Super saints v Martindale marvels 20/02/21

Injuries, fixture pile up and conditions all lead to that, imo, although we shouldn't allow that to paper over the cracks that this and the Hamilton game were a gilt edged chance to cement a top 6 slot.

That said, Livi have failed to beat us in the league (and only just edged past us in the cup). They are currently the best of the rest just now so in many ways that's not a bad yardstick to compare ourselves to - especially when comparing it to our previous seasons in the relegation zone.

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

Injuries, fixture pile up and conditions all lead to that, imo, although we shouldn't allow that to paper over the cracks that this and the Hamilton game were a gilt edged chance to cement a top 6 slot.

That said, Livi have failed to beat us in the league (and only just edged past us in the cup). They are currently the best of the rest just now so in many ways that's not a bad yardstick to compare ourselves to - especially when comparing it to our previous seasons in the relegation zone.

I think this nails it. Progress for St Mirren this year would to be an arms length from the relegation battle, we're more than that. Today wasnt great to watch but there's a lot factors in play. We've had a great season so far and should recognise that. 

Forrest again didn't make any impact, doesn't seem to work having him and Mullin together on the wings, Serrano has looked far better opposite Mullin. Can only assume Poplatnik is honking in training, when JET keeps getting on ahead of him, from what i've seen Poplatnik and Robbo are our best two front men, but the former can't get near the side just now.

For all the stick i've given McCrorie he did well today, esp with the wind making things difficult, can't say he hasn't done himself out of starting again in the final. Would still like Stryjek to come back in but don't feel as sure about it now.

5 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

For all the stick i've given McCrorie he did well today, esp with the wind making things difficult, can't say he hasn't done himself out of starting again in the final. Would still like Stryjek to come back in but don't feel as sure about it now.

Should be Stryjek 100%. He was a really calm head at Hampden last month.

Yeah, I was surprised to see Max dropped today. Maybe a small injury? McCrorie had a decent game though, can't blame him for the goal and made a couple of other decent saves.

St Mirren were the better team today but the conditions were honking and I'm delighted with the point. Only way we're not making top 6 now is if Dundee Utd turn into a wonderteam overnight.

JET was shocking and deserved to be shouted at. Kabia must be pushing for a starting place on that left wing. Forrest is half the player who started the season with us. Efe makes us better at the back.

Ah well, onto the final. Saints must be favourites at this point, but at least we stopped the rot before it.

32 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

It’s funny how differently supporters see games, I thought MacPherson was very poor apart from his excellent goal and Erwin (who I don’t rate at all) was good today and should have had an assist from setting up McAllister.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of Erwin but actually thought he done ok today. Won a few headers and think the  conditions suited him. Would still like to see the youngsters given some time though.

Fraser was our MoM today by some distance. In a land of 6/10s, the 7/10 man is king.

And yeah, Erwin wasn't awful when he came on, the way the ball was dropping in the wind seemed to suit him as it was coming at him slower.

Edited by Coventry Saint

I’m really, really keen for normal life to return, including fitba’ being back and everything, including mandatory facemasks getting to complete and absolute fcuk, but, after watching our last two home games on SMTV... the fact I wasn’t sitting watching that while freezing my nuts off, being stuck in the car park, or getting tied up in Sevco traffic on the way there, and back.... hmm. Time for another glass of red.

Edited by pozbaird

Thought we deserved the points but it wasn't to be. Not enough of a cutting edge today for all of our possession and shots.

Still in with a chance of top 6, but need a minimum of 4 points (preferably 6) from our next 2 games. 

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

100% with you. It boils my piss. Worse than the first name thing is calling McAllister "McAll" as if it's a special nickname. I would listen to away commentaries before ours.

It was Alan McManus, who has coached most of these young guys for the past four or five years.

That's what he calls them every day, so I guess it's just habit.

Two weakened teams missing four or five first picks was never going to produce a classic, especially in these conditions.

Lack of quality in the final third cost us.

Edited by FTOF

Plenty effort by both teams, the game wasted by the wind, fair result overall, Some important Livi players are still not at their best Pittman, Mullin, Bartley, Sibbald. And some are anonymous, and some are not good enough.

