Motherwell Crocked 11 v League Cup Finalist Perth Saints 20 Feb

After last weekend I have the fear for any game. Not least as we seem to now have approx half our squad injured and / or suspended. Missing almost an entire defence for this game including our 2 Scotland Internationals 🤕

I hope that The farmers have one eye on next weekend. Will Davidson rest any players ? My guess is he will say to all the starting players and subs this is your opportunity to show you deserve a start for the League Cup Final. If that is the case then it makes this an even tougher game. 

I genuinely have no idea what to expect from Motherwell at the moment. Was last weekend a blip or the start of a worrying trend. We had won 3 of 4 before that but being truthful only one goal in each game and could have gone either way. 

A win would be fantastic but a draw may be the best we can hope for with half a team missing 😤

:lol: this season can get so far into the fucking sea.

1333244799_ScreenShot2021-02-18at15_26_27.png.68ab1f5b80902859a77a39f360e27eea.png

Doesn't even include folk like Mugabi who's apparently out along with the collection of new signings like Smith and Nolan who were missing from the bench on Saturday.

Edited by capt_oats

47 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

:lol: this season can get so far into the fucking sea.

1333244799_ScreenShot2021-02-18at15_26_27.png.68ab1f5b80902859a77a39f360e27eea.png

Doesn't even include folk like Mugabi who's apparently out along with the collection of new signings like Smith and Nolan who were missing from the bench on Saturday.

Genuinely wouldn't be surprised if Johnston was brought on to give him a run out since he's the only available right back now. Grimshaw's been out with whatever this illness is (covid related? who knows!) and I suspect if Mugabi's out we'll be putting O'Hara to centre back. 

What will Motherwell’s defense look like with all of those players out? Rickie Lamie plus who?

For us the back six picks itself for this game and the final if Tanser is fit again, McCann will start with one other center mid, probably Bryson (favoured recently) or Craig. Charlie Gilmour the wildcard choice. Some talk Muzz is back in training, imagine it might be too soon to start him but need to get some minutes in to him ahead of the cup final.

Dunno what I’d do further up the pitch - looking at this game on its own I’d like to see Wotherspoon behind Melamed and Kane, but with an eye on next week might be worth giving Middleton a chance to stake a claim in the 5-2-3? He’s looked good off the bench in the last couple of games and I expect Davidson will use that system next week and bench Melamed, with either Conway or Middleton alongside Wotherspoon, and Kane in the middle. Feel starting the two strikers here is the best option for winning this game though, especially with ‘Well’s defensive difficulties.

4 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

What will Motherwell’s defense look like with all of those players out? Rickie Lamie plus who?

At a guess I'd imagine we'll be:

Kelly
Johnston O'Hara Lamie Carroll
Campbell Crawford Maguire
Long Cole Watt

We may not pitch Johnston in given he's only 17 and just made his debut last week but as @well fan for life says he's pretty much our only fit/available right back.

11 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Nae c**t.

Just Carroll and Kelly. We're finally utilising our fifty wingers.

------------------Kelly------------------

-----------------Carroll---------------

Campbell---O'Hara---Crawford---Polworth

Hastie----Watt---------Devante--------Seedorf

----------Big Weird Harry----------------

For us the back six picks itself for this game and the final if Tanser is fit again, McCann will start with one other center mid, probably Bryson (favoured recently) or Craig. Charlie Gilmour the wildcard choice. Some talk Muzz is back in training, imagine it might be too soon to start him but need to get some minutes in to him ahead of the cup final.

Dunno what I’d do further up the pitch - looking at this game on its own I’d like to see Wotherspoon behind Melamed and Kane, but with an eye on next week might be worth giving Middleton a chance to stake a claim in the 5-2-3? He’s looked good off the bench in the last couple of games and I expect Davidson will use that system next week and bench Melamed, with either Conway or Middleton alongside Wotherspoon, and Kane in the middle. Feel starting the two strikers here is the best option for winning this game though, especially with ‘Well’s defensive difficulties.
Think Middleton is cup-tied for the final.

56 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Nae c**t.

Just Carroll and Kelly. We're finally utilising our fifty wingers.

------------------Kelly------------------

-----------------Carroll---------------

Campbell---O'Hara---Crawford---Polworth

Hastie----Watt---------Devante--------Seedorf

----------Big Weird Harry----------------

+1. 

If we're going to get pumped at least let's have a laugh about it.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

At a guess I'd imagine we'll be:

Kelly
Johnston O'Hara Lamie Carroll
Campbell Crawford Maguire
Long Cole Watt

We may not pitch Johnston in given he's only 17 and just made his debut last week but as @well fan for life says he's pretty much our only fit/available right back.

I would like to sacrifice a forward for another midfielder / winger. 3 in the middle is becoming an issue. Too much space in midfield and on each wing. 

Drop Cole and insert Polworth into midfield and go 4-4-2 with Watt and Long up front. Defence will probably be as you have but one wonders if the management team feel Johnston is ready to start. If not is Grimshaw ready or perhaps Maguire at right back ? 

I also have the fear for this one. The games vs St Johnstone have been pretty horrible to watch because they are so good at stopping you playing.

Cole still looks like the only guy that can score a goal for us. Who knows what our team will be but we need a reaction after last week’s shambles.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Didn't they get rid of that rule? Brophy has played for Killie and St Mirren in the Betfred this year

Think you can play for a club in the groups, then a different clubs in the knockouts, but not two different clubs in the knockout stage.

Happy to be corrected with that though.

25 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Realistically, if we set up as we have done then Shaun Rooney is going to absolutely pound us into submission out wide. 

I'm not sure he'll play. Took a  bang to the back against Celtic, and we probably need to play James Brown at some point.

I'm split on this game. We need a couple of wins still to be safe, and ideally we do that as soon as possible. Still top 6 chances too, despite it being very slim now. On the other hand, we have rakes of games after this to pick up points, so the Final should be the priority. A mishmash squad that leaves out players with niggles suits me, I think.

Clark

Brown - Kerr - Gordon - McCart - Booth

McCann - Craig - Wotherspoon 

Melamed - May

I think. Gives Rooney a rest, Tanser/Davidson time to fully recover. Craig gets minutes incase he's needed next week, and Kane gets some time out the firing line. Still a strong line up too I reckon.

All going well you give Tanser/Davidson half an hour or so at the end to get some game time in them before starting next week.

Edited by RandomGuy.