P&B Ranks: The Top 42 Video Games of All-Time

Miguel Sanchez

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Games which are about fatherhood:

The Last of Us, Death Stranding, God of War, The Witcher 3, Bioshock Infinite etc etc. A lot of the big prestige titles of the last decade were on some level about being a dad either literally or figuratively. 

Now you've reminded me of that closing sequence (ha...sequence...it's about an hour) you c**t

Sorry to skip back a bit, but I forgot to mention the Long War mod for XCOM earlier - apparently even some of the devs have said that it's the preferred way to play the game once you've already been through it a few times. Just about to try it  :thumsup2

As far as Zero Punctuation goes, they're entertainment videos. Yahtzee's admitted to making a huge deal out of minor quibbles in games that he otherwise enjoyed because it makes for more interesting viewing, which is fair enough. I doubt he really considered it a problem that Bioshock's Jack can pause time in mid-air in order to perform hacks, for example. It's just fun to watch/listen to him pretend to be wound up and refer to his collection of dead hookers (which I presume his missus made him leave back in Oz).

This is a mental take that I genuinely appreciate someone's said it. What a thread.
Mental?

I think you've misunderstood. Clearly you can label something a sports game, or a platform game but labelling something as a "dads" game is pointless.

There's a lot of unnecessary labeling in society in general

3 hours ago, Mr X said:

Mental?

I think you've misunderstood. Clearly you can label something a sports game, or a platform game but labelling something as a "dads" game is pointless.

There's a lot of unnecessary labeling in society in general

Well it's not pointless it's a helpful way to frame a discussion around different games which share similar themes especially if they're all critically lauded and seen as influential in their medium. 

28 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Well it's not pointless it's a helpful way to frame a discussion around different games which share similar themes especially if they're all critically lauded and seen as influential in their medium. 

Well, maybe, if you were really lazy. 

Think Jim Sterling did a video about the trend for Dad Games dealing with Dad worries for Dads. Might have been a dream; they've been in my thoughts a lot since they got sexy. Very confusing.

Anyway, I thought Dad Games were stuff like Train Simulator and MILF Tycoon. Games a middle-aged woodwork teacher would play in the basement while the rest of their family would roll their eyes due to their remarkable tedium. German economic simulators, that kind of thing.

Whats this hubbub over the last of us 2?  Being a pc gamer I never even gave it a look.  

Anyway is it just that they made a character gay to tick a box?  The only game trailer that made me go a bit gammon was that Battlefield 5, robot woman trailer.  

Whats this hubbub over the last of us 2?  Being a pc gamer I never even gave it a look.  
Anyway is it just that they made a character gay to tick a box?  The only game trailer that made me go a bit gammon was that Battlefield 5, robot woman trailer.  
It wasn't done as a tick box exercise but I find it strange folk think a character being gay is a tick box exercise anyway. I thought we'd moved past that kind of stuff tbh. It's like saying 'the token black'.

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
28 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

It wasn't done as a tick box exercise but I find it strange folk think a character being gay is a tick box exercise anyway. I thought we'd moved past that kind of stuff tbh. It's like saying 'the token black'.

Hiya Miranda!! Hiya Pal!!

37 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Same here, but it sounded like they had a trans character kill a character from the first game, so the neanderthals decided the way to express their outrage about that was to spread a lovely layer of hate for trans people all over the internet for a while. Y'know, in addition to the standard level of hate for transsexual people that's just always there; someone clued me in to the "game" of looking back though someone's Twitter feed if they're transsexual, and it seems like they all get massive amount of hate hurled at them. Seriously, their account could be about making toast, but if they've obviously switched genders, the majority of replies will be bitter invective from internet tough guys.

Anyway, by all accounts the character that was killed was a c**t anyway and, most importantly, was fictional.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

German economic simulators, that kind of thing.

There's an embarrassingly high chance I'd at least give that a go if it was a mobile game, tbh.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

There's an embarrassingly high chance I'd at least give that a go if it was a mobile game, tbh.

Oh, they fucking love their spreadsheet games, the Germans. There was a while where a German company was releasing "adult" titles over here; as a young deviant, I bought a copy of one on the cheap from Electronic Boutique. It was a business simulator with tits, with emphasis on the "business simulator" part  :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, BFTD said:

Same here, but it sounded like they had a trans character kill a character from the first game, so the neanderthals decided the way to express their outrage about that was to spread a lovely layer of hate for trans people all over the internet for a while. Y'know, in addition to the standard level of hate for transsexual people that's just always there; someone clued me in to the "game" of looking back though someone's Twitter feed if they're transsexual, and it seems like they all get massive amount of hate hurled at them. Seriously, their account could be about making toast, but if they've obviously switched genders, the majority of replies will be bitter invective from internet tough guys.

Anyway, by all accounts the character that was killed was a c**t anyway and, most importantly, was fictional.

