Most friendly City In The World.

ZingaliMan

Guest Bob Mahelp

The way I look at it is that Glasgow almost always is better than people's perception of the city. Great restaurants, the best shopping in the UK outside London, and lots of cracking bars in the city centre that are full of Glaswegians (mostly) having a good time. 

Edinburgh on the other hand is almost always worse than people's perception. Scenically lovely, but when you scratch the surface you find monstrosities like the St James Centre (thankfully gone), that carbunkle thing that is the Waverley Mall, and shitey, cheap poundshops along what should be one of the world's great thoroughfares, Princes Street. 

The pubs in the city centre are full of tourists and pished up students, and you often have to searching for a decent boozer. On the edge of all that you've got the stabbing neds that wander in from the schemes looking for somebody to look at them so they can start some  bother. 

Edinburgh's got some brilliant attractions, but Glasgow is a much better and rounded city. And friendlier. 

1 hour ago, Stormzy said:

Glasgow is a horrible city imo, dirty, "friendly jakies", people make Glasgow type people. 

Edinburgh is a beautiful city, no friendly jakies and people that just go about their own business. 

18 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

i'm not sneering at anyone.

?

1 minute ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

Glaswegians are very precious about their city being the “best” in Scotland. Don’t think anyone else gives a f**k tbh.

Don't forget the funniest. The "glesga" humour. My late dad was from Glasgow and used to always make a joke or tell me some joke he read on FF and he'd always claim some special form of Glaswegian humour. 

Can anyone outline what this is, it might actually exist I'm just unsure on how it could be defined? 

Special shout out goes to Dundee. Went to visit my mate who was at Uni back in the day and upon leaving his flat to go to the shop across the road there was a man dripping head to knees in blood wandering down the street, my mate said to cross the road and me being an innocent friendly rural kid asked should we not help him or something? Cue a second or two later 2 police cars come swerving down the street sirens blaring and they pull up right in front of him. Very surreal for such an innocent soul like myself. 

Had a very enjoyable night out, sung GSTQ outside the student Union like the cretinous wee yoon I am, was good fun. 

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'd say calling folk "dirty" and using words like "jakies" implies disgust and contempt respectively. 

I didn't call anyone dirty, I said the city is dirty. 

I respectively disagree, where I come from jakies are like a foreign cultured west coast chav, it's not that deep. It's the same level of description to me as calling someone posh. Which also doesn't show contempt. 

The post quoted above this one puts what I said across better and admittedly funnier. 

Edited by Stormzy

1 minute ago, Stormzy said:

I respectively disagree, where I come from jakies are like a foreign cultured west coast chav, it's not that deep. It's the same level of description to me as calling someone posh. Which also doesn't show contempt. 

"Jakie" is a derogatory term. "Posh" isn't. 

The way I look at it is that Glasgow almost always is better than people's perception of the city. Great restaurants, the best shopping in the UK outside London, and lots of cracking bars in the city centre that are full of Glaswegians (mostly) having a good time. 
Edinburgh on the other hand is almost always worse than people's perception. Scenically lovely, but when you scratch the surface you find monstrosities like the St James Centre (thankfully gone), that carbunkle thing that is the Waverley Mall, and shitey, cheap poundshops along what should be one of the world's great thoroughfares, Princes Street. 
The pubs in the city centre are full of tourists and pished up students, and you often have to searching for a decent boozer. On the edge of all that you've got the stabbing neds that wander in from the schemes looking for somebody to look at them so they can start some  bother. 
Edinburgh's got some brilliant attractions, but Glasgow is a much better and rounded city. And friendlier. 

Think it was Stewart Lee that said Edinburgh conveniently hides all of the shite bits behind the big rock

Don't forget the funniest. The "glesga" humour. My late dad was from Glasgow and used to always make a joke or tell me some joke he read on FF and he'd always claim some special form of Glaswegian humour. 
Can anyone outline what this is, it might actually exist I'm just unsure on how it could be defined? 

My experience of working in the bookies is that aulder Celtic men have this self-conscious thing of being patter merchants full of wisdom which in its best form can make someone a great laugh and good fun to be around and in its worst acts as a thin veil for overbearing bigoted arseholes.

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

"Jakie" is a derogatory term. "Posh" isn't. 

I dont use it as a derogatory term, I use both terms above as descriptive terms. 

You may use it in a derogatory fashion. 

What a strange thing to get hung up about anyway, on a thread about Glasgow on a forum where people joke around all day..

Scotland will only be free when we combine Edinburgh and Glasgow into one futuristic mega City.  I've drawn up some initial blueprints for how the centre of New Scotia will look.

Image result for futurist mega city

All division in Scotland between Edinburgh and Glasgow will be ended and we will storm forward to a new glorious fruture of prosperity and freedom.

8 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Scotland will only be free when we combine Edinburgh and Glasgow into one futuristic mega City.  I've drawn up some initial blueprints for how the centre of New Scotia will look.

All division in Scotland between Edinburgh and Glasgow will be ended and we will storm forward to a new glorious fruture of prosperity and freedom.

Ocean Terminal looks pretty good there NGL.

2 hours ago, Stormzy said:

Glasgow is a horrible city imo, dirty, "friendly jakies", people make Glasgow type people. 

Edinburgh is a beautiful city, no friendly jakies and people that just go about their own business. 

You're full of contradictions, aren't you? When you were choosing your team you really did have better options given your preference for the East and present location. What factors did you consider?

6 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I dont use it as a derogatory term, I use both terms above as descriptive terms. 

You may use it in a derogatory fashion. 

You don't think calling someone a name is derogatory? I'm not sure that's for you to decide.

I'm not hung up on it, I'm just a bit fed up of the attitudes towards drug users in this country.