Rank the Managers - Premiership Edition

3 hours ago, HibsFan said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=bd729091e51e729aTanner.gif.09225c59d712c0cd192aee8127cc7e0a.gif

Random is contractually obliged to big up the Dons once a week - at least this means he isnt drooling all over their matchday thread, so a win/win.

Edited by Leith Green
Maybe a wee bit strong, even for him...........

Love it.

Judged using my own vision of “best” - a mixture of career up to now, tactical nous and how well I think they will do with the teams they are currently at.

1. David Martindale - add what he’s done as manager so far to what he achieved for years as DoF and he has the best record, has taken a micky mouse roundabout club to top flight European spots, and hopefully only a cup final rather than a cup win. Reckon he’ll keep Livi between 4th-8th for a fair few years.

2. Steven Gerrard - meh. I guess he’s doing well but not a particularly difficult job. European performances are the reason he isn’t midtable in my list

3. Tommy Wright - did some mad things for us, winning our first ever cup and coming 4th 3 (?) seasons in a row. Often overlooked that he was a great tactical manager too. Think of the number of games we played against an Aberdeen/Hearts/Hibs type opponent where he totally figured them out before the game and set up a side to stifle their expensive flair players and hit them in the weak points on the break. Broke Jackie McNamara in that season where we beat their “golden generation” team four times. Went stale but not critical toward the end and he left us in a good state with a young talented team, I think he’ll do well with Killie.

4. Jim Goodwin - he’s made St Mirren a good top flight side, didn’t think it was possible. Will go to Burton Albion or someone similar in a few months and then the Buddies will sink back into mid table championship obscurity.

5. Derek McInnes - good at Aberdeen over a prolonged period but they should probably move him on. Natural that things go stale, they need a change to shake things up and bring excitement back along with fans next season.

6. Callum Davidson - I’m impressed so far. Has us impeccably well coached and there hasn’t been a single game this season where we have been comfortably beaten by anyone, save for one game against Rangers in December when we played the reserves. Would like more tactical flexibility from his chosen system and better use of subs but beginning to see that a little. He’ll do well here I think, and has a chance to etch himself into the hall of fame next week.

7. Graham Alexander - f**k knows but he seems highly rated down south.

8. Jack Ross - don’t really see it. Could be Aberdeen’s McInnes but has to actually make Hibs good for a prolonged period first. We’ll see.

9. Micky Mellon - Zzzzzzz. Has his team playing like what people (wrongly) thought we were under Tommy Wright. Will shuffle back down south soon and be forgotten, thankfully.

10. John Hughes - not a bad manager but not a good enough one to keep Ross County up.

11. Brian Rice - a slight improvement on Martin Canning but Hamilton still require another team to stink the place out for them to stay up. Has got a turn out of them in the last few weeks

12. Neil Lennon - dreadful. If one of his players doesn’t produce an outstanding moment of quality they don’t win. No plan, no system: nothing. Might have been a good manager once but he clearly can’t be arsed anymore.

Sorry but putting Martindale above Tommy based on one good run is mental.
And St Mirren ARE mid-table.

14 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Yep - Martindale deserved his MoTM award, and both him and Davidson will get extra marks for whoever wins the league cup.

But if you expect impartiality or rational thought on this thread, you will be waiting a while......................

1. Gerrard - The way he’s (unfortunately) turned Rangers around is to be admired, they play good football and look class in Europe, will go on to manage a big club one day.

2. McInnes - prolonged and sustained success at Aberdeen, the football is shite but he’s taken them from being effectively what Hibs, Hearts and Dundee Utd are to a team that qualify for Europe every season, he has however stayed too long and needs a move though. 

3. Lennon - bear with me on this one, aye he’s had a miserable season at Celtic but he’s won a few titles and achieved some incredible results in Europe. Although I did want him gone by the time he left Hibs, the spell we had from early 2017-summer 2018 was the most exciting football and best time I’ve ever had supporting Hibs, for that alone he goes above everyone else.

4 - Martindale - Jury is out but what a start, probably the smallest club in the league with the exception of Hamilton he’s got to a cup final and, if you believe he was the manager beforehand, turned them into a perennial top 6 club.

5 - Ross - Put him above Goodwin on the basis that he’s probably achieved more, has turned us into a team very good at beating the dross in the league, jury is still out for me, 2 semi final defeats will take a long time to be forgiven and I have wanted him out a few times this season, football thus far has been dull but getting Hibs to potentially 3rd for the first time since 2005 isn’t to be sniffed at aswell as the way he turned St Mirren round.

6 - Goodwin - I can’t believe a manager has made St Mirren a decent team to watch and one I expect to finish in the top 6, fair play, did pretty well with Alloa and has St Mirren higher in the table than I can ever remember them being at this stage of the season.

7 - Wright - Did well at St Johnstone obviously but I really can’t take to the guy at all, from some of the stories you hear to the style of play at St Johnstone under his stewardship, not for me. Fair play to him for winning the cup and getting a few European finishes though, clearly did really well for them and is rightly, well loved by the supporters, interested to see what happens with Killie.

8 - Davidson - Small sample size but seems to be doing okay with St Johnstone, the xG boys will tell you they’re hugely underperforming in the league, probably due to him not signing a decent enough striker though, well deserved papping of us in the semi final and I think they’ll probably win the cup.