McCrorie  6/10 Done well considering the conditions

Devlin    7/10  Good display, good attacking with some good crosses.

Ambrose   6/10  Stable enough most of game

Guthrie   6/10  Good enough considering swirling wind

Serrano   6/10  Better second half

Sibbald   7/10  Good game while on the park, Dont think he's been match fit
the last 3 games

Holt      3/10   Invisible today, no motivation in getting forward. Livi tend to play with 2 defensive midfielders,I don't know why.

Mullin    5/10  Good in spells, tends to disappear as the game goes on

Pittman   4/10  Playmaker, not today ,plenty effort ,need this guy on the front foot, forced further back today.

Forrest  2/10  After watching him for sometime, I don't think he's good enough, plenty of running, but panics when on the ball

Reilly   3/10  Plenty of running, can't get himself into good positions in the box, another player that's not good enough at this level.

Lawson   5/10  Done ok, think the weather effected his game

Taylor-Sinclair  2/10 I must have missed him coming on, don't think this guys good enough.

Kabia     4/10   Sill not seen enough of him,not really in the game 

Jet      3/10   This guy would be great at walking football, his first touch is good, hold up play, and ball control is good, the problem is he's very slow, can't last 45 minutes, far less 90 minutes.

51 minutes ago, FTOF said:

It was Alan McManus, who has coached most of these young guys for the past four or five years.

That's what he calls them every day, so I guess it's just habit

I was just about to post the same thing, force if habit given his relationship with the players.

As someone said, at least you didn't have our other commentator Gordon McComb who does our away games because the home commentator doesn't drive. However GMcC did commentate our midweek home game v Hamilton and I muted the sound. 

55 minutes ago, FTOF said:

That's what he calls them every day, so I guess it's just habit.

Two weakened teams missing four or five first picks was never going to produce a classic, especially in these conditions.

Lack of quality in the final third cost us.

Fair enough, didn't realise it was McManus. Still annoying, but understandable, I guess.

I thought a draw was fair enough to be honest. We are struggling at the moment and I think the game plan is to be winning after 60 mins and hope to hold on for the last 30, and that didn't happen today and we ended up holding on for the draw a wee bit. Thought Fraser, Obika, Flynn, Durmus and Erhahon were all good today. Great goal by MacPherson as well, an absolutely glorious hit.

1 hour ago, Troy.1995 said:

So,going on your summary. Is their any point in us turning up at Hampden next week?.Genuine question.Baited breath awaits your answer Mr scrutinizer.

Going on form they won't win it,could they win Yes.

Attitude,closing down,not panicking,playing the correct formation and players is key.When Livi are not playing well,it's usually 7 or 8 players at the onetime,don't ask me why this happens ask the players, only they know.

Playing 2 defensive midfielders in front of a back 4 is a recipe for giving up midfield domination

If all fit I would go 4-1-4-1

Stryjek

Devlin  Ambrose  Guthrie  Serrano

Bartley

Mullin  Sibbald  Pittman  Lawson

Robinson (Poplatnik)

Subs 
      Holt
      Kabia
      Reilly
      Jet   30 min at most
      McCrorie
      McMillan

Yeh fair dos. But in a Cup final dont ever go on recent form.As you say,unlikely but weve been in this position before.If its been suggested that Livi have been holding back for this then il have no excuses if we fail. On the other hand,should we prevail and really turn up for this Martindale should be givin the freedom of the county at the least.At our best,St Johnstone will know that in a one off,theyl have to put in a helluva shift to take this,regardless of recent form.We should be back to full streanth for this.Defeat is not an option.

34 minutes ago, Troy.1995 said:

Yeh fair dos. But in a Cup final dont ever go on recent form.As you say,unlikely but weve been in this position before.If its been suggested that Livi have been holding back for this then il have no excuses if we fail. On the other hand,should we prevail and really turn up for this Martindale should be givin the freedom of the county at the least.At our best,St Johnstone will know that in a one off,theyl have to put in a helluva shift to take this,regardless of recent form.We should be back to full streanth for this.Defeat is not an option.

And still nothing from Scrutinizer. He might be right.Doubt Saints fans will read too much into his presumptions.As ive said doubt us at your peril. Put your house on it 🤔.No didnt think so.🦁.