P&B Ranks: The Top 42 Video Games of All-Time

Miguel Sanchez

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

The top 2 in the poll were also my 1 and 2, can't really add much, both start a bit slow and the RDR story has a couple of mis-steps, the island bit is like it's been put in for a lost bet.

The 2 DLCs for TW3 are nonsensically good, Blood and Wine would have been a 9/10 game on its own with the length of it.

Anyway, my top 10 overall was

Red Dead Redemption 2 
The Witcher 3
Sensible World of Soccer 
CM 01/02
GTA Vice City
Secret Of Monkey Island
Pro Evo 4
Cannon Fodder
Undertale
Fallout : New Vegas

My 13 year old's (not submitted as he's not a P&B member) was

Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Fortnite
Minecraft
Smash Ultimate
Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2
Pokémon Sword
Mario Kart 8
Undertale
Rocket League
Tomodachi Life

Though it was interesting to note that most of mine are single player games, even the more recent ones (I didn't pick RDR2 for the online) whereas his are more collaborative / online.

Yeah I've found that quite interesting too, I'm 28 which might be relativley young for this forum but I've noticed barely any love for multiplayer games. I don't play them too much nowadays due to the fact I've got no mates that still play video games but I'd play it loads if I could. Was right into Fortnite til the PS5 came out and I've recently been loving Knockout City which is a multiplayer game doing very well right now that's really fun and fresh but no replies in the thread I created, people seem happier debating which 10 year old RPG is best for a second playthrough on here, which is of course fair and understandable just quite interesting when compared to younger gamers.

11 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

What was the disabled person part?

I can't say I ever found the game slow. I can imagine some of it being so on a second playthrough but i never felt that way on my playthrough, clearly a very popular game that seemed to be loved by those that "got into it". I think the clunky thing is quite a lazy criticism (others have expressed) would be interesting to see if there was a difference between those on PC and those on console. 

The bit with the "circus freaks". It was pretty shite.

I didn't say the game was clunky, I said the controls were horrendous, and in my opinion they are.

55 minutes ago, GAD said:

I didn't vote for RDR2, it's definitely a good game, and I enjoyed it for the most part, but it's massively overrated. The controls are horrendous, it's slow, and large parts of it are really quite boring. It also has a bit where you beat up a disabled person that's supposed to be funny I think.

I played this mission thread in one of my few sittings with the game. Part of me thought I dreamt it.

28 minutes ago, GAD said:

I didn't say the game was clunky, I said the controls were horrendous, and in my opinion they are.

I can't recall the disabled guy or that particular mission to be fair but Rockstar always have humour close to the bone and I'm guessing it would have been a reflection on the time period and such views rather than a cheap jibe at disabled people but I could be wrong. I acknowledged in the brackets that it was other people not yourself. I don't think there's anything wrong with the controls myself, I might if I was playing Call Of Duty but I thought they balanced the whole exploration free roam controls with the shoot em up controls quite well. 

Just playing some online for the first time in ages. Lassoed (sp?) A perfect pronghorn buck and someone came along and kicked f**k out if it and therefore reduced the value... Drew my pistol, one shot to his head and chucked a dynamite at his horse for good measure. What. A. Game. 

56 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

What was the disabled person part?

I can't say I ever found the game slow. I can imagine some of it being so on a second playthrough but i never felt that way on my playthrough, clearly a very popular game that seemed to be loved by those that "got into it". I think the clunky thing is quite a lazy criticism (others have expressed) would be interesting to see if there was a difference between those on PC and those on console. 

I've played through it once on the PS4 and once on the PS. Other than the PC version looking MUCH better and being able to install a couple of mods they were both pretty much the same. Didnt notice any difference in the controls or gameplay. I found it easier on the PC but that was because I knew what I was doing and was picking more appropriate weapons.

