Rank the Managers - Premiership Edition

15 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

12 - Hughes - If Yogi told me that the sky was blue, I’d open my window to check, every team he manages seems to either get relegated under his reign or not long after, he seems to join a club, do okay at first before jumping ship and leaving them in an absolute mess, Falkirk, Inverness and Raith were all relegated under him, the state he left Hibs in took years to recover, after he left we didn’t finish in the top 6 for 7 years. He may prove me wrong but I’d be surprised if the same doesn’t happen to County, yet the Si Ferry’s and Chick Young’s of this world think it’s mental it took him so long to get another job.

I would suggest that not all of this content is verifiable. It's especially compromised as Hughes was the opposition manager when one of these clubs was relegated.

41 minutes ago, sophia said:

I would suggest that not all of this content is verifiable. It's especially compromised as Hughes was the opposition manager when one of these clubs was relegated.

I worded that wrongly “relegated under him or just after he left” - apologies.

Certainly think a number of people are underrating Rice. If Hamilton had the worst / 2nd worst manager in the league like a lot of people have suggested they’d have been relegated before now. 
I get what you're saying but will reply with two words: Martin Canning.

As with the keepers thread, we'll get some spaces between each manager to indicate drop-offs in quality:

1. Gerrard - Mainly for his European body of work to be honest. This is his first impressive domestic season, and even then he'll probably remain without a cup.

2. Ross - The most exciting young manager in Scotland, so it's only natural that he's knocked down at every opportunity by jealous simpletons.
  3. Lennon - Losing his way by the day but still had a decent spell at Hibs that shows he's not entirely a budget flat track bully, unlike entry number 7.

4. Hughes - Despite the sneering from football hipster types, he's been a success at every club he's managed apart from a disastrous spell at Raith. Players would run through walls for him, and his time with Caley was extremely successful. His time at Hibs was (by the standards of most managers we've had since Turnbull) pretty fucking good, and his years at Grangemouth show he's not afraid to slum it out. Gid hoanest manager.

5. Wright - Frankly pathetic showings in the Europa League knock Wright down behind Hughes. A good manager outside of the month of July though. 

6. Goodwin - Ross 2.0, and yes, that is a lazy comparison.
  7. McInnes - God awful considering how much he gets paid and how much he's given to assemble a team. We finally rid Scottish football of Levein and his protégé springs up out of nowhere. Same habits of wearing the club shop, being deceptively overweight, having a shit beard, fooling nobody with injury mind games and playing pedestrian football around the back. When he's dragged kicking and screaming from Pittodrie, I simply cannot wait to see him falter at his next club. A complete bottler to boot, drawing one League Cup in 2014 and throwing away every other chance at silverware/Europa League play-off football. A classless, arrogant welt.

8. Mellon - Might have started to turn a corner and his record at Tranmere was impressive, but United's football this season has been fucking dire. Can't seem to get a tune out of Shankland half the time either.
  9. Davidson - Early days but just seems a poor man's Goodwin.

10. Rice - Guilty of the tactical tombola from time to time but he's a decent manager and you simply don't keep Accies up twice (thrice come May, take that to the bank) without having some managerial nous.

11. Alexander - Another chequebook manager, don't see him staying long at Motherwell. Simply not very good at his job.
  12. Martindale - Too early to judge either way, his Heckingbottom-style winning run won't convince me to put him higher than this.

Edited by HibsFan

21 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

As with the keepers thread, we'll get some spaces between each manager to indicate drop-offs in quality:

1. Gerrard - Mainly for his European body of work to be honest. This is his first impressive domestic season, and even then he'll probably remain without a cup.

2. Ross - The most exciting young manager in Scotland, so it's only natural that he's knocked down at every opportunity by jealous simpletons.
  3. Lennon - Losing his way by the day but still had a decent spell at Hibs that shows he's not entirely a budget flat track bully, unlike entry number 7.

4. Hughes - Despite the sneering from football hipster types, he's been a success at every club he's managed apart from a disastrous spell at Raith. Players would run through walls for him, and his time with Caley was extremely successful. His time at Hibs was (by the standards of most managers we've had since Turnbull) pretty fucking good, and his years at Grangemouth show he's not afraid to slum it out. Gid hoanest manager.

5. Wright - Frankly pathetic showings in the Europa League knock Wright down behind Hughes. A good manager outside of the month of July though. 

7. McInnes - God awful considering how much he gets paid and how much he's given to assemble a team. We finally rid Scottish football of Levein and his protégé springs up out of nowhere. Same habits of wearing the club shop, being deceptively overweight, having a shit beard, fooling nobody with injury mind games and playing pedestrian football around the back. When he's dragged kicking and screaming from Pittodrie, I simply cannot wait to see him falter at his next club. A complete bottler to boot, drawing one League Cup in 2014 and throwing away every other chance at silverware/Europa League play-off football. A classless, arrogant welt.

8. Mellon - Might have started to turn a corner and his record at Tranmere was impressive, but United's football this season has been fucking dire. Can't seem to get a tune out of Shankland half the time either.