9 - Alexander - I’ve honestly no idea about this guy tbh

10 - Rice - Could be argued for a higher spot for his ability to keep Hamilton up what feels like perennially but I think he’d crash and burn at any other club, Hamilton could be managed by my granny and still stay up somehow.

11 - Mellon - Some effort turning a team with lots of creative attacking exciting players into the worst to watch in the league, style of play is awful, I tipped Utd to finish 5th this season and Mellon has been the reason that won’t happen imo.

12 - Hughes - If Yogi told me that the sky was blue, I’d open my window to check, every team he manages seems to either get relegated under his reign or not long after, he seems to join a club, do okay at first before jumping ship and leaving them in an absolute mess, Falkirk, Inverness and Raith were all relegated either under him or just after he jumped ship, the state he left Hibs in took years to recover, after he left we didn’t finish in the top 6 for 7 years. He may prove me wrong but I’d be surprised if the same doesn’t happen to County, yet the Si Ferry’s and Chick Young’s of this world think it’s mental it took him so long to get another job.

Edited by Les Cabbage

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

Don’t even want to click on my own thread as I’m pretty sure I had Dyer in 4th.

This did make me smile a wee bit, considering both managers are out of a job currently.

On 30/11/2020 at 20:13, Sortmeout said:

Placing Dyer at 4th may smack a bit of blue tinted specs but I wouldn’t swap him for Lennon or anyone below him in that table.

If Dyer left and Robinson replaced him I’d be relatively happy but I certainly wouldn’t rush to sack Dyer just because Robinson became available. I’m sure none of the Motherwell fans would swap Robinson for Dyer either.

Also, for my money's worth, as of right now (and of course solely in my opinion):

1. Jack Ross (yep, f**k you)
2. Steven Gerrard (not first largely because I don't view him as the sole cause of Rangers' successes)
3. Derek McInnes (was higher, now very much stagnating but still better than most jobbers)
4. David Martindale (might just be a honeymoon period, but I think he'll be legit for Livi)
5. Jim Goodwin (impressed me quite a bit, didn't expect his relative success)
6. Tommy Wright (complete wild card considering it's not his team)
7. Callum Davidson (was lower, but really seems to be finding his mojo. could be higher by end of the season)
8. Micky Mellon (not glamorous or particularly smart at times, but has been key to United's overperformance this season via not losing more)
9. Neil Lennon (used to be higher in prior years, but obviously not now)
10. Graham Alexander (think he'll come good for 'Well, but that Lanarkshire derby is not inspiring)
11. John Hughes (interchangeable with 12th tbh, just think he's slightly more tactically shrewd... lol)
12. Brian Rice (not that it matters much for Accies, they could hire me and still somehow scrape enough points to survive)

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Brian Rice, incontrovertibly number 1.

Gifted creator  as player, was the brains behind whatever good football John Hughes’ teams played. Insists on attacking, entertaining play. Has beaten or drawn with Rangers twice in a year, and but for 8 isolated incidents would have done so again.

Unlucky against a strong Stranraer team, immediate bounced back against local rivals Albion Rovers with a hat trick by Admin.

Wrongfoots opponents by selections indecipherable  to the producers of 321.

Step forward, Sir Brian......

NURSE !!!!!!!............

It feels like there's not much difference in quality this season? Gerrard is a cut above you'd have to say but pretty much everyone else is either punching above their weight, achieving more or less what you'd expect them to or at least has enough in their past to suggest they're a decent manager. 

3 hours ago, The Marly said:

Does Tommy Wright get Livi from League 1 to Premiership within 2 seasons as a DoF/Shadowy Background Manager as everyone said? I don't think so.

4 hours ago, TonyTaylor said:

Brian Rice, incontrovertibly number 1.

Gifted creator  as player, was the brains behind whatever good football John Hughes’ teams played. Insists on attacking, entertaining play. Has beaten or drawn with Rangers twice in a year, and but for 8 isolated incidents would have done so again.

Unlucky against a strong Stranraer team, immediate bounced back against local rivals Albion Rovers with a hat trick by Admin.

Wrongfoots opponents by selections indecipherable  to the producers of 321.

Step forward, Sir Brian......

NURSE !!!!!!!............

Certainly think a number of people are underrating Rice. If Hamilton had the worst / 2nd worst manager in the league like a lot of people have suggested they’d have been relegated before now. 

Did you read what I actually said? It’s based on his time as a very influential DoF for years completely revamping the club from top to bottom to get them from seaside league fodder to top flight European challengers.

1 hour ago, Junior_Arab said:

Certainly think a number of people are underrating Rice. If Hamilton had the worst / 2nd worst manager in the league like a lot of people have suggested they’d have been relegated before now. 

Did you watch Hearts last season? They would have been stranded 2 games into the split if we had played to a finish.

The season before he got the new manager bounce and Dundee were awful.

This season is looking like the first real challenge for him and up until the last 2 weeks he was massively failing at it, still time for him to do so.

1 hour ago, Junior_Arab said:

Agree with this.  If you take budgets into account Rice has and continues to exceed expectations. Plenty of managers you couldn’t say the same for