The Hypothetical Roadmap to Getting Fans Back in the SPFL Grounds Discussion

The Getting Fans Back in the SPFL Grounds Questionnaire  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know we have the COVID-19 In Scottish Football thread, but I think that's more for news updates and the like.

So in here I want to discuss something that's been on my mind for a while, the Great Return of us humble supporters into SPFL grounds.

Personally, I get the feeling that - even in normal times - the SG + Police Scotland see us being allowed to part with hundreds of pounds for a season ticket to watch our team lose at home to St Mirren as some kind of privilege that we should feel lucky to have, rather than us paying for an avenue of entertainment on a Saturday and expecting to be left in peace.

I fear that allowing fans back into grounds is at the very bottom of their priority list, and as such we could be waiting much longer than we might expect to be attending games as normal again. The "naughty football!" rhetoric has been a feature of the pandemic media coverage in Scotland and I can see that being weaponised against us down the line, but maybe I'm wrong.

How do you see it all playing out? Some polls attached for your consideration.

Edited by HibsFan

I answered your questionnaire would add that I think a passport system will be put in place for the entertainment/ hospitality industry.  An Israeli government offical has admitted he has had talks with Nicola Sturgeon as Isreal looks at geting the younger generation to take the vaccine which many have refused.  

Might want to provide a "I don't buy season tickets" answer for the first question. The only "no" answer is because you aren't buying one because it's behind closed doors. I'm not buying one because I never buy one.

I’ll buy a season ticket and I roughly expect a restricted number of fans to get in by the start of next season.

However I think the SG will err on the side of caution and will not allow full stadiums until after next winter. They’ll claim they want to protect the NHS and it’s too risky during winter so I suspect it will be Spring 2022 before stadiums can open their doors unrestricted.

3 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

If thats what they will claim, what is the real reason?

I think there would be an element of truth to it, however I wouldn’t be surprised to see things like cinemas, music venues and festivals all allowed back before football stadiums are opened.

I’m just a bit sceptical and hold the opinion that the SG view football fans as a nuisance which will likely lead to a delay in allowing us to go back.

Edited by AJF

I wouldn't expect away fans to be allowed in for some time yet, but I am feeling more optimistic that at of the start of next season we will see a sizeable percentage (if not all) of home fans being allowed to go to games. 

Certainly this season is a write-off but by August you are looking at the entire population being offered a vaccine (with priority groups pretty much completed their entire two dose schedule hopefully). Add to this a full summer of hospital, ICU and death figures to look at, which will hopefully show enough to allow fans back in. I would not be surprised that things are pulled back a little in the winter depending on how difficult things are at that time of year, but I am certainly much more optimistic than I was just even a few weeks ago.

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

I wouldn't expect away fans to be allowed in for some time yet, but I am feeling more optimistic that at of the start of next season we will see a sizeable percentage (if not all) of home fans being allowed to go to games. 

Certainly this season is a write-off but by August you are looking at the entire population being offered a vaccine (with priority groups pretty much completed their entire two dose schedule hopefully). Add to this a full summer of hospital, ICU and death figures to look at, which will hopefully show enough to allow fans back in. I would not be surprised that things are pulled back a little in the winter depending on how difficult things are at that time of year, but I am certainly much more optimistic than I was just even a few weeks ago.

You might well be right - but I wonder what constitutes an "away fan"

Scotland is full of fans of teams who live spread all over the country (I'm thinking of myself here!- Dundee United fan (season ticket holder) based in Central Scotland)

You might well be right - but I wonder what constitutes an "away fan"
Scotland is full of fans of teams who live spread all over the country (I'm thinking of myself here!- Dundee United fan (season ticket holder) based in Central Scotland)

Agreed, I know plenty United fans that don’t live in Dundee (and not just in Angus...)

I just think they will keep away sections closed for a while to reduce movement of people. From a purely business perspective it would be terrible for clubs due to larger crowds from certain teams. I think for us we always seemed to be a team who managed to utilise having three stands we could give to a couple of sides and a guarantee of good sized crowds for a few others. Even with full stadiums opened for just home fans there is still a fairly sizeable chunk of revenue being blocked.

Celtic fans should be given a pass for us though. We can just have them all travel from Lochee, no bother at all.

13 hours ago, AJF said:

I’m just a bit sceptical and hold the opinion that the SG view football fans as a nuisance which will likely lead to a delay in allowing us to go back.

Any return strategy will be based on risk. So football fans will be allowed back in decent numbers to stadiums around the same time as large gigs/big outdoor gatherings etc.

This idea that government has it in for football is a bit weird, given the special treatment it's been given. Dave Cormack has been getting way too much air time.

Edited by Mr Heliums