The character in question, Abby, wasn't even transexual though. She was a ripped female which was enough to lead to the widespread 'tranny' jibes from the basement dwellers. 

The problem was that people were invested in the character she killed and that was bad enough for them, the game took the bold (and my opinion pretty good) move though of shifting the narrative at the halfway point and having you play most of the second half of the game as the character in question to try and see the situation from their perspective and that tipped so, so many fragile minds. 

It doesn't matter to them that the character in question was wronged every bit as much as the protagonists, by the protagonists and had an equally painful story to tell or that the overarching story of the game made almost everyone involved learn that revenge for revenge's sake isn't going to lead to any good (apart from one). Abby was a fucking tranny brute who killed their guy, Naughty Dog were c***s for subjecting them to such a horrible experience and TLOU2 was quickly and severely review bombed. 

Is the story perfect? Nah. It's clunky and awkward at times, established  characters do things so counter intuitive that you wonder how they've managed to survive for so long in this post-apocalypse world and the last hour or so is completely unnecessary but you do appreciate when risks are taken to tell a story and TLOU2 definitely does that. 

That's mental. What I wrote above was pretty much all I'd absorbed about TLOU2 without trying, as they aren't games I'll get the opportunity to play anyway.

I suppose the same people use words like 'cuck' as insults, so it shouldn't be a surprise if they've taking to hurling tranny around as an insult to "people" that they don't like.

13 minutes ago, BFTD said:

That's mental. What I wrote above was pretty much all I'd absorbed about TLOU2 without trying, as they aren't games I'll get the opportunity to play anyway.

I suppose the same people use words like 'cuck' as insults, so it shouldn't be a surprise if they've taking to hurling tranny around as an insult to "people" that they don't like.

Effectively replacing the word "gay" in the same context.

On 13/04/2021 at 16:34, NotThePars said:

What a game. I've probably alluded to it a few times but I love games which reward attention to detail and focus on branching paths and multiple ways to approach quests and this might be far and away the best game at doing it. There's so many ways to approach nearly every encounter and the number of ways to approach the main mystery, the order in which you do things and how you advance the plot is extraordinary. What's more extraordinary is how often the game will try and react to the manner, order, and decisions you take in advancing the various plots. It's not perfect and there's dialogue and elements of missions which act on the assumption you've done stuff when you haven't but they felt like outliers rather than the norm.

The writing is tremendous as well. It's got its own views without being didactic which maybe makes it more effective. I don't think I've seen a greater parody of neoliberalism for example than the Sunday Friend. The heart in the game is great as well. It's not just Kim who's an amazing partner with a ton of depth that I didn't get close to fleshing out but side quests like the Working Class Woman which was a gut-wrencher and Plaisance's daughter and getting her to go back to school. That's before I even get to the cryptid couple and how that quest pans out. I was nearly cheering when I hit the resolution to that story.

Even the folk who're outwardly grating or adversarial like the Hardie Boys I grew to really like. Even Edgar Claire who's ostensibly the stereotypical union boss: fat, corrupt and an arrogant pain in the arse has a lot of depth and it's understandable what his objectives are and possible to empathise with.

Now the issues are largely resolved I'm gonna dive back in and try some of the specific political play throughs or maybe go tonto with the booze or drugs. I played it teetotal and relatively left wing and did well enough apart from absolutely fucking the mid-game confrontation. That meant I had to take Cuno with me to the final section which was hilarious and a good resolution to his story. He's another terrific character. Too unpredictable for me to figure out a lot of the hidden dialogue checks most of the time. When he launches into this mad defence of you though... Unreal. 

(He really doesn't care)

Since there isn't a thread of its own for Disco Elysium...

Finished playthrough 1 last night- against my better judgment I did google afterwards some of the major decisions and their consequences and I think I'm pretty happy with how it panned out.

I thought I was close to the end of the game, then the "tribunal" happened and I thought I was maybe only halfway, but I was right the first time. I think my style of exhausting all the dialogue options probably led to my character not having a consistent political view and also got nowhere really with Cuno but other than that I don't think I missed much. Doing a sober run might be a tricky playthrough and I'll try and stick to one political belief to see how Kim reacts.

Some game, don't think it breaches my top 10 but it's certainly unique. Certainly don't think I've played a game where you can get a "game over" screen by consciously shooting a 10 year old child because you're a bit hungover and she's shouting abuse at you (I didn't do this btw, just watched a YT video of it before coming on here).

Was surprised in the credits to see the developer is based in Estonia, I thought given the heavy amount of French voices and terms in the game it would have been from there, which almost made sense based purely on a couple of other unique games (Heavy Rain, Spiritfarer)  I've played that were French developers.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

The character in question, Abby, wasn't even transexual though. She was a ripped female which was enough to lead to the widespread 'tranny' jibes from the basement dwellers. 

Not even jibes. Some people legitimately believed she was trans. Some laugh.