Arbroath vs. Raith Rovers

Arbroath were a far better team today than us and I'd be astonished if any Rovers fan disagrees. Bobby Linn put in an absolutely herculean effort on the wing today: you wouldn't think he's 35 years old. The boy on loan from Hearts looks absolutely superb and we really should have lost by more. Defensively, we persist on trying to play it out from the back under pressure with two players who persistently lose the ball. Davidson continually gets caught trying to pass the ball behind players before then having a go. Benedictus gifted possession and in turn momentum away for the goal. For all we've spoken about the conditions, it's the same for both teams and it's no excuse. The pitch isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination but it didn't stop Arbroath from getting it down and running rings round our defence. 

Matthews is such a huge miss at the base of the midfield. Spencer is really the only other option (or King?) to naturally play that role, and even then he's not in the same mould. Tait deserves a lot of credit for adapting his game, but he naturally wants to be 20 yards further up the park and it shows. Hendry, clearly, takes the responsibility for being the "anchor" and that restricts his attacking contributions. 

Without that natural control in the midfield, we need the attacking game-plan to be spot on, and it was miles off it today. The relatively early goal against Morton gave us a lot of scope to sit back and let the game happen in front of the back line, but I think we got a glimpse of how that game might have developed if we hadn't scored from the set piece. Losing Musonda is a huge blow too. I'm sure McGlynn would've rather played the 3-4-1-2 but, as above, he obviously didn't fancy it with Mendy in alongside Benedictus and Davidson. 

We've basically got four "first team" strikers now, but it seems clear to me that we've got to go back to Duku up front on his own for the Alloa game. It's the only strikeforce that's produced results for us this season. Gullan might be fine in the attacking line behind the striker, but he and Ugwu have had two games together and haven't created a single chance between them, let alone looked like scoring. 

Credit to Arbroath. They wanted it more, great commitment, fight and energy and played the pitch and conditions far better. Got the ball forward quickly and only tried to play football in the right areas. Bobby Linn man of the match for me but Williamson dominated the midfield as well.

7 match unbeaten run for a part time team in this league is an excellent achievement and I have no doubts they will be safe. A very solid side, they don’t try to play easy on the eye football just defend well, outfight and outwork the opposition and get the ball forward early, they all know their jobs. Fair play to them.

Onto us, that was absolutely dreadful. Since the QOS game we only ever seem to be one game away from an absolute shit show and today was up there with QOS, Hearts and Dunfermline. Huge fan of McGlynn but I felt he got it totally wrong today. I’m no fan of Mendy but he was fine against Morton and this game was always going to be a battle. He should have stuck with the same formation as there. 3 big centre backs and grind it out. It was never a pitch for good football yet we tried to pick a small footballing side.

Felt sorry for Kennedy, not the game for him (although he was far from our worst player) it was almost as if McGlynn felt he had to play him because he couldn’t bench him 2 weeks in a row. Nonsense passing it around the back instead of getting it forward pressing Arbroath and trying to play in their half like they did to us, it’s basic but effective.

I actually thought Davidson was decent first half but that second half...deary me. Play him in a 3 or not at all. The amount of times he was left for dead was painful. You could see it on his face too, I think he knows. Awful from Kieran MacDonald at the goal. We had a warning minutes earlier from Armstrong failing to clear his lines, crazy to do the exact same thing again. Adam King has had 3 substitute appearances for us now and I still can’t recall him doing anything of note. Sooner Matthews is back the better.

Only player to get pass marks was Jamie MacDonald who gave the scoreline a more respectable look than it deserved. Must win at home to Alloa next week, we have to be a million times better and then if we could string 2 performances together that would make a very welcome change.

Arbroath TV was okay picture quality, second half wasn’t the best (probably a blessing!) and missed some bits of play when the ball moved quickly but you can tell they are really trying their best to put together a decent product so fair play to them for that.

Well deserved win for arbroath. We were murder. King and Abraham both look like poor signings. Haven't really offered anything yet. Mcglynn needed to make the changes earlier than he did. Tactically wrong and ugwu and gullan offered nothing. Doesn't help when the midfield pass the ball backwards at every opportunity though.

Great result and performance again, unbelievable run we’ve been on now, all built on being solid defensively. 
Well done to the much criticised Doolan on being the match winner. 

With 5 players missing, it was a huge effort to outplay a good team like Raith. 

Bobby was terrific today and great to see him getting more than an hour on the park I think the consistency he is showing this season is up there with his performances in our League 1 title winning season A great team performance once again today but we really need to find more goals from somewhere we probably should have won by at least 2 but could have conceded another late goal which would have been a tragedy

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

...actually thought Davidson was decent first half but that second half...deary me. Play him in a 3 or not at all. The amount of times he was left for dead was painful. You could see it on his face too, I think he knows.

Honestly, I think Mendy is better suited to playing in a back 3 than Davo now. In a back two, I would take Musonda first, Bene second, Mendy third and Davo last. Given today’s conditions, we should have played more like Mendy/Davo/Bene in back, Tumilty and KMac as wingbacks, Hendry as a Defensive Mid. I know, I didn’t think Duku should be in there, but he looked more effective, I’ll admit I was in error there too.

Arbroath were outstanding from start to finish - could have easily been 4-0 Arbroath and I don't think Raith fans would disagree with that.

In every area of the pitch Arbroath dominated -  one of the most one sided games I have seen in sometime.

Bobby Linn is 35 years old but skinning guys in their early 20s - what a fantastic player he is.

Williamson put in another great performance ( as did the every Arbroath player on the park).

New loan signing Moore looked really sharp.

Thanks to all the Arbroath players for another great day of football.

A well deserved victory.

Fully deserved the win today, we were the better side throughout the game. Every body played well including Ricky Little's haircut.  Very difficult to pick a man of the match, wouldn't single anyone out but Mr Linn is still a class act. Another goal or two would have been welcome and Raith couldn't have complained.

The lad Williamson looks to be a great replacement for Miko Virtanen in the midfield and Lewis Moore showed what he can bring to the team in his 15 minutes or so. Can see him and Jack Hamilton causing defences problems if they are in the side together.

A bit off a gap now between us and the relegation places, let's hope we can keep the good run going.