Super Saints v Motherwell crocked 11 rd 2

In the spirit of brotherly love with our Paisley buddies. 

They should be happy with top 6 and it would be a very good achievement. Unfortunately this year it does not bring the financial benefit of another home Old Firm game. But getting into the top 6 makes 5th place an outside possibility. Finishing 7th makes an 8th place finish a possibility. 

With every £ being of more value in Covid times then that could mean a difference of £250k. Not to be sniffed at. 

I hope you make it beating Ross C and Hamilton en route. 

Edited by welldaft

From the 3 games between us I didn't think there was much between the teams, especially in the games in Paisley.

It's easy to say we should have caused more problems last night but I though Motherwell defended from the front excellently. Their 3 forwards didn't let us settle from the first whistle and it unsettled us, so many stray passes and kicks going out the park because of the intense pressing high up the park. Credit has to go to Motherwell, we couldn't get into a rhythm and do much damage in the final third because they didn't allow us to get at their 'weak' centre halves, and when we did Kelly pulled off a stunning save.

You can't expect to just show up and win games in this league most teams aren't good enough for that, you have to graft and earn the 3 points. FWIW I'm not saying we were expecting an easy win, it's just a fact. 2 honest (on the whole) teams grafting and giving their all last night.

3 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Worse game of football I had seen in ages. Both teams were poor. We looked knackered and set up was all wrong. 

I've promised myself I'd stop whinging about tactics since the Parkhead game, but I'm not sure I'll ever be convinced by a 3/5 at the back. I'm hoping it's just because we're setting up to be solid given our fatigue levels and that we'll revert when we're less knackered, but it still never feels quite right to me.

20 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I've promised myself I'd stop whinging about tactics since the Parkhead game, but I'm not sure I'll ever be convinced by a 3/5 at the back. I'm hoping it's just because we're setting up to be solid given our fatigue levels and that we'll revert when we're less knackered, but it still never feels quite right to me.

I think we will. I also think another problem is the players will have barely been training the last month. The three at the back is probably being played out of necessity as they haven't had the chance to really work on anything else.

Edited by GAD

5 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I can't even think of any incident close to being a penalty.

I think Alexander is a fantasist.

I think it was the incident where Watt hit the byline and cut the ball back but he also wanted McCarthy sent off as the last man when Watt pushed him to the ground at the side line and then fell over him.

I would imagine comments like these come from a position of panic because he hasn’t been able to turn things around as expected.

Manager playbook page 1............if in doubt........deflect 😉

34 minutes ago, Torfason said:

I would imagine comments like these come from a position of panic because he hasn’t been able to turn things around as expected.

What do you mean by as expected? He's been manager for 10 games, before he came in our last ten games were D3 L7. He has W3, D3, L4. Granted, two of the defeats have been hideous, but he has literally won four times the points in the period.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

What do you mean by as expected? He's been manager for 10 games, before he came in our last ten games were D3 L7. He has W3, D3, L4. Granted, two of the defeats have been hideous, but he has literally won four times the points in the period.

Aye, that's twice I've seen you play now, post-Alexander, and on both occasions you have looked absolutely nothing like a broken team. You've also not looked like a good team (and nor have we, tbf) but the players are trying and pressing and covering ground. If those elements were missing I'd be worried for you (sideways glance at Killie), but you'll stay up fairly comfortably, I'd think.

8 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

The comment was very much aimed at his reaction to recent form.

Getting pumped by Accies and the Saintees was definitely not the expectation............I’m sure he looked at these as games he expected points........not 7 goals against.

14 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Aye, that's twice I've seen you play now, post-Alexander, and on both occasions you have looked absolutely nothing like a broken team. You've also not looked like a good team (and nor have we, tbf) but the players are trying and pressing and covering ground. If those elements were missing I'd be worried for you (sideways glance at Killie), but you'll stay up fairly comfortably, I'd think.

He doesn't have the players to be good as he inherited a completely disjoined squad that is, with a few exceptions, full of absolute dogshit. And he knows it.

Stay in the league by whatever means necessary, get rid of everyone (most of the squad is out of contract at the end of the season), and then start again to build something that's actually decent.

He's done an unbelievable job since he's been here. I liked Robinson for the most part but it was beyond the point for him to move on by the time he actually did. I 100% believe we wouldn't have taken any of the points we have since he resigned, as the players aren't good enough and he didn't know what to do with them.

As far as I'm concerned, Alexander has single handedly kept us in the league without a doubt.

34 minutes ago, Al B said:

He doesn't have the players to be good as he inherited a completely disjoined squad that is, with a few exceptions, full of absolute dogshit. And he knows it.

Stay in the league by whatever means necessary, get rid of everyone (most of the squad is out of contract at the end of the season), and then start again to build something that's actually decent.

He's done an unbelievable job since he's been here. I liked Robinson for the most part but it was beyond the point for him to move on by the time he actually did. I 100% believe we wouldn't have taken any of the points we have since he resigned, as the players aren't good enough and he didn't know what to do with them.

As far as I'm concerned, Alexander has single handedly kept us in the league without a doubt.

Reminds me a bit of when Kearney took over at us, or Ross prior to that in the Championship. To outsiders we still appeared to be shite, but the fans could see the difference in the performances and the attitude among the players. We stayed up by the skin of our teeth on both occasions, but both survivals led to something better.

8 hours ago, Torfason said:

The comment was very much aimed at his reaction to recent form.

Getting pumped by Accies and the Saintees was definitely not the expectation............I’m sure he looked at these as games he expected points........not 7 goals against.

Crikey you live in the moment. He has barely been in the door. You are deciding recent means a couple of games. Most people would refer to recent as couple of months not weeks. 

Either way Accies pumping us is sadly nothing new. If they stay in the top flight we will have no one to blame but ourselves. If we even took 50% of points off them we would be clear of danger and they would be odds on to go down. 

As for Perth Saints. Getting pumped was the expectation. Certainly as soon as I saw the line up I would have taken 2 or 3-0 and move on. That was a team line up that was akin to having 6 or 7 key players missing with Covid !

Wed night was a big game. If we had surrendered to another several goal humping then the writing would have been on the wall. But it was a battling performance. Not any quality but shows there is still fight left in this team. We also have 3 or 4 starters to come back so hopefully we can get the few wins to get us safe for a major rebuild in the summer. 

Edited by welldaft