Queens v Dunfermline

16 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I am not that struck on McCabe - he wouldn’t be in my starting line up. To be fair to Buchanan he has been pretty solid recently apart from “running through treacle” when trying to retrieve Cummings’ lob. I thought my PPV had diverted into a slow motion frame.

I think the current set up makes us much harder to score against. The upturn in form before the last three games was mainly down to scoring more goals than in the first round of fixtures. We were still conceding as many as before (more, in fact). The exception was the Raith game where it isn’t clear how much of the improved defensive performance was at least partly due to having a 16 year old in goal.
Having Nortey and Obileye in front of the defence has reduced the goals conceded against Hearts, ICT and Dundee from 12 down to 3. I would stick with them until it shows signs of not working. The only potential future changes to the team, imo, would be Shields for Joseph and Pybus for McGrory.

Same line-up for me with the exception of Shields for Joseph (but I doubt that'll be an option). I was pleased McCabe came on the other day as we were screaming for someone to get their foot on the ball in the middle but the game passed him by I thought. I would keep it the same for now. Buchanan has probably been my least favourite player this season and that goal against Dundee was hilariously bad but other than that he hasn't put a foot wrong in the last few games. Against Hearts he made an incredible block that looked goal bound. That we've not conceded from 28 corners is an achievement itself and I expect having 3 CBs on the pitch has helped.

As has been said, games against Dunfermline are usually pretty shit at Palmerston. Hopefully this doesn't change on Saturday. An eye-bleedingly bad game with us nicking a goal on the counter attack would be just lovely.

I think the current set up makes us much harder to score against. The upturn in form before the last three games was mainly down to scoring more goals than in the first round of fixtures. We were still conceding as many as before (more, in fact). The exception was the Raith game where it isn’t clear how much of the improved defensive performance was at least partly due to having a 16 year old in goal.
Having Nortey and Obileye in front of the defence has reduced the goals conceded against Hearts, ICT and Dundee from 12 down to 3. I would stick with them until it shows signs of not working. The only potential future changes to the team, imo, would be Shields for Joseph and Pybus for McGrory.

Agree with that.

McKee is our best playmaker and technically a gifted midfielder. The big BUTS are that he is injury prone and doesn’t really enjoy the dirty side of the game when we don’t have the ball (which can be quite often).

I like watching McKee but unless you build a defensive structure around him we will be relatively easy to play against. There have been some games where the McKee:McCabe partnership has worked well but in the main we have been pretty vulnerable as the goals against column suggests. In this league sadly it is “battlers” over “ballers” and midfielders that are sensibly combative and have high energy are big assets. McGrory has done well and while he drifts out of games he gets “back goal side” and also has the stamina to get forward. He and Joseph are both young and will hopefully have gained confidence from recent performances - both would be on my retain list for next season.

15 hours ago, Mr X said:

I'd also bring McCabe in for the same reason. However, I'd swap him with McGrory and push Nortey forward into the "Pybus" role.

We started this good run with McCabe in the side, so I dont really get this idea that we suddenly look better with Obileye and/or Nortey in midfield. There is an argument, though, that the midfield needs to be stronger defensively without Pybus in it, so I wouldnt change too much until he is back.

Think I'd agree with you there MrX ....... McCabe for McGrory makes sense to add a bit more guile/composure into the midfield.  Good shout.

While Dumfries is a lovely town, full of lovely pubs and generally lovely people on the times I've been there, I stayed over for a game the same day as Scotland beat England at Murrayfield and I really enjoyed it. Really nice place. 

If we could beat these Tory voting, George Galloway shagging, Rangers loving Downhammers that'd be swell, thank you Dunfermline. 

Queens away is probably the hardest fixture in the league right now. 

I never feel confident of the Pars team beating anybody in this league and on the flip side I would never rule us out of winning, regardless of the opposing teams good form.

Wighton looks like a step up in quality compared to our other strikers. Comrie will be a a big loss. McDonald had a good debut but still think Mayo will go into right back position and McInroy coming into the midfield. I'm doubting if we will see Turner back in the black and white now.

Think Dom Thomas may come back in with Banks moving into a more central attacking midfield role behind Wighton. McManus to drop out.

6 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Gibson's goal at Dens was a screamer, we really need to nullify his threat coming forward. Some boy, I thought he'd be finished by now but he did a great job on Thomas at EEP and by all accounts sounds like he's playing well. 

He's probably favourite for our player of the season, as it stands. He really has been excellent.

Last few trips down there have been pretty turgid games - the highlight of my last visit to Palmerston was the chips from the concession stand - and to be honest I'd probably take a 0-0 with the form Queens are in. Having said that, if we can nick a win here it would hopefully cement our play off place and it might even put some pressure on Hearts if they keep dropping silly points.

Last few trips down there have been pretty turgid games - the highlight of my last visit to Palmerston was the chips from the concession stand - and to be honest I'd probably take a 0-0 with the form Queens are in. Having said that, if we can nick a win here it would hopefully cement our play off place and it might even put some pressure on Hearts if they keep dropping silly points.

Is your play-off place really in doubt? It would surely take a massive implosion for Dunfermline not to stay in the top 4. There's more team 'challenging' for 9th spot than top 4.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Your last visit here was a 3-2 win that certainly wasn't dull. They are however usually awful games spoiled by weather.

3 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

The draws are killing us. We should be a lot closer to Hearts with what we have at our disposal. Only two draws this season were well-fought, decent results (Dundee, Raith away) The others were absolute shit-fests, bar perhaps ICT away, where we should have been resolute and hold out for the win. If we are being serious about grabbing 2nd spot these are absolutely the games we need to win. Queens' form will drop off and Dundee should sleep-walk in to 4th spot in the end. 

Edited by DAFC.

8 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

The draws are killing us. We should be a lot closer to Hearts with what we have at our disposal. 

If Hearts were adequately using what they had at there disposal no club (outwith potentially Dundee) should get close to them. 

The draws are killing us. We should be a lot closer to Hearts with what we have at our disposal. Only two draws this season were well-fought, decent results (Dundee, Raith away) The others were absolute shit-fests, bar perhaps ICT away, where we should have been resolute and hold out for the win. If we are being serious about grabbing 2nd spot these are absolutely the games we need to win. Queens' form will drop off and Dundee should sleep-walk in to 4th spot in the end. 

While our great run has been a huge tonic to QOS fans I don’t think too many will realistically think that we will finish in the top 4. Avoiding the bottom 2 is the prime target although when you start to engender a good team spirit and gain confidence the optimistic part of any supporter starts to look upwards and potentially see our name on the Play Off podium.Such a thought was unthinkable pre Xmas. Pars and Raith would need a dreadful run in to miss out (far from impossible) and I see Dundee and Inverness as the two principal candidates for the other spot. Any club in the mid table pack can challenge for top 4 or conversely drop into relegation trouble. Trying to pick a second bottom candidate at present is
a big conundrum especially with the unequal games played. Through bitter experience I never count Alloa out either.