Super saints v Martindale marvels 20/02/21

47 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah that's why i was thinking Martindale may do what he did against Celtic before we played you in the semi, bring in the fringe players and tell them they're playing for a cup final place. We made 7 changes that game and got a 2-2 draw against the returning from Dubai isolation full squad Celtic team. We've got decent quality guys like Forrest not getting a game, i'm sure he'd be bursting a gut to get into our cup final starting XI if we started him tomorrow.

I expect there will be a few changes in your line up, it’s only human nature that players will be thinking about the big day at Hampden. Cup finals don’t come along very often and while I’m envious that you guys made it I’m really up for the fight to gain a top six place, as that would be a terrific achievement for us given our usual scrap in the relegation zone. 

Always a tough game against Livi but as others have argued this could be a good time to catch them.

Wouldn't say it's a must win for our top six chances but it almost certainly is for any outside hope we still harbour of fifth.

You'd think Connolly and Flynn would start this game after being benched on Wednesday. Could really do with Flynn's distribution, seem to get bogged down an awful lot with the Cammy/Ethan combo in centre midfield. Hopefully Erwin won't be needed for this one either.

1 minute ago, AberdeenBud said:

Always a tough game against Livi but as others have argued this could be a good time to catch them.

Wouldn't say it's a must win for our top six chances but it almost certainly is for any outside hope we still harbour of fifth.

You'd think Connolly and Flynn would start this game after being benched on Wednesday. Could really do with Flynn's distribution, seem to get bogged down an awful lot with the Cammy/Ethan combo in centre midfield. Hopefully Erwin won't be needed for this one either.

On the other hand, if we do win then we're a bawhair from being over the line with regards to top six.

5 minutes ago, AberdeenBud said:

Who would you have alongside/off Obika? If we're dropping Erwin and one of Cammy/Ethan, we're not left with a lot of choice. Probably a bit much to expect Kyle to play again after 90 mins in midweek.

It's a shame he must be basically retired and certainly well short of match fitness, but I'd maybe have been sounding out Ross Wallace for another wee stint as back up in the middle. His assist vs Hearts will live long in the memory...

On the other hand, if we do win then we're a bawhair from being over the line with regards to top six.
Aye, it certainly would. I think 40 points might well be enough given United's fixtures and our superior GD. That would require St J to take at least 10 from 12 as well.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Who would you have alongside/off Obika? If we're dropping Erwin and one of Cammy/Ethan, we're not left with a lot of choice. Probably a bit much to expect Kyle to play again after 90 mins in midweek.

It's a shame he must be basically retired and certainly well short of match fitness, but I'd maybe have been sounding out Ross Wallace for another wee stint as back up in the middle. His assist vs Hearts will live long in the memory...

Given the prize money difference between making 5th/6th and making 8th/9th, it might be worth the whilst pushing the boat out a bit for a body or two to get us over the line until the end of the season.

There's pretty slim pickings in the market we'd likely be looking in but there's one or two out there.

Aye we're getting a bit thin now unfortunately. Still no word on Quaner I think but at least JDH and McGrath don't need ops, their replacements are undoubtedly downgrades.

Could play a similar line up as against Aberdeen with Flynn, Cammy, Ethan and Connolly all starting, just having Obika in instead of Erwin.

Three games between the sides this season. Every one a tight one nil, two to us and one to them. Expect similar tomorrow, there won’t be much in it and the slim margins of a spawny deflection, a dodgy refereeing decision or the break of the ball from a set piece will decide the result.
As with midweek a draw wouldn’t really be a bad outcome for either side. With Dundee Utd at Ibrox on Sunday a point will almost certainly keep us in the top six and likely push us and Livi a point further clear of the Arabs.
While we are mainly in the race for that last top six spot, we are also well in the hunt for Europe.
As it seems certain that the Scottish Cup won’t be completed by May, fifth place in the league will play European football next season.
Win this and we are right in the mix for that. Lose and it will be tough to make up an eight point gap over ten games. Basically a win is good, a draw is ok and a loss is bad.
Quaner has been training this week so I would expect to see him on the bench tomorrow. Would like to see Flynn start ahead of Erwin and us to go back to Obika on his own up top, which seems to suit us better. Connolly in for McAllister too I guess.
Since that semi final this will be our 8th game in 24 days, it will be Livi’s 6th. They’ll certainly be fresher but we don’t lose many at home.
1-1

Kyle definitely has a bigger impact coming off the bench, Parkhead performance aside. Better using him for the last 30 than the first 60 in games. Depends on Connolly's fitness though.

Have to think the youth players are only on the bench to make up the numbers given that none of them have had any minutes recently.

1 hour ago, AberdeenBud said:

Aye we're getting a bit thin now unfortunately. Still no word on Quaner I think but at least JDH and McGrath don't need ops, their replacements are undoubtedly downgrades.

Could play a similar line up as against Aberdeen with Flynn, Cammy, Ethan and Connolly all starting, just having Obika in instead of Erwin.

Back training on Monday with main group according to JG. Won't take part tomorrow.

As you said, McGrath and JDH don't require surgery, so it's wait and see with them.

Edited by FTOF

Three games between the sides this season. Every one a tight one nil, two to us and one to them. Expect similar tomorrow, there won’t be much in it and the slim margins of a spawny deflection, a dodgy refereeing decision or the break of the ball from a set piece will decide the result.
As with midweek a draw wouldn’t really be a bad outcome for either side. With Dundee Utd at Ibrox on Sunday a point will almost certainly keep us in the top six and likely push us and Livi a point further clear of the Arabs.
While we are mainly in the race for that last top six spot, we are also well in the hunt for Europe.
As it seems certain that the Scottish Cup won’t be completed by May, fifth place in the league will play European football next season.
Win this and we are right in the mix for that. Lose and it will be tough to make up an eight point gap over ten games. Basically a win is good, a draw is ok and a loss is bad.
Quaner has been training this week so I would expect to see him on the bench tomorrow. Would like to see Flynn start ahead of Erwin and us to go back to Obika on his own up top, which seems to suit us better. Connolly in for McAllister too I guess.
Since that semi final this will be our 8th game in 24 days, it will be Livi’s 6th. They’ll certainly be fresher but we don’t lose many at home.
1-1

I think I heard Jim in his pre match thoughts say Quanner not in the squad tomorrow. Not back in full contact training until next week.

Gavin Reilly back in the squad for this game, DM saying Robbo could make it too, but might be risky playing him in case his back seizes up during the week before the CF.

Would still start Poplatnik and have Reilley as 2nd half replacement for him when he tires, and keep Robbo for the final. Hopefully JET stays on the bench, or only gets 10 mins or so on the wing for Mullin late on.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

34 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Gavin Reilly back in the squad for this game, DM saying Robbo could make it too, but might be risky playing him in case his back seizes up during the week before the CF.

Would still start Poplatnik and have Reilley as 2nd half replacement for him when he tires, and keep Robbo for the final. Hopefully JET stays on the bench, or only gets 10 mins or so on the wing for Mullin late on.

Agree would have Poppers leading the line if no Robbo. Nice to see Kabia making appearances too. Possibly the only really pace we have up the park. Playing devil’s advocate, we realised months ago that Jet lacks the mobility to play up top and so he has been played out wide. He was on a hiding to nothing playing up there against Utd on a heavy pitch.

As everyone else has said, this will be tight and a goal either way to win it.