Your office/workplace split

This trend of Scottish people "supporting" EPL sides is appalling.

I'm struggling to decide who is most worthy of my unending contempt:

a) OF fans who never go to games

b) OF fans who regularly go to their games

c) People who claim to follow a big English side.

Obviously, there are mitigating circumstances for people who come from big English cities, or perhaps even Glasgow.

However, what are people's views as to the least acceptable version of fandom?

Once we have a winner, it can be pitched against those who prefer rugby, or those who don't like sport at all.

In my department, I'm the only football fan although one of the other three Physics teachers is one of those Rangers fans who doesn't watch football or goes to games or anything but supports them because her Dad did.

If I widen it to the Science faculty, there are also three Celtic fans, one Falkirk fan (although again she doesn't really go to games) and one who is more into rugby but has a soft spot for Dundee Utd. If I include the Technicians there is a die hard Raith fan and a Jambo.

Then the guys in other departments who I'm good friends with include another Falkirk fan, a couple of Dundee Utd fans, two Hibs fans, another couple of Raith fans, three more Celtic fans (including one who actually goes to games!), a Rangers fan, an Aberdeen fan and two more Pars fans. And one who follows Lithgae Rose and Leeds bizarrely.

46 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This trend of Scottish people "supporting" EPL sides is appalling.

I'm struggling to decide who is most worthy of my unending contempt:

a) OF fans who never go to games

b) OF fans who regularly go to their games

c) People who claim to follow a big English side.

Obviously, there are mitigating circumstances for people who come from big English cities, or perhaps even Glasgow.

Once we have a winner, it can be pitched against those who prefer rugby, or those who don't like sport at all.

Around ten years ago there were two Irish guys who shared the flat above mine. They both "supported" Celtic, Liverpool and Barcelona. I frequently saw them wearing strips and tshirts etc. I asked them about their local team, Athlone. They had no interest at all in the Irish league. 

44 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

In my department, I'm the only football fan although one of the other three Physics teachers is one of those Rangers fans who doesn't watch football or goes to games or anything but supports them because her Dad did.

If I widen it to the Science faculty, there are also three Celtic fans, one Falkirk fan (although again she doesn't really go to games) and one who is more into rugby but has a soft spot for Dundee Utd. If I include the Technicians there is a die hard Raith fan and a Jambo.

Then the guys in other departments who I'm good friends with include another Falkirk fan, a couple of Dundee Utd fans, two Hibs fans, another couple of Raith fans, three more Celtic fans (including one who actually goes to games!), a Rangers fan, an Aberdeen fan and two more Pars fans. And one who follows Lithgae Rose and Leeds bizarrely.

That is quite a staff for following football.

To be fair it's a big school as many in Fife are (roll of around 1600 and about 100 full time staff maybe?). When I worked in Southampton for a smaller sized laser firm there were only really three or four into football (all Saints fans, two who were season ticket holders) and one who was a proper Hampshire Cricket fan. The rest weren't that into it.

Only Scot in the building. Peterborough x1, Sheffield United x 1, Sheffield Wednesday x 1, Mansfield Town x 2, Stockport County x1 and 5 Nottingham Forest. Quite a few rugby fans, most of whom play, while 1 is a rugby ref. Most of the kids I teach are either Mansfield or Forest. No glory hunters which is very refreshing.

53 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

To be fair it's a big school as many in Fife are (roll of around 1600 and about 100 full time staff maybe?). When I worked in Southampton for a smaller sized laser firm there were only really three or four into football (all Saints fans, two who were season ticket holders) and one who was a proper Hampshire Cricket fan. The rest weren't that into it.

Yes it was a Fife school (1800 roll) that I mentioned earlier had a great staff room and mix.

One of the old guys there was a linesman at the 1982 world cup, so the story went. Oh and the head of PE was the East Fife manager at the time!

5 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I watch football on the telly everyday, often more than one game and have various preferences for English and a few abroad, usually teams I see when away with work or holiday.

I stop listening as soon as I realise I'm speaking to a committed armchair supporter that has never been to the ground of the team they support. They shouldn't be counted in this exercise.

Agreed. Whenever I'm working away or going on holiday one of the first things I do is check to find out who the local teams are (if I don't know already) and if they're at home while I'm there.

