Jump to content
Lola montez

Super Saints v Motherwell crocked 11 rd 2

Recommended Posts

Please Goody, give us a game which isn’t ruined by a blunder, mis-hit or deflection against this mob.  I suppose anything other than a 0-3 is a bonus. 

 

Thankfully the the game is played in a stadium that doesn’t look like somewhere ISIS mistook for a UNESCO world heritage site and destroyed it. 

 

Erwin hat trick anybody

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This game definitely falls into the must win at all costs if we want to cement the top six spot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, I'd just take a game that isn't being played in a howling gale for once!

We really could do with a win here, and considering the mess Motherwell are in just now on paper it should be a solid 3 points. We've not had our injuries to seek either and have been playing 2 games a week for what seems like several months now (it's not, but it feels like it). From a St Mirren point of view we'll just need to hope we can get it over the line, both metaphorically and literally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn’t realise that Well had a load of players out recently, so Wednesday might be down to who gets players back. 

From what I can gather Saints aren’t likely to get anyone back by Wednesday, so our 7th game in 22 days with a squad which is effectively 13. 

Well have 11 first team players out though according to their fans on the St Johnstone match thread, so this could come down to who wants it most. 

Just hope that is Saints. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lola montez said:

Please God, give us a game which isn’t ruined by a blunder, mis-hit or deflection against this mob. 

I'm not spiritual but have FTFY for those who are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me this game really could determine whether we can escape the drop and/or avoid play off. 

I know Buddies will disagree but there is more at stake for Motherwell. I get why u want to finish top 6 since the last time that happened the Pyramids were being built. 

But knowing that your fate could be relegation for the 1st time in 36 or so years should be a bigger motivating factor for a group of players. I say should be but knowing our mob 🤷‍♂️ .  The sad reality is that come 16:45 on Wed and our team is similar to Saturday then I will sell the house and lump the proceeds on St Mirren. 

GA said he felt the team on Saturday could get something. Lets face it he had too. The reality is that defence and midfield would not be out of place in League One and even then. The game was lost before it even started. So we need to somehow see a minimum 4 or 5 1st teamers back or we are in big trouble. I hope that some players realise our current predicament and play like I know Ross C, Hamilton and Killie would. But knowing our mob 🤷‍♂️

Edited by welldaft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I know Buddies will disagree but there is more at stake for Motherwell. I get why u want to finish top 6 since the last time that happened the Pyramids were being built. 

Nah, I'd agree with you. I've genuinely only been bothered* about reaching the top six since it looked like it was reasonably likely. Disappointed if we don't make it, but we've still had a good season. Whereas obviously we know what it feels like to be where you are. I'm quite pleased not to have that knot in my stomach at the moment.

I'm really surprised, mind: after our last game I really thought Alexander was going to have you in decent shape. You looked up for it, hard working, and moved the ball about pretty well. Obviously only a mental penalty that gave us the draw.

FWIW, I still think you'll stay up. As worrying as your form is, County and Accies' form is only marginally better, and I don't think there's enough for both of them, and Killie, to overhaul you.

 

 

*Where the definition of bothered is actually feeling annoyed if it doesn't happen: I've obviously always wanted it to happen, it's just never previously been worth devoting much mental energy to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we get enough players back to be able to bench Lamie, Magloire, Polworth and Crawford, we might compete in the game. Otherwise, I will be watching with great pessimism. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Nah, I'd agree with you. I've genuinely only been bothered* about reaching the top six since it looked like it was reasonably likely. Disappointed if we don't make it, but we've still had a good season. Whereas obviously we know what it feels like to be where you are. I'm quite pleased not to have that knot in my stomach at the moment.

I'm really surprised, mind: after our last game I really thought Alexander was going to have you in decent shape. You looked up for it, hard working, and moved the ball about pretty well. Obviously only a mental penalty that gave us the draw.

FWIW, I still think you'll stay up. As worrying as your form is, County and Accies' form is only marginally better, and I don't think there's enough for both of them, and Killie, to overhaul you.

 

 

*Where the definition of bothered is actually feeling annoyed if it doesn't happen: I've obviously always wanted it to happen, it's just never previously been worth devoting much mental energy to it.

Tbh the Accies and Saints games have skewed a lot of people's opinions.

That's not to say we'll go out and win this (I don't think we will as our injury situation that's been well documented) but this is our current form for the last 6 games, we've lost the last 2 one where we were playing the majority of the game with 10 men (but would probably have lost anyway because we're shitebags against Accies) and the other we were missing half the team starting that started against your lot in Alexander's first game. County's freakshow last night has bumped them up massively:

182459720_ScreenShot2021-02-22at09_44_15.png.5893aa66de300b73451661ae37779c47.png

Edited by capt_oats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm always suspicious when opposing fans say that we'll win comfortably. 