10. Rice - Guilty of the tactical tombola from time to time but he's a decent manager and you simply don't keep Accies up twice (thrice come May, take that to the bank) without having some managerial nous.

11. Alexander - Another chequebook manager, don't see him staying long at Motherwell. Simply not very good at his job.
  12. Martindale - Too early to judge either way, his Heckingbottom-style winning run won't convince me to put him higher than this.

You really hate Derek, don’t you. 

25 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Trying a bit too hard champ 👍🏻

As the most qualified on this board, I'll offer my thoughts (I'm solely going off of this season):

1. Gerrard.  How could it be anyone else at the moment? He's lost one match in something like 43 this season and always seems to make the correct coaching adjustment. Been simply brilliant in Europe and 2-0 vs Celtic.

2. Martindale.  Has Livi on track for European football with a wage bill that is probably 35 percent of what Aberdeen's is and is in the league cup final. Fine work.

3. Goodwin. Like Martindale, way overachieving considering the wage bill he has to work with and is the only one to beat Gerrard this season.

4. Ross. Has Hibs above Aberdeen by 4 points with a game in hand -- and that game is against County -- and has them on track for the Europa League playoff.

5. Mellon. United has maybe six players that are worthy of the Premiership, so he's done a phenomenal job to keep them out of the relegation battle. Yet he hasn't played to United's attacking-player strengths for half the season, which is bewildering? If he hadn't ignored Shankland and others for long stretches and United had 5-7 more points, he'd possibly be No. 1 on this list.

6. Lennon. For all the moaning about how big of a moron he is, he's still 12 points clear of Hibs for third and has Celtic on track for a spot in CL qualifying.

7. McInnes. Half the Aberdeen fans seem to want him out, but he has Aberdeen comfortably headed for European football. A hot finish could see them overtake Hibs for third.

8. Davidson. With this personnel, he's underachieved a bit. Deserves credit for making the league cup final.

9. Rice. He's 3-0 against his rival with a 7-1 score the last two matches and is one of 4 managers to tie Rangers. Likely has the lowest wage bill in the Premiership.

10. Alexander. Roster is completely battered, so tough to judge, but getting housed 4-1 by Hamilton where you go down 4-0 is simply unacceptable no matter the circumstances.

11. Hughes. Probably unfair as he was left with nothing, but outside of an eyebrow-raising 4-1 win over Aberdeen hasn't done anything noteworthy, either.

12. Wright. Same as Hughes, but Killie simply awful.

7 hours ago, HibsFan said:

Was shite at Livi, and Hartlepool?

14 hours ago, HibsFan said:

Trying way too hard but like your team, pretty shite at what you do.

On 19/02/2021 at 14:56, accies1874 said:

Be interesting to hear St Mirren and/or Alloa fans' views on this, but Goodwin > Ross IMO. I'd consider having him third behind Gerrard and McInnes.

I've also probably been more impressed than most by Davidson and Mellon (some of that will be to do with the fact they've come up against awful Accies sides). Mellon's got a lot of stick for his negativity, which I'm sure is deserved, but against us and in a couple of games early on they looked pretty well coached in attack. Davidson's probably just a case of me liking him sticking to a fairly different system for most of the season. Bad finishing also seems to let him down.

You might have a point, Ross certainly took us on a roller coaster ride but left us before we went into the premiership so hard to compare like for like.  

On 19/02/2021 at 12:52, RandomGuy. said:

2. Wright - Record speaks for itself. Has to prove himself in a new environment now, so might end up lower.

Whilst I do rate Wright I don't think he can be the second best with 0 league wins this season even if it's early days.

There's a slim chance the st Johnstone days were a fluke and he fails at other clubs too. Seems a long time ago now.

He certainly used to be a decent manager.

Edited by Mvondo_the_great

1 minute ago, Mvondo_the_great said:

Whilst I do rate Wright I don't think he can be the second best with 0 league wins this season even if it's early days.

There's a slim chance the st Johnstone days were a fluke and he fails at other clubs too. Seems a long time ago now.

Yes, he fluked it for 8 years, and the run of 0 wins in 2 games with him in charge of a club for 2 weeks is far more relevant.

On 19/02/2021 at 17:01, Leith Green said:

Yep - Martindale deserved his MoTM award, and both him and Davidson will get extra marks for whoever wins the league cup.

But if you expect impartiality or rational thought on this thread, you will be waiting a while......................

manager-of-the-month-jan21.jpg

December's.

motm-jan21.jpg

January's.

Though technically you're right, he auctioned his first one to raise some money for charity.

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

manager-of-the-month-jan21.jpg

December's.

January's.

Though technically you're right, he auctioned his first one to raise some money for charity.

Genuinely no idea how I missed the other one.............

p.s. Hoping you guys win next week, as Marvin wasnt on the park for us winning the SC (although obviously played in plenty matches in the leadup) and he is just such a great guy -  would be excellent to see him lift it as captain.

5 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Trying way too hard but like your team, pretty shite at what you do.

We are, you know, third and on course to start further in Europe than St Johnstone have ever managed. But you keep consoling yourself with that League Cup runners up medal champ.