Motherwell Crocked 11 v League Cup Finalist Perth Saints 20 Feb

Firstly, it's wild that McGinley is still concussed from that challenge that definitely wasn't a penalty a few weeks back (and I plan to be outraged about it on a weekly basis until he slides back to his unused sub berth) - our luck this season summed up right there.

I'm on the nervous side of things here - we've shown some signs of life recently but even if you want to treat the Accies game as an outlier (because we always lose to Accies) the sense of fragility around our defence can't be glossed over and having no-one fit is only going to make it worse.

More than usual - first goal here is going to be the deciding factor IMO - if we lose an early one, Jock will be getting turned off before half time again I think...

If Nolan isn’t fit I reckon it’ll be Lamie and O’Hara at CB with Magloire at RB.

Max Johnson seems to be very highly rated but chucking in a 17 year old who’s not even been able to play any youth/reserve games this season is asking for trouble. He looked burst during his 15 mins on the park last week.

I’m hoping Saints will have an eye on the cup final next week, but our injury list and fairly rubbish home form should see the Saintees go home with the points and put us right back in the shit with fixtures against St Mirren, Hibs and Livi before the split.

1 minute ago, Swello said:

More than usual - first goal here is going to be the deciding factor IMO

Tbf is this not the tye of fixture where one club scores first then loses 2-1?

1 minute ago, Swello said:

Firstly, it's wild that McGinley is still concussed from that challenge that definitely wasn't a penalty a few weeks back (and I plan to be outraged about it on a weekly basis until he slides back to his unused sub berth) - our luck this season summed up right there.

He was lurking in the background of one of the training photos posted yesterday. So that's something.

EuhjGHfXUAQs5PS?format=jpg&name=large

44 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I found myself re-watching the 2nd half of last week's game after I'd mentioned the bold Tyler as an option yesterday and aside from the general fucking hell about the result - O'Hara went to centre back when Mugabi went off. It was interesting that once the game was pretty much gone after the 3rd went in and Magloire came on we shifted to a back 3 and we were roughly 342 it seemed relevant as Alexander's pretty much stuck exclusively with the 433 (even when Polworth had his wee tantrum at Pittodrie we kept the front 3 on).

Also, it's worth saying that taking the score out the equation - Watt and Cole were v.good again.

Alexander still feels such an unknown quantity as a manager and we've heard as little about the January signings that it really is a case of "f**k knows" what we'll do. I mean, does Eddie Nolan even exist? You can at least say we've seen Smith, Magloire, Roberts and Foley on the park in one form or another since they signed.

For all Mugabi and Lamie are objectively a pretty rotten pairing they'd at least been playing together fairly regularly enough that dropping a new guy in at right back might have been manageable with 3 of a reasonably settled back 4 but depending on what the situation is with injuries + SOD's suspension there a decent chance it could be a bunch of players in our back line who have never started a game together.

I wondered if O'Hara going to centre-back was a combination of putting him in a position he's more comfortable in and bringing Johnston on for his debut at a time where there was nothing left to lose.

I have been a fan of Alexander so far (Saturday past aside) but you can't help but feel a wee bit of fear for the impending summer rebuild if the only one of our seven January signings to make an impact is the only one he didn't sign. Obviously to caveat that, it was the January window in COVID times but it does just feel like we made so many unnecessary signings.

Eddie Nolan is becoming the new Luka Belic. I thought he looked a good signing on paper, but he's only played two EFL trophy games since December 2019 so if it's match fitness that's the issue, there was clearly no point in signing him. There doesn't appear to be injuries either. Just seems to have fallen out of the Crewe team at Christmas last year (in league two) and then never got back in. The fact that we are even speculating over whether Magloire will play tomorrow or not when Mugabi, Gallagher, McGinley, Nolan, Foley, Dunne and Donnelly are all missing puts him down as an unnecessary signing in my book too. Especially as he is on loan, you could maybe sign someone like that as a "project" but not a six-month loan.

I see there is still a belief on the Motherwell forum that Saints are a big physical team, who'll kick folk and are very streetwise.

Beggars belief that is still being pedalled as it hasn't been the case for 3/4 seasons now and we're typically soft as shite and rarely put challenges in that we should. All about the #sexyfootball in Perth these days. Maybe we'll manage to outgrow the common perception of our style of play and you'd have liked to think it would have passed with Wright moing on, but apparently not.

Still a win here would be not both excellent preparation for next weekend, but would probably mean we didn't have to look over our shoulder any more. I think we're quietly improving and going under most of the football journalists radars by virtue of us only losing to the OF in our last 10/11 games and they were both narrow 1 goal wins where we arguably should have taken points. 

8 minutes ago, Widge said:

I see there is still a belief on the Motherwell forum that Saints are a big physical team, who'll kick folk and are very streetwise.

I haven't posted on steelmen in a good few years but if it's the poster I'm thinking of, I wouldn't take it personally.

He says that about literally every team we play.

2 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I haven't posted on steelmen in a good few years but if it's the poster I'm thinking of, I wouldn't take it personally.

He says that about literally every team we play.

It did appear to be the same poster pedalling it with a few jumping on the bandwagon. Doesn't bother me, every teams supporters think the same. I did like the main reasoning behind it being that when we won 5-1 at Fir Park, we apparently kicked Motherwell off the pitch, not the fact we totally #balled our way to success. I just always find it amusing other peoples takes on us. 

Either way, we really should be looking to capitalise on Motherwell's injuries; however I guess from a tactics point of view it makes it tricky to anticipate what happens. For example the best player the last time we played at Fir Park was O'Halloran who ripped Lamie to shreds from right wing back, but he isn't going to play in this game. I'd be tempted to give Middleton a shot somewhere up front and give Spoony a rest as he's arguably the key man next week. Plus I quite liked the look of Middleton, his touches for the time he was on and the way he looked to take players on and have a shot impressed me. I wasn't overly convinced on him signing, but he looks like he applies himself well and is something different to what we've got.

2 hours ago, Widge said:

Beggars belief that is still being pedalled as it hasn't been the case for 3/4 seasons now and we're typically soft as shite and rarely put challenges in that we should. All about the #sexyfootball in Perth these days. Maybe we'll manage to outgrow the common perception of our style of play and you'd have liked to think it would have passed with Wright moing on, but apparently not.

Murray Davidson has always been a fly wee cu nt 

2 hours ago, ropy said:

That suggests his actions aren’t blatant.

Exactly - he's not been particularly subtle about anything. Always thought he was a really good player though, no matter how much I hate him when we play Saints - would have been more than happy to have him in our team at some point.

7 hours ago, Radford said:

It's times like these that having the smallest budget in the league and only being able to afford 35 players really hurts some clubs. 

In fairness 35 players on one of the smallest budgets in the league would certainly explain why majority of them are absolutely dogshit.

16 minutes ago, Swello said:

Exactly - he's not been particularly subtle about anything. Always thought he was a really good player though, no matter how much I hate him when we play Saints - would have been more than happy to have him in our team at some point.

He is what I expected Mark O’Hara to be

17 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

When we were linked with Wright earlier somebody on Steelmen was worried he'd be used to a larger budget at St Johnstone than he'd get here, as they spent less money on their media team than we do.

Tbf our media team probably earn their crust having to keep tabs on 50 c***s at a time. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with teams kicking lumps out the opposition. One of the most fun Motherwell teams in my lifetime made 2 cup finals doing exactly that.

Fwiw, I've never found St Johnstone to be overly physical. Certainly no more than anyone else in the league.