Rangers winning the league is...

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This would be more likely to send things in the opposite direction. In the current set-up, Rangers and Celtic have 2 votes out of 42, but in a CEO with absolute power situation they'd probably have roughly 2 votes out of 2. Colt teams and larger chunks of TV money going to the teams who are televised would be the first two things through the door.

They don't really have 2 out of 42, given the weighting of votes depending on the league in which a club sits. Add to that the 11-1 voting constraint in the top level.

And materially, the SPFL has a CEO who has the mindset of  "roughly 2 votes out of 2.' The retention of four games between the two clubs overrides all other considerations.

Just now, Dundee Hibernian said:

They don't really have 2 out of 42, given the weighting of votes depending on the league in which a club sits. Add to that the 11-1 voting constraint in the top level.

And materially, the SPFL has a CEO who has the mindset of  "roughly 2 votes out of 2.' The retention of four games between the two clubs overrides all other considerations.

The 11-1 constraint makes it more difficult to change the status quo, but it doesn't make it any easier for them to push changes through - if anything it makes it harder. The CEO has essentially no power in the SPFL - if those four games are considered important, that's because the clubs make it so.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This would be more likely to send things in the opposite direction. In the current set-up, Rangers and Celtic have 2 votes out of 42, but in a CEO with absolute power situation they'd probably have roughly 2 votes out of 2. Colt teams and larger chunks of TV money going to the teams who are televised would be the first two things through the door.

Aye, that's fair. I suppose it depends on exactly what power you give them, but in all likelihood that is the end result.

Unfortunately I don't see much hope for a "league-first" approach, because the two big clubs are run by ruthless capitalists that care only about their bottom line, and most of the other forty teams are run like a bowling club.

Difficult to see how that changes either.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The 11-1 constraint makes it more difficult to change the status quo, but it doesn't make it any easier for them to push changes through - if anything it makes it harder. The CEO has essentially no power in the SPFL - if those four games are considered important, that's because the clubs make it so.

I still can't get my head round an 11-1 voting system. How did that come about and how does it survive?

I get a 7-5 is maybe too tight so that a smallish club being promoted can sway power over a close decision but surely an 8-4 or even a 9-3 is more reasonable.

3 minutes ago, ahemps said:

I still can't get my head round an 11-1 voting system. How did that come about and how does it survive?

I get a 7-5 is maybe too tight so that a smallish club being promoted can sway power over a close decision but surely an 8-4 or even a 9-3 is more reasonable.

SPFL Articles of Association

The 11-1 voting system is only for Qualified Resolutions, which govern a small set of very specific issues. Most decisions are made by an Ordinary Resolution, which does only require a 9-3 vote.

The things covered by Qualified Resolutions are:

• Expelling a club from the league
  • Winding up the SPFL
  • Altering the share capital in the SPFL and issuing or alloting shares
  • Changing the size of the SPFL (either expansion or reduction from 42 teams)
  • Changing various rules relating to club ownership
  • Changing the season start date to before 31st July
  • Imposing U21/homegrown player rules
  • A bunch of stuff relating to the teamsheet on matchdays (a very weird one to be included)
  • Everything covering commercial income, broadcasting and contracts

My memory is that the 11-1 came around as part of the compromise when the 10 non-Old Firm clubs announced their notice to resign from the SPL in 2002. My recollection is that the Old Firm made various concessions on the revenue share and other commercial stuff, but with the trade-off that a rule was put in place to protect that new position from future changes.

There was the opportunity to change it in 2012, but Aberdeen voted it down. The clubs did however alter the financial distribution in Rangers' absence under the existing rules. It could have been revisited at any time before Rangers were promoted in 2016, but the clubs obviously opted not to. I think there is some justification for having this "supermajority" given that it prevents a number of changes that would be (in my view) detrimental to the game. The 12-12/8-8-8 proposal in 2013 would have gone through with a 9-3 vote, and it's possible the ill-judged league expansion plan last summer would have done too.

35 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Have to disagree with the highlighted section, in any case, I wrote about his 'mindset'. If you reckon Doncaster's mentality is to deal with the 42 clubs equally, I differ from that. 

In any case this is derailing the thread, and I apologise to Ibrox supporters for intruding on their rebuttals to diddy fans poking fun.

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

My memory is that the 11-1 came around as part of the compromise when the 10 non-Old Firm clubs announced their notice to resign from the SPL in 2002. My recollection is that the Old Firm made various concessions on the revenue share and other commercial stuff, but with the trade-off that a rule was put in place to protect that new position from future changes.

That's interesting, I wonder what they concessions were as I would say the gap in finances between the OF and the rest has increased even since then.

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There was the opportunity to change it in 2012, but Aberdeen voted it down. The clubs did however alter the financial distribution in Rangers' absence under the existing rules. It could have been revisited at any time before Rangers were promoted in 2016, but the clubs obviously opted not to. I think there is some justification for having this "supermajority" given that it prevents a number of changes that would be (in my view) detrimental to the game. The 12-12/8-8-8 proposal in 2013 would have gone through with a 9-3 vote, and it's possible the ill-judged league expansion plan last summer would have done too.

I agree that a 12-12/8-8-8 would not be what I would choose and a rushed league expansion may not have been a great idea but surely if a majority (9-3 is a 75% majority) wanted it then should it not happen?

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Heard on Radio Ulster this morning that Rangers need 7 points for the title and can clinch the title against Celtic. Is that right?

Celtic would have to drop more points (or Rangers would have to lose both of the preceding games) in order for us not to have a title-clinching scenario at Parkhead.

Lovely stuff.

49 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Stewart Milne.

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The thread title should finish

... not as  much fun as Celtic losing it

Do I win £5?

Or

meaningless as there’s no c**t there to see it.

(although half their so called die hard fans don’t go to games anyway).

Edited by big al

the Rangers winning the league is a fairy tale story. Picking up where Gretna fell, this gutsy little team swept through the leagues  with guts, determination, nine managers  and a devil may care attitude to finances and now just 9 short years after their immaculate conception they stand on the brink of their first Scottish Premiership Title.  It just makes you stand back, take a good look at Scottish Football and think "whats the f*****g point". 

5 minutes ago, killiekranky said:

the Rangers winning the league is a fairy tale story. Picking up where Gretna fell, this gutsy little team swept through the leagues  with guts, determination, nine managers  and a devil may care attitude to finances and now just 9 short years after their immaculate conception they stand on the brink of their first Scottish Premiership Title.  It just makes you stand back, take a good look at Scottish Football and think "whats the f*****g point". 

minnesota timberwolves smirk GIF by NBA

12 minutes ago, killiekranky said:

Thanks mate, more please.