I can't believe what I've been reading and hearing lately with people complaining of football fatigue!

Fatigue? At something we can't do or go and watch. Spoilt bahstids. If you're "fatigued" sitting at home watching Sky Sports all weekend, turn the telly off and go for a walk, and spare a thought for those who are desperate for a chance to go and watch their teams in person.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Scottish people in towns nowhere near Glasgow, with no connection to Ireland, family or otherwise, who support the Irish national team and plaster themselves and everything around them green. They have never been to Church but insist they are Catholic. Likely to have kids called Aidan, Liam or John-Paul. 

This next lot at least go to games, but it's a painful sight - those who get off a Celtic coach at Palmerston Cafe on 7ish on a Saturday evening, when Queens have been playing at Palmerston Park that same day. Some of these people would even complain that it's too expensive to watch Queens. 

3 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Good name for a club, that.

3 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Around ten years ago there were two Irish guys who shared the flat above mine. They both "supported" Celtic, Liverpool and Barcelona. I frequently saw them wearing strips and tshirts etc. I asked them about their local team, Athlone. They had no interest at all in the Irish league. 

Or the League of Ireland by the looks of things.

I think football's like the movies or TV for a lot of folk now; just something you stick on for a bit of entertainment. People realise you're supposed to have a "side" in football, so they nominally pick a team in the same way you have a favourite actor or director, but it doesn't really matter too much other than for jolly banter purposes. They wouldn't choose to support their local side as they're never going to be on the telly in front of the massive crowd at the glitzy stadium in Madrid/Paris/Rome, with the famous faces saying how amazing and superb and spectacular the banal goalless draw they're watching is.

I also reckon that's the reason why Celtgers are so desperate to get out of here and latch on to a more glamourous competition, as there are already plenty of kids who've absolutely no interest in them and "support" the big European sides. Sectarian conflict in Glasgow just doesn't seem as interesting or glamorous as what's on the telly now, especially when you have to pretend that isn't what the rivalry's about nowadays anyway. Even from twenty-five years ago, it seems like you see far fewer of their replica shirts around, and a whole lot more Man City/Chelsea/Barcelona/PSG.

Prior to retiring recently the set up among my peers were 

Celtic x 11 ( 5 of them  just glory hunters and to sook in with the big boss)

Rangers x 4

St Mirren x 1

Dundee United x 1

Ayr United x 2

Auchinleck Talbot x 1

now in my volunteering role

6 x Ayr United

1x Aberdeen 

Edited by Robbo63

In my team 2 woman don’t have any interest in football so we have 1 Celtic fan, 1 Liverpool fan (she was born in Liverpool and a season ticket holder before moving up here so I feel this is acceptable), 1 so called Man City fan (born and raised in Scotland who only ever watches football on TV and 1 ICT fan (me).

In the wider office there are 2 Rangers, 1 Celtic, 1 Aberdeen and another ICT fan.

Our workplace is mostly Jambos followed in second place by Gers (so staunch!). I knew some other Jambos who've now retired and they were folk who remembered the late 70s and early 80s when Hearts were total dugmeat so they tended not to get too carried away.

The Bluenoses are fairly tolerable.

There's a couple of Celts and a couple of Hibees. There's also a Killie fan and an Arab but I don't think they go to many games.

The womenfolk don't follow football as a whole apart from one annoying boot whose husband is a Gers fan. While the other Gers could take a ribbing about Rangers she can't.

Following Edinburgh City I used to get lumped in with the Alloa supporter as "dafties you could safely ignore".

ETA: there's a guy who's a Scotland fan, he doesn't have a club team. Fair play to the boy he's been all over Europe following Scotland. I'm sure he went to Kazakhstan when we got thumped FFS! 

Edited by tamthebam

Work for a small business with 4 Canadians plus me....3x don't follow sports at all and one is a Toronto Raptors basketball fan, who does actually go a couple of times a year to take in a few games at a time

On my hockey team there's 1x Ayr (me), 1x Hearts (born in Falkirk), 1x Arsenal, 1x AC Milan, 1x Celtic and 1x Man Utd, so we all take an interest in each teams result to banter about it.

Been shite this year with the Hearts fan :lol: 

Edited by mugen_power