Rank the Managers - Championship Edition

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Did you just rate Jocky Scott as the worst manager in a league that contained Willie McStay, Allan Moore, Gordon Chisholm, Kenny Brannigan, Steven Pressley & Jim McIntyre?

200.gif

No.   Hence why i said the 10/11 list was in finishing order.  I didn’t rank them,  the order was the positions of the clubs they managed. 

10 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

No.   Hence why i said the 10/11 list was in finishing order.  I didn’t rank them,  the order was the positions of the clubs they managed. 

My head was gone so misread it!

Edited 7 minutes ago, you cheeky scamp.

Edited by Ludo*1

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

My head was gone so misread it!

Edited 7 minutes ago, you cheeky scamp.

Only edited cos I released their was a half thought about commenting more on McCall that I never followed through on. 

You can see the difference in my edited post and the quoted post that shows the original.  Comment on how 10/11 managers were listed is in both.

4 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Can't see any criteria as to how Johnston, McPake or Kerr can be above Crawford tbh. 

The standard of manager doesn't seem great in this league. 

1.McGlynn

2.Neilson 

3.Robertson

4.Campbell

5.Grant

6.Crawford

7.Johnston

8.Kerr

9.McElhone

10.McPake

They both finished above us last season. That's one possible criteria.

Not saying they are, or are not, better managers than Crawford, but would dispute that there is no criteria to make an argument for them being better. Of course that same criteria can be used this season to argue the opposite, which is why I can't say if they are or are not better or worse. End of the season will be better (obviously) to make a judgement.

Managers lose games.  My point wasn't necessarily he's a particularly good manager, but I'm pretty sure giving Dick Campbell the Hearts job wouldn't have resulted in 16 straight wins.

Nobodies saying that though..

I doubt Neilson would have been as successful with us as John McGlynn is, on a shoestring budget though

I also doubt he’d have kept Arbroath up there as one of the best part time teams in the country.

1 hour ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Nobodies saying that though..

I doubt Neilson would have been as successful with us as John McGlynn is, on a shoestring budget though

I also doubt he’d have kept Arbroath up there as one of the best part time teams in the country.

No, but there are people saying McGlynn and Campbell are the two best managers in the division.  Which, depending on what your expectations and circumstances are, maybe they are.  I don't think they'd be good for Hearts though

1. Mcglynn

2. Campbell

3. Grant

4. Robertson

5. Neilson

6. Crawford

7. Kerr

8. Johnston

9. McElhone

10. Mcpake

not watched many games this season apart from ones on TV, but I’ve always been impressed by Arbroath and Alloa as part time teams. 

I’d say Robertson has done well for us since he came in, and we’re in a far better state than we were after Foran. He signed Coll Donaldson and Joe Chalmers and made them look like footballers. Players like Jamie Mccart, Shaun Rooney and Liam Polworth have all moved onto to better things too. That being said he did sign Kevin Mchattie and continues to play Brad McKay 

No, but there are people saying McGlynn and Campbell are the two best managers in the division.  Which, depending on what your expectations and circumstances are, maybe they are.  I don't think they'd be good for Hearts though

And the majority of people don’t think Neilson would be good for the other 9 teams in this division. They do however think McGylynn and Campbell could be though.

2 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

And the majority of people don’t think Neilson would be good for the other 9 teams in this division. They do however think McGylynn and Campbell could be though.

McGlynn and Campbell have done poor when they've stepped up before though... 

I don't think it's a particularly hot take to say some managers will work better in certain situations than others. 

5 hours ago, Grant228 said:

McGlynn and Campbell have done poor when they've stepped up before though... 

I don't think it's a particularly hot take to say some managers will work better in certain situations than others. 

Pretty much this. Mcglynn wouldn't be doing any better at Hearts than Nielson currently is, and vice versa. 

11 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

No, but there are people saying McGlynn and Campbell are the two best managers in the division. 

So I'll certainly be one of those who have mentioned both McGlynn and Campbell.  However, what I didn't do was to say that they were the best in the division or to try to rank all 10 managers in the division - I haven't done that because I don't know enough about each manager and what their particular circumstances are this season.  What I said was that it was clear those two were doing decent work at their clubs.

This is all very subjective and probably the only objective measure is the final table at the end of the season - and by that yardstick you'd have to say that Neilson should get credit (even given his budget advantage) for twice winning this league with different clubs ....... well, he will, won't he?

I haven't mentioned McElhone at Morton because I know nothing about the guy but by all accounts he's been willing to step up and cover a gap at what clearly appears to be difficult times at the club, so a harsh assessment of him would appear be unfair.  Guys like McPake and Crawford, again I don't know much about apart from what the Dees and Pars say on here, but the expectations at these two clubs are set higher than they are at the likes of Queens etc. so they are under more pressure to succeed.

12 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Neilson is a tramp.

He absolutely is. Looks like he'd swap his pish stained shoes for Simon's new trainers outside of London club.

Crawford has some top style.

Dick Campbell is a throwback with his bunnet but definitely owns it.

McGlynn can never be forgiven for the tight trackies and shirt and tie combination. It will always overshadow whatever he wears now.

McPake does a decent jumper and jacket combo.

Mark Kerr enjoys the bodywarmer/gilet look.

Allan Johnston usually rocks a club tracksuit. A timeless style.

Peter Grant is a fan of the club training wear, supplemented with a monogrammed club supplied jacket in the winter.

McElhone appears to dress like a P.E. teacher fittingly.

John Robertson is more of a throwback, usually sporting a shirt, tie and jumper top half with formal slacks and shoes.

Its hard not to give the part time managers an extra mention as they're job i would say is harder than the full time guys, they're only getting to work with the players a couple of hrs on a Tuesday and Thursday night. Although expectation is maybe not as high  although id like to see some of the full time guys trying to be a success working that way.