Super Saints v Motherwell crocked 11 rd 2

21 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

We have a small squad. Many games this season we have been unable to fill the bench and is the reason for the postponed games as we only had 12 players available (inc 4 keepers) when Covid hit.

In January we let 3 players go and brought in two - both now injured having hardly kicked a ball for us. For the last few weeks our bench has consisted of 2 keepers, 3 boys who have never started a first team game, and 2 experienced players.

I agree with @Ralstonite - we are probably safe to start playing a couple of the young guys now, certainly if we manage to scrape into the top six.

Loving this we have more injuries than you bragging....

I knew St Mirren had a fair few key injuries especially McGrath I think it is who has already scored a couple of times against us iirc.  And Brophy of course.

How many actual 1st team picks are missing for St Mirren ? 

As well documented we had around 7 or 8 last Saturday.

If we can get 3 or 4 back then given the St Mirren injuries I think we can agree we have similar number. So no excuses for Motherwell to turn in another limp dick performance !

Again that assumes we have more than just SOD's coming back and no one else had fallen pray to injury gods that have seen us punished (possibly) for past sins. Or just players that are made of glass and have no appetite to get involved in a battle 🤬

2 minutes ago, welldaft said:

How many actual 1st team picks are missing for St Mirren ? 

Brophy and Dennis up front, McGrath in AM and Jake Doyle-Hayes in midfield are all stick-on first choices, and in JDH and JM are probably our best players this season. Happy to accept you've got more injuries; it's a bit of a weird thing to be bragging about, tbh.

21 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

If you think that's bad we signed one that we can't be certain actually exists. 

I think the media team have taken a Jake Hastie picture (no one remembers what he looks like) and doctored it through photo shop to create this image of a theoretical signing.

BF2336F1-4598-4CA9-8915-1411209A7282.png

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Brophy and Dennis up front, McGrath in AM and Jake Doyle-Hayes in midfield are all stick-on first choices, and in JDH and JM are probably our best players this season. Happy to accept you've got more injuries; it's a bit of a weird thing to be bragging about, tbh.

Quaner and Mason would be there or thereabouts if fit as well, so it's at least 6 who would have played a big part in this run of games. We've also got guys playing last few weeks that are clearly carrying niggles. I'm pretty sure Connolly, Fraser and Flynn wouldn't be playing the minutes they are right now if we could help it.

Who is bragging? I was answering a query. St Mirren have six first team players out injured four of whom are automatic picks and one, Quaner, is an ex EPL player whom we had hoped would be a first choice automatic pick. Mason is the only left back we have on our books.

All I heard on the radio last weekend was poor Motherwell and the number of injuries they had. However they still managed to have mostly first team players in their team and a bench the same size as ours even though they had 35 out injured. You would think Motherwell were the only team in the league with injury problems.

2 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Who is bragging? I was answering a query. St Mirren have six first team players out injured four of whom are automatic picks and one, Quaner, is an ex EPL player whom we had hoped would be a first choice automatic pick. Mason is the only left back we have on our books.

All I heard on the radio last weekend was poor Motherwell and the number of injuries they had. However they still managed to have mostly first team players in their team and a bench the same size as ours even though they had 35 out injured. You would think Motherwell were the only team in the league with injury problems.

Calm down to a panic !  Bragging maybe was the wrong terminology to use. Comparing if it makes you less agitated..

Re Saturday - First team players maybe but they should be nowhere near 1st team picks. With the exception of Celtic Covid 11 v Livi and Hibs no team would have been missing anywhere near the amount of starters as we had last weekend. 

That is about it. It is in the past. We were always going to lose v St Johnstone with that line up. 

Hopefully come Wed we will have a comparable team v St Mirren and no excuses win, lose or draw. 

What was very wise....was the incredibly long time St Mirren took to acclimatise before reaching such a high altitude.
FWIW I would be happy for St M to get a top6 finish. Of course it needs to be without 2 or hopefully 3 points from 2moro night.

18 minutes ago, welldaft said:

What was very wise....was the incredibly long time St Mirren took to acclimatise before reaching such a high altitude.

It's just become a ridiculous monkey that we need to get off our back. It's hardly going to happen every season, but if we can shift from our natural position being between 8th and 16th to it being (occasional) 5th to 11th (more in line with where you guys have tended to be), that'll be a huge long-term step in the right direction.

Edited by Coventry Saint

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

They might have more injuries, but their squad is significantly larger than ours. At 25 players, only The Fakes squad at 24 is smaller than ours.

As others have mentioned we have 18 fit players.* Three are 'keepers and two are young players with about 30 minutes of first team experience between them. What we've achieved over the past few weeks is remarkable, given the circumstances. 

FootballSquads - Scottish Premiership - 2020/2021

* Quaner only resumed training yesterday, so hopefully he will be able come into contention for Wednesday. Maybe the MIA Brandon Mason might re-appear.

The only change I can see is McAllister coming in for Connolly.

Hope the shitey weather doesn't spoil what should be a decent game.

39 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Shame really that they both seem to have more impact on games from the bench. You're right, though, I can't see who else could possibly rotate at this point. 

Jim seems wedded to a 5-3-2/5-3-1-1 at the minute, so it'll probs be:

Tait - Fraser - McCarthy - Shaughnessy - Durmus

Flynn - Erhahon - McPherson

McAllister - Obika

Durmus must be absolutely fucked at the minute, mind. Imagine having to convert to a wing back and then playing two games a week for a month+.

It seems like SOD will be our only player definitely back for tomorrow, which we knew anyway. Centre half and centre mid still looking weak with Campbell and Ohara both doubtful, but fingers crossed they can at least make the bench to give us some options in the second half.

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

They might have more injuries, but their squad is significantly larger than ours. At 25 players, only The Fakes squad at 24 is smaller than ours.

As others have mentioned we have 18 fit players.* Three are 'keepers and two are young players with about 30 minutes of first team experience between them. What we've achieved over the past few weeks is remarkable, given the circumstances. 

* Quaner only resumed training yesterday, so hopefully he will be able come into contention for Wednesday. Maybe the MIA Brandon Mason might re-appear.

Where the hell are all your 18's-19's.  Did you sack them all?  Or are you not comparing like for like?

48 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

Where the hell are all your 18's-19's.  Did you sack them all?  Or are you not comparing like for like?

We have 4 including a keeper and they are already in the squad. As there is no Reserve League we do not have a reserve team as such this season. The few that were left are out on loan. Two of our four were out on loan and pulled back in January to bolster the first team squad.

Edited by NorthBank

5 hours ago, FTOF said:

Ours is only 24 if you count 2 players who'd be on loan if the lower leagues weren't shut down, plus 2 keepers. When we signed Charlie Gimour I believe it was the first time this season we had more than 18 senior outfield players.

Weve had injuries forcing us to play Rooney as a centre back and McCann as a full back. Wotherspoon had played about 5 positions. O'Halloran as a full back. May has been played as a winger.

Motherwells issue is they've built a shite squad.