened at Hampden.

It's just wrong and clubs should be questioning their logic.