We're still down to the bare bones. I'm not sure if Quaner will be able to make a short cameo? Probably a bit too soon for him. Has there been any word on Mason? 

Our home form hasn't been great, last 3 away games (Pittodrie, Parkhead and Tannadice) we've picked up 7 points. Last 3 home games (Livingston, Hamilton and Celtic) we've picked up 2.

I could see another draw here. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh the Accies and Saints games have skewed a lot of people's opinions.

That's not to say we'll go out and win this (I don't think we will as our injury situation that's been well documented) but this is our current form for the last 6 games, w'eve lost the last 2 one where we were playing the majority of the game with 10 men (but would probably have lost anyway because we're shitebags against Accies) and the other we were missing half the team starting that started against your lot in Alexander's first game. County's freakshow last night has bumped them up massively:

Yeah, fair enough. I think I was looking at a 'last 10' table which was why I had you a bit further down, but still, three wins from six is absolutely fine. I mentioned a few games ago that we were clearly drawing our way to arithmetical safety, and agree with @houston_bud - another D here probably wouldn't be the worst result for either team.

27 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

If we get enough players back to be able to bench Lamie, Magloire, Polworth and Crawford, we might compete in the game. Otherwise, I will be watching with great pessimism. 

What happened to Polworth; wasn't he looking decent for you? In my head, I'd happily have him at Saints, but that's without having seen him much this season. Not sure what's up with his contract but could see us going in for him in the summer, especially if we don't get JDH, (unless Polworth's become a complete car crash).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Polworth is a luxury player. Great when the going is good but does not appear to be the type of player you need for a relegation battle. 

On his day our best midfielder. But that day comes once every two months and even less this season. 

I can see him heading to Hearts or another top flight club like St Mirren regardless what league we are in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

What happened to Polworth; wasn't he looking decent for you? In my head, I'd happily have him at Saints, but that's without having seen him much this season. Not sure what's up with his contract but could see us going in for him in the summer, especially if we don't get JDH, (unless Polworth's become a complete car crash).

He was very good for us last season and his set pieces got us a lot of goals. This season, he took the huff when he was on the bench for Turnbull at the very start of the season and his body language looks like he's still in that huff. He's a total passenger now and you're lucky if you get one good set piece in ten. His last two real actions have been giving away the penalty on Saturday and getting sent off for being in a bad mood against Aberdeen (which everyone bar Graham Alexander saw coming)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our players will be absolutely desperate to get this and Saturday's game out the way. You can see they are gubbed and I'm guessing they are doing very little training at the moment. If you've got a big fit squad who are playing well these runs can be brilliant, but at the moment when you are basically relying on the same 13 players to play twice a week then it feels like we are just clinging on. If we can get 4 points from the next two games I think that'll be a great result. I think 1 or 2 might be more likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

you're lucky if you get one good set piece in ten.

That's being very, very, very generous.

FWIW I am a Polworth fan. Last season he was great. Some of his through balls for wingers to run on to were delicious. Unfortunately when we had to put Turnbull in the shop window he emptied his toys out the pram and hasn't kicked a ball since. Granted neither have many others. There was a point when we were playing Campbell, Donnelly & Polworth and the midfield was so balanced it was delightful to see. Campbell going box-to-box, Donnelly kicking lumps out of folk and Polworth playing football. 

Edited by well fan for life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, welldaft said:

For me this game really could determine whether we can escape the drop and/or avoid play off. 

I know Buddies will disagree but there is more at stake for Motherwell. 

It's an important game for both teams but I'd agree more is at stake for Motherwell. A win for Motherwell takes you 7 clear of the bottom 2 and that's not a bad bit of breathing space to have. 

We're down to the bare bones at the moment and in a heavy schedule, that said the last 2 goals we've lost at home were pretty freak goals. Wouldn't surprise me to see this end another draw sadly. Still better than 3-0 default. 

Edited by flyingscot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GAD said:

Our players will be absolutely desperate to get this and Saturday's game out the way. You can see they are gubbed and I'm guessing they are doing very little training at the moment. If you've got a big fit squad who are playing well these runs can be brilliant, but at the moment when you are basically relying on the same 13 players to play twice a week then it feels like we are just clinging on. If we can get 4 points from the next two games I think that'll be a great result. I think 1 or 2 might be more likely.

Team look shattered. Any win from the next 2 games would be decent. No sign of Mason  returning?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...