Super Saints v Motherwell crocked 11 rd 2

2 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Jim saying he expects 3-4 players back for tomorrow - sadly for Saints it's Well players he was talking about.

Probably a bit of 'manager speak' as I don't think he'll have any inside info on Well's injury problems.

O'Donnell back after suspension , depends on whether O'Hara and Campbell have recovered from illness , I think that's the only three who might play !

Saw this on twitter , guy is usually spot on with all thins St Mirren. The Motherwell injury situation ahead of the St Mirren game. M O’Hara and A Campbell doubts with illness and D Gallagher is out. B Mugabi, S Lawless, L Grimshaw, S Seedorf, E Nolan, S Foley and H Smith all out too. T Carson, C Dunne, L Donnelly and S Fox long-term absentees.

Edited by billyg

11 hours ago, FTOF said:

They might have more injuries, but their squad is significantly larger than ours. At 25 players, only The Fakes squad at 24 is smaller than ours.

As others have mentioned we have 18 fit players.* Three are 'keepers and two are young players with about 30 minutes of first team experience between them. What we've achieved over the past few weeks is remarkable, given the circumstances. 

FootballSquads - Scottish Premiership - 2020/2021

* Quaner only resumed training yesterday, so hopefully he will be able come into contention for Wednesday. Maybe the MIA Brandon Mason might re-appear.

The only change I can see is McAllister coming in for Connolly.

Hope the shitey weather doesn't spoil what should be a decent game.

I've always felt a squad of 22 should be enough, and to focus on quality over quantity. Obviously there'd need to be versatile utility players, but I have always wondered why squads need to be so big. 

24 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

I've always felt a squad of 22 should be enough, and to focus on quality over quantity. Obviously there'd need to be versatile utility players, but I have always wondered why squads need to be so big. 

Agreed. On the flip side, it provides more jobs.

12 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's just become a ridiculous monkey that we need to get off our back. It's hardly going to happen every season, but if we can shift from our natural position being between 8th and 16th to it being (occasional) 5th to 11th (more in line with where you guys have tended to be), that'll be a huge long-term step in the right direction.

When was the last time St. Mirren went down?

So here's the question, do we "risk" Henderson or Jamieson with the possibility it could derail our top 6 chances? These guys are clearly deemed good enough to be in the squad and then in turn on the bench, and they need to get game time at some point. When better than against a side that is equally crippled by injuries (and presumably confidence)? Both players are played up field so we'd still have a strong back line.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
On 21/02/2021 at 21:25, glenburn bud said:
This game definitely falls into the must win at all costs if we want to cement the top six spot.

It's not really but 4 points from the next 2 probably is.

I’m greedy I want 3 points tonight and on Saturday, job done 😀

So here's the question, do we "risk" Henderson or Jamieson with the possibility it could derail our top 6 chances? These guys are clearly deemed good enough to be in the squad and then in turn on the bench, and they need to get game time at some point. When better than against a side that is equally crippled by injuries (and presumably confidence)? Both players are played up field so we'd still have a strong back line.
I wouldn't read too much into the fact they are on the bench. I think they are there for emergencies only. Otherwise they'd have gained some minutes before now.

We seen it with one of the youths last season, was it the centre half Glover who played against Livi? We lost 3 goals and he hasn't really been seen since in the first team. It can possibly destroy them if they aren't ready.

14 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I wouldn't read too much into the fact they are on the bench. I think they are there for emergencies only. Otherwise they'd have gained some minutes before now.

We seen it with one of the youths last season, was it the centre half Glover who played against Livi? We lost 3 goals and he hasn't really been seen since in the first team. It can possibly destroy them if they aren't ready.

I personally think it's different for defenders: they are more exposed. Midfielders, especially out wide, and forwards should be capable of getting some minutes here and there.

That said, Ethan has done incredibly well not to be totally ruined by his spell at left back under Kearney. I'd love to hear his honest thoughts on whether that helped or hindered him.

28 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Glover left for Albion Rovers last summer.

11 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

Yeah, most clubs binned their youth/reserve sides.  Others didn't. 

If you think that squad list is First Team only then you're mental.  It's all players that have been given a squad number no matter what level at the club they are in.  Be it First Team, Reserves or Youth.   

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

They've had game time, in the early rounds of the League Cup, and Jamieson (or was it Henderson, it was certainly one of them) went off on loan and only came back in January.

I'll be honest, Goodwin doesn't seem the manager to just stick makeweights on the bench. They were moved up to the first team for a reason and that reason was to play. Now granted that was probably based on potential as well as performances in the youth squad and they may not have progressed as expected, but this is still the "perfect" opportunity for them to be tested at this level. Yes, it's an important game but, with the fixture pile up, if they could be given game time it could take pressure of others who may be tiring or carrying a knock.

You can probably tell from that reply that I am keen to see them get a chance, but equally I'm aware that others may feel there are too many possible negatives.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

They've had game time, in the early rounds of the League Cup, and Jamieson (or was it Henderson, it was certainly one of them) went off on loan and only came back in January.

I'll be honest, Goodwin doesn't seem the manager to just stick makeweights on the bench. They were moved up to the first team for a reason and that reason was to play. Now granted that was probably based on potential as well as performances in the youth squad and they may not have progressed as expected, but this is still the "perfect" opportunity for them to be tested at this level. Yes, it's an important game but, with the fixture pile up, if they could be given game time it could take pressure of others who may be tiring or carrying a knock.

You can probably tell from that reply that I am keen to see them get a chance, but equally I'm aware that others may feel there are too many possible negatives.

Have seen Jamieson a couple of times and thought he looked promising,

So I'm pretty surprised we've not seen even a few late cameos for him over the last few weeks.

In the last 3 games it's been right in the last 20 though, and maybe didn't want to take a risk.

He's also not particularly tall which is perhaps why Erwin came on late against Livvy to help out defend against their giants.

Oh absolutely, I don't mean they aren't good enough and there is a reason why Goodwin has them on the bench but in my opinion if they were going to feature they would have done so by now.

I'd rather one of them got a shot instead of watching McAllister blow out his arse for the last 20 minutes where he is ineffectual anyway but theres got to be a reason why they haven't came on. Maybe the lack of match fitness along with their age maybe means they could be at risk of injury. Feck knows.

4 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Being thrown in against an in form Dykes was a bit unfair. He started off ok but think he was subbed after an hour. It's a different scenario with the 2 youngsters on the bench as they are forward players, but I would still like to see them on the park. I think we will after the split.