P&B Ranks: The Top 42 Video Games of All-Time

Miguel Sanchez

6 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Both that and the Zelda are also more than 20 years old and are on consoles that haven't been made for decades. You can't blame that on people you think are casual gamers. 

Given that a lot of the people who likely post on the forum and took part in this are likely of an older generation im still surprised that no other zelda game is going to be mentioned 

(the first part is obviously a guess just from reading posts from people etc) 

I mind someone hit out with a take as hot as the sun on another forum I post on and I have to go find it given the Zelda chat hold on

Here it is: 

"Nintendo’s only real talent is doing things first and ripping off Hayao Miyazaki and the bit about doing it first is highly debatable

Breath Of The Wild is a mediocre Assassin’s Creed game with a stolen aesthetic that only gets by by sanding off the serial numbers off of a type of game that more people like than they want to admit"

Edited by NotThePars

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

I can't ever remember playing a Zelda game or a MGS one.

There were 3 Nintendo games in my top 10 though

Never played the first MGS on the ps1? Was such a defining game, the stealth mechanics was completely fluid and unreal at the time, simple things like chapping on a wall to distract a guard etc 

4 hours ago, GiGi said:

Assassins Creed was dead to me after the Ezio games tbh.

The AC2 Trilogy was the peak of the series in terms of balance of gameplay and story. 

Black Flag was the most fun to play because fucking pirates!

I got as far as the one in Paris (unity?) and chucked it. I've liked the idea of the last 3 which went more open world RPG but I've never gotten round to them. 

44 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

You should try get a shot of "a link to the past" even today it is such a glorious game to play

It's truly remarkable how it holds up. Ocarina was one of my favourite experiences on the N64 but in my opinion it has not stood the test of time nearly as well as LTTP. 

BOTW is great and all but I will confess that 2 years later, I'm still only about half way through it. I keep going back to it and playing for a few days and then something else catches my attention. It's solid and all but it definitely has not had that 'can't put it down' factor at any point that older zelda games have had with me. Think it feels a bit too leisurely a pace at times. 

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

The AC2 Trilogy was the peak of the series in terms of balance of gameplay and story. 

I got as far as the one in Paris (unity?) and chucked it. I've liked the idea of the last 3 which went more open world RPG but I've never gotten round to them. 

Unity was criminal. Ubisoft took the French Revolution, a story perfectly suited for AC, and built an absolutely awful game around it.

When I had an Amiga 30 years ago I loved the LucasArts games such as Day of the Tentacle and especially Grim Fandango which was, and indeed still is, a masterpiece.

Civilisation 2, 3 and 4 were also top notch but kinda lost their way after that.

And SWOS is the greatest football game of all time.

8 hours ago, yoda said:

Assassin's Creed games are rubbish.

Regards,

The Horizon Zero Dawn User Comments Commenter 

P.S., I'd quite like to play BOTW but that would involve sinking money into a Switch that I'll probably never use again 

My usual experience with Assassin's Creed games is that I pick them up for a tenner when I've got nothing else to play, fanny about with them for a few hours doing pointless and extremely repetitive tasks, put it down for a bit, go back to it, can't remember what I'm supposed to be doing, never pay proper attention to the story because it's boring and stupid, start playing something else and never go back to it.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

The new trilogy are such vast improvements on the gameplay that it's difficult to really go back to the earlier games. The combat is much better as well.

2 hours ago, G51 said:

Unity was criminal. Ubisoft took the French Revolution, a story perfectly suited for AC, and built an absolutely awful game around it.

I could write a better story than Unity on the basis of reading like 4 books on the Revolution it's incredibly easy to set up Robespierre as an Assassin who's betrayed but the cowards shat out by being liberals. Look what they did to Marx in Syndicate. Condemning violence FFS.

Edited by NotThePars

IN 30TH PLACE, WITH 14 POINTS FROM 2 VOTES

XCOM Enemy Unknown Game Cover.jpg

Game: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Platform: PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
Release date: 9th October 2012
Gameplay: 

Zero Punctuation review:

User comments: "Probably the most modern game I've fell in love with. Just brilliant, turn based fun."

Poll-maker comments: Back in the day when PlayStation Plus first became a thing I downloaded everything that was offered for free, usually without knowing what the game was or what you did in it. I played at least a dozen AAA games at once and didn't follow through on any of them at the time. About a year later I properly discovered trophies and became a more dedicated completionist. As a result I went back to a lot of games I wouldn't have touched otherwise.

XCOM wasn't one of these. In fact looking at my profile it seems I didn't go back to it until late 2017, and I remember I didn't finish a full campaign either. I also know that there are several difficulty levels beyond the easiest option I was playing on, and even then I was pretty much useless. That said, I can still remember the thrill of playing this and getting off successful shots to finish missions. Regardless of whether you've played a turn-based game like this or not I think it's a very easy format to become invested in. There's the mechanical thrill of completing missions and making progress with your research for better equipment and weapons, and there's an emotional bond too with your assorted units who you hire, train up and send into battle against aliens, watching them improve with each successful campaign. It's hard to create well-rounded characters that an audience can empathise with and care about, it's a mark of how mechanically effective the game is that XCOM manages that with randomly generated avatars.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Absolutely brilliant game.

Yup, the original on the ps1 was good the newer versions simply blew it out the water, i regularly go back and play xcom 2 when ive nothing else to catch my attention, the whole tactical aspect is tremendous, how satisfying is it when you set up and ambush and your team rains death on the enemy