Rate the Goalkeepers 20/21

28 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Honestly,  I think you could put 3-12 in any order whatsoever and nobody would take issue with it. The standard is honking. 

I like Alnwick, he's definitely a good keeper. To be fair, I don't pay much attention to the rest, but he's been excellent for us. We'd be worse off without him.

16 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

:lol:

In the same way Dundee United fans love Arvid Schenk or Jack Hamilton?

I’m assuming Thomas is confusing Owain Fon Williams with someone else.  Even by the standards of “oh he played for Caley”, he’s a player I barely remember. 

Alnwick ( and Hlaky before him) is actually so good that I'm maybe willing to accept that Craig Samson wasn't actually that good and my opinion of him is skewed due to a couple of utterly magnificent penalty saves...

4 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Its a wet Saturday afternoon, you cant leave the house, accies are getting beaten. So lets rate the goalkeepers for this season. People will just be arses and arrange them by league position but IMO at least 3/4 goalkeepers of the other clubs could start for Celtic and do a better job than the current set up.

1. Allan McGregor obv.
2. Joe Lewis
3. Ofir Marciano. Toss up between him and Lewis this season both are interchangeable imo.
4. Beji Siegrest
5. Liam Kelly
6. Jack Alnwick
7. Bain/Barkas
8. Zander Clark
9. Stryjek/McCrorie. I hear this Styjek is decent, but why has he been dropped for McCrorie today?
10. Ross Laidlaw
11. Ryan Fulton. Again couldnt really decide between 10/11. Probably my own Fulton is shite bias places Laidlaw ahead of him.
12. Doyle/Rogers. Rogers has been very shite, but Doyle is a horrible goalie so I'm shocked he would manage to replace anyone.

Thoughts?

Stryjek was dropped to keep him fit and fresh for the cup final. We did the same thing with the semi-final

1 hour ago, G51 said:

I’d have Alnwick as number 2 and I don’t think it’s that close

I think he's being seriously underrated by those listing him here. Maybe not #2 in the list but definitely better than some are giving him credit for.

That said, I don't think he is as good as Hladky was for us, but then Hladky played in front of a worse defence and had to make a lot more saves.

Also I really don't get the love for Marciano, absolutely bang average keeper imo. Liam Kelly getting the nod while letting in tons of goals is also an odd one.

Still all said and done, there's not any great howlers amongst the 11 first team keepers, not since Jack Hamilton left the Premiership.

Joe Lewis doesn't often pull off ridiculous saves. At Aberdeen he's made a career of saving the shots he should be saving and being great when it comes to handling.

He's let himself down with both on a couple of occasions but there isn't a keeper I'd have ahead of him in the league.

McGregor is obviously class but he'd not get away with half of his antics if he played for anyone outwith the top 2.

Marciano always strikes me as someone who pulls off ridiculous saves but struggles in the air.

Bain is awful. Wouldn't have had him on the bench when we had Cerny.

The United keeper was brilliant in both games against us.

The others seem mostly interchangeable but I'm being pretty ignorant there.

Edit: forgot about Kelly. Immense for Motherwell against us.

Edited by Merkland Red

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Joe Lewis doesn't often pull off ridiculous saves. At Aberdeen he's made a career of saving the shots he should be saving and being great when it comes to handling.

He's let himself down with both on a couple of occasions but there isn't a keeper I'd have ahead of him in the league.

McGregor is obviously class but he'd not get away with half of his antics if he played for anyone outwith the top 2.

Marciano always strikes me as someone who pulls off ridiculous saves but struggles in the air.

Bain is awful. Wouldn't have had him on the bench when we had Cerny.

The United keeper was brilliant in both games against us.

The others seem mostly interchangeable but I'm being pretty ignorant there.

Lewis 😃😃😃😃

8 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

My team: Scotland aka too big a shitrbag to say Rangers when they were shite.

Rangers won stuff after 1998 so that doesn't exactly make sence when Scotland last reached a major finals 

Your sounding bitter you can sing hey hey you with the sad face to 

Joe Lewis couldn't lace Alan McGregors boots isn't anywhere near his levels now or ever

And if he is second best in Scotland God help our league but wouldn't even swap Mclaughlin for him he is much more commanding in his area and has better reach

3 minutes ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

Rangers won stuff after 1998 so that doesn't exactly make sence when Scotland last reached a major finals 

Your sounding bitter you can sing hey hey you with the sad face to 

Joe Lewis couldn't lace Alan McGregors boots isn't anywhere near his levels now or ever

And if he is second best in Scotland God help our league but wouldn't even swap Mclaughlin for him he is much more commanding in his area and has better reach

It's easy enough to edit your profile to change the team you support.  It would also help other posters on the site too, as when they see "My team - Rangers" they know they can safely ignore the post as it will most likely be the ill-informed ramblings of an incoherent bigoted moron.  

6 minutes ago, resk said:

It's easy enough to edit your profile to change the team you support.  It would also help other posters on the site too, as when they see "My team - Rangers" they know they can safely ignore the post as it will most likely be the ill-informed ramblings of an incoherent bigoted moron.  

I've been amazed at the abundance of Scotland fans posting in Rangers match threads this year.

Gave me some new found respect for Bennet and Kincy.

6 minutes ago, resk said:

I didn't need to click on his profile to clock he's an incoherent bigoted moron - "My Team - Scotland" just confirmed it.

I really admire Joe Lewis' gimmick of being a competent-to-good goalkeeper for 35 games a season then finding spectacular ways to chuck it in the net most times he plays Motherwell. You obviously get the opposite a lot, where shite players will have one team they always click against, so fair play to Lewis for finding a fresh take on a tired format.