Motherwell Crocked 11 v League Cup Finalist Perth Saints 20 Feb

34 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

That's shite.

As your fellow posters have pointed out to you, he gets stuck in and makes wholehearted physical challenges, but there's nothing subtle or underhand about it.  

7 minutes ago, The Marly said:
3 hours ago, Busta Nut said:
Murray Davidson has always been a fly wee cu nt 

He's not. He's the kind of hard tackling midfielder that everyone loves in their team and hates in opposition teams. You're thinking of Scott Brown.

Nah I canny mind what it was but he defo did something snidey once. I remember. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think you'll find Murray Davidson isn't "physical", he's "streetwise". 

basically an admission. 

6 hours ago, Widge said:

Either way, we really should be looking to capitalise on Motherwell's injuries; however I guess from a tactics point of view it makes it tricky to anticipate what happens. For example the best player the last time we played at Fir Park was O'Halloran who ripped Lamie to shreds from right wing back, but he isn't going to play in this game. I'd be tempted to give Middleton a shot somewhere up front and give Spoony a rest as he's arguably the key man next week. Plus I quite liked the look of Middleton, his touches for the time he was on and the way he looked to take players on and have a shot impressed me. I wasn't overly convinced on him signing, but he looks like he applies himself well and is something different to what we've got.

Middleton is the new MOH. 

I'm expecting he'll start (can't play in the cup final, has been impressive, depleted defence to run at). The 'problem' though is that pretty much means 5-2-3 when I think 5-3-2 would be more effective. Would be very happy with a Kane/Melamed front pair starting but equally OK with;

Clark

Rooney  Kerr  Gordon  McCart  Tanser

Bryson  McCann

Middleton  Kane  Spoony

I think CD will start with something like that, and give Muzz and Conway game time later on as he'll be wanting them to start next Sunday.  

2-0 Saints. 

9 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

The 'problem' though is that pretty much means 5-2-3 when I think 5-3-2 would be more effective.

Only seen then Hamilton/Kilmarnock games so far, but Motherwell still have a major problem defending out wide. Noticed in the McDiarmid game, then MOH ripped them apart at Fir Park due to it, and it seems to have continued on under Alexander. 

Their CMs seem to regularly have to go out and cover the wide areas as their attackers don't track back, if the CMs can't then, if you have FBs/WMs, you're suddenly 2v1 on a wing.

Strange it's still happening even with a new manager.

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Only seen then Hamilton/Kilmarnock games so far, but Motherwell still have a major problem defending out wide. Noticed in the McDiarmid game, then MOH ripped them apart at Fir Park due to it, and it seems to have continued on under Alexander. 

Their CMs seem to regularly have to go out and cover the wide areas as their attackers don't track back, if the CMs can't then, if you have FBs/WMs, you're suddenly 2v1 on a wing.

Strange it's still happening even with a new manager.

Alexanders tactic is to play narrow, defend the width of the box and let the opposition have the ball unchallenged out wide. It's then basically about backing your centre halves to be better at getting on the end of any crosses than the attackers.

It's worked a treat against everyone so far to be fair including both the Old Form (i've erased the Hamilton game from my mind). He seems to have figured that wide men in this league are for the most part...just hitting the ball into the box as opposed to delivering pinpoint crosses, and our backline whilst technically limited, are massive c***s that almost always get there before a striker.

Meant more that your CMs get dragged wide to defend.

As soon as the ball enters your half, you 3 strikers all narrow and the "wide" CMs push out. It clearly works, but there's split seconds every time where your side is absolutely wide open. Suspect teams will pick up on that soon and find a way to target it.

Tomorrow you could have Maguire trying to track Shaun Rooney, and Carroll (is he fit?) marking Middleton. Seems wild.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Meant more that your CMs get dragged wide to defend.

As soon as the ball enters your half, you 3 strikers all narrow and the "wide" CMs push out. It clearly works, but there's split seconds every time where your side is absolutely wide open. Suspect teams will pick up on that soon and find a way to target it.

Tomorrow you could have Maguire trying to track Shaun Rooney, and Carroll (is he fit?) marking Middleton. Seems wild.

This is why I thought it was interesting we tried out a back 3 with wingbacks once the game was dead last week.

As @Al B says Alexander's Plan A has, by and large worked a treat. Of the 3 games we've lost under him 2 have been when we've been down to 10 men for substantial periods of the game. The Accies game is pretty much the only game where the players have went wildly off script and...well we know what happened there.

The concern I'd have is if Plan A isn't working whether we've got an alternative. Or simply do we have an alternative to match up against a different shape. I don't know if it was needs must that we went to a back 3 or if he was looking at potential alternatives if the 433 doesn't fit.

19 hours ago, welldaft said:

Bring back the old MJC..actually don’t. 

I would bite your hand off for a shitfest win.

The only way to ensure we don’t lose is for me to put a few bob on a St Johnstone win. I am seriously considering doing it as the last time I won a bet was when Willie Pettigrew was playing for us. Sorry Perth Saints I just have to do it. 

So would I, any win will do especially after last weeks shambles. If we can scrape enough ‘shitfest wins’ between now and May to keep us in the league then that’ll do for me. After that we can hopefully start moving forward and GA can start rebuilding the squad.

31 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

This is why I thought it was interesting we tried out a back 3 with wingbacks once the game was dead last week

Would make sense, as I don't think a narrow front 3/CMs going wide matches up well to us at all. Suspect you'd see Wotherspoon floating between lines a lot finding space constantly.

Current 4-3-3 also seems to remove Campbell from the centre of the park in your own half a lot, which seems a bit daft. I'll be happy if hes out marking Tanser/Booth instead of McCann, though.

The sooner this season ends the better, as long as we keep top flight status I will be happy. This has been a terrible season. I look forward to a big clear out and a rebuild of hard b*****ds

Edited by Well Well