41 minutes ago, GAD said:

You beat up a guy with learning difficulties to stop him killing the barman, its not like you're going round tipping people out of wheelchairs and stealing their disability allowance. As Stormzy said, the whole thing is a reflection of the time period. The fact that people with disabilities were put in freak shows and laughed at is bad enough.

No need to interrogate the game that feels the need to give you the option to beat up a guy with the learning difficulties especially when they give you 'justification' and squirrel it away in a period appropriate setting. No need at all!

10 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

No need to interrogate the game that feels the need to give you the option to beat up a guy with the learning difficulties especially when they give you 'justification' and squirrel it away in a period appropriate setting. No need at all!

Don't even think it gives you the option if you start the quest. Pretty sure the only way to proceed is to "subdue" the guy.

Fucking hell some folk are going to some lengths to find something wrong with the best game of all time here.

Murder, hogtie and dragging people for miles, sticking someone on a railway line/throwing them off a cliff, killing animals for sport, kidnap, needless assault, theft, armed robbery et al - aye that's fine.

Battering a person with learning disabilities - out of order! Disgusting behaviour!

[emoji38]

41 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Fucking hell some folk are going to some lengths to find something wrong with the best game of all time here.

Murder, hogtie and dragging people for miles, sticking someone on a railway line/throwing them off a cliff, killing animals for sport, kidnap, needless assault, theft, armed robbery et al - aye that's fine.

Battering a person with learning disabilities - out of order! Disgusting behaviour!

emoji38.png

I really, REALLY need to find time to play this as I suspect it might push it's way into my top 5 at worst.

I'm currently working my way through the Mass Effect trilogy legendary edition. I'd quite forgotten how much 2 is SUCH a great game, in so many ways. I also love Joker's verbal battles with EDI. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

emoji38.png

Quite right. Why bother going into pointless minutiae like that when you can be so much more direct? (this in itself an apt metaphor for the game)

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

RDR2?  f**k me.  It was boring as f**k.

On the subject of the beating up the disabled guy, part of the theme and arc of Arthur's character is that he does acts of violence for questionable means, all the work he does for the German guy, collecting debts from poor people, the game makes you beat them up but it also usually left you with a feeling that this was morally questionable. Especially reinforced by the outcome of the ill character that eventually dies and you meet his widow after you've previously battered him. 

Amusing that a game with next level details is being called boring, sure it might not be your preferred type of game but objectively there is so much detail and things to do it's a bit iffy describing it as boring, especially in comparison to other open world games like that shitey one with robotic dinosaurs I forget the name of. 

I'd say if that's a rod to beat the game with then folk are absolutely desperate not to like it. I agree with you though, just come out and say you didn't like it or found it boring rather than find the most bizarre reason imaginable not like it.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I'd say if that's a rod to beat the game with then folk are absolutely desperate not to like it. I agree with you though, just come out and say you didn't like it or found it boring rather than find the most bizarre reason imaginable not like it.

It was actually one of several reasons I gave for not making it my favourite game of all time, whilst still saying it was a good game that I mostly enjoyed. Nobody is saying you are not allowed to enjoy beating up the disabled guy.

Edited by GAD

It was actually one of several reasons I gave for not making it my favourite game of all time, whilst still saying it was a good game that I mostly enjoyed. Nobody is saying you are not allowed to enjoy beating up the disabled guy.
And no one has said they enjoyed beating up disabled people, so let's knock that one on the head default_wink.png

The list of games you're able to play must be very small.
It's also worth remembering the last mission in that sequence featured you chasing a teleporting dwarf through some woods. It's the realism that draws you in though.
He's a stage magician * spoiler * he's not really teleporting.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

And no one has said they enjoyed beating up disabled people, so let's knock that one on the head default_wink.png

Well if you aren't going to read what people actually wrote, then why should I?

Lot of weak-arse excuses being made for forcing the player character to beat a developmentally disabled man to a pulp and suggesting it's fine because the man is large, brutish and implacably hostile.