Most friendly City In The World.

ZingaliMan

7 minutes ago, Torpar said:

Glasgow - Where people will stab each other because they happen to live in a different housing scheme from you 

You can throw a lot of dirt at Glasgow but this certainly isn't a problem specific to that city. 

37 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

You can throw a lot of dirt at Glasgow but this certainly isn't a problem specific to that city. 

That's true but it doesn't exactly scream friendly for any city. 

Edited by Torpar

I'll never understand why, when Rangers were liquidated, folk never took the opportunity to move their support to clubs not steeped in sectarianism. 

Because they’re all bigoted scumbags who lap up all that shite, and the new club follows the exact same ideology.

15 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

EDINBURGH you will have had your tea. GLASOW come in have your tea. True true true. 

I've heard this saying for years but in all my visits to peoples house I have never heard either of these sayings been mentioned.......ever. Most people offer you a cup of tea but I think you are meaning the dinner version of 'tea' here.

Do you regularly get offered your dinner when you visit someones house?

A number of years ago I got stuck overnight in Edinburgh due to an unexpected snow storm.  No offer of help and a dreary night stuck at the bus station.

A few years later a similar thing in Glasgow.  This time free drinks at the bar, a bed for the night from a complete stranger and mad filthy sex.

I’m not sure if this make Glasgow more friendly or if the missus is just luckier than me.

Those who connect Glasgow to jaikies, stabbings, sectarianism, scheme running battles,  junkies etc ie endless list of stereotypical sometimes derogatory descriptions), clearly haven't spent any time in the West End, Kelvingrove, Finnieston strip/Hydro, Dennistoun/Duke St or the Southside. I would hazard a guess that a number of these perceptions have been informed by solely frequenting train station, bus station or football pubs/nearest Wetherspoon.. I imagine it is a bit like spending a weekend drinking Carslberg in a Prague Irish bar and then proudly offering an opinion on Czech beer and traditional Czech pubs. 

As for Glasgow being a friendly city, it is no more friendlier than any other city I have lived in when out and about. But I would say that staff in Glasgow pubs are far cheerier and friendlier than pub staff in many other comparable cities. 

4 hours ago, Torpar said:

Since the list is based on tourists I can understand why Glasgow is top, I'm sure all the Yanks absolutely eat up all the "patter" when they visit Glass-cow but like other cities on the list, if your not a tourist then the top 3 cities can be as far from friendly as you get. 

Glasgow - Where people will stab each other because they happen to live in a different housing scheme from you or you went to school named after a saint or not

Dublin - Junkies, Scumbags, dirty 

Montreal - Friendly until they discover you are an anglo Canadian who doesn't speak any French 

The sneering way English Canadians talked about Quebec independence used to remind me a lot of the way English people talk about Scottish independence.

6 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

The sneering way English Canadians talked about Quebec independence used to remind me a lot of the way English people talk about Scottish independence.

And just like the Scottish they voted no, twice. 

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's an under used selling point.

"Visit Edinburgh, we'll gie you peace".

Indeed, for the most part you can rest assured that if you go into an Edinburgh pub, you’ll be left well alone. 

Go into a Glasgow pub, and within minutes some drunken fantasist will regale you with stories of how they are great pals with Paul Ferris, Ally McCoist and Billy Connolly. Lunatics. 

1 minute ago, Glen Sannox said:

Indeed, for the most part you can rest assured that if you go into an Edinburgh pub, you’ll be left well alone. 

Go into a Glasgow pub, and within minutes some drunken fantasist will regale you with stories of how they are great pals with Paul Ferris, Ally McCoist and Billy Connolly. Lunatics. 

They only do that with tourists. My demeanour exudes that I live near enough that they cut straight to the chase and ask for money.

I didn't call anyone dirty, I said the city is dirty. 
I respectively disagree, where I come from jakies are like a foreign cultured west coast chav, it's not that deep. It's the same level of description to me as calling someone posh. Which also doesn't show contempt. 
The post quoted above this one puts what I said across better and admittedly funnier. 

Using the term “chav” disqualifies you from having an opinion.

Edinburgh = Tories so they can f**k off.

Seriously though, no city is friendlier than another. I’ve lived in Glasgow my whole life and consider myself at least a tiny bit friendly, I’m sure it would be the same if I was born and raised anywhere else. If you actually give a f**k about a city being voted friendliest on some daft list then you are for the watching. You’d have to be some level of weirdo to think about booking a holiday and look up friendliest city in the world before doing it.

Also the list is clearly ridiculous cause Dublin is near the top and it’s an expensive shitehole with the worst accent on earth. Go to Galway.