Dunfermline Athletic vs Alloa Athletic

6 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

The chalked off goal looked very soft.

Nah, correct decision by the ref. 

As harsh as it may sound, if that's as good as Alloa have been you can see why they're in trouble, for as terrible as we apparently were, and for however much Alloa were amazing, hee haw was happening that second half. 

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

It was hard to see from the replays but obviously grant was raging  at them.

The chalked off goal looked very soft.

If I can compare it to one earlier in the season against Queen of the South when Gregor Buchanan uses Graham's shoulders as a launchpad... It's no worse than that. The difference is referees are penalising us for it.  There's been one unbelievable refereeing decision for us when the ref gave a ghost penalty against Hearts. There's been at least 5-6 the other way that have changed games to our detriment.

1 minute ago, We Are Pars Fans! said:

OFW is going to cost us games, struggles with basic shot stopping.
We were mince today but good to get a win when playing poor.

He's too inconsistent. He actually made two good saves today (first half free kick and second half low shot) but seemed to flap a bit at the goal (although I would blame the defence for that more). But we've seen him let in really weak shots, like Raith's goal.

Upgrade needed.

7 minutes ago, We Are Pars Fans! said:

OFW is going to cost us games, struggles with basic shot stopping.
We were mince today but good to get a win when playing poor.

He paints pictures of East End though. Well worth a 2 year deal. f**k knows what he's teaching Cammy Gill. 

Edited by Chubbychops

Just now, Wee wasp said:

Aye I'd tend to agree with you but  they've propably overachieved for a few year, I'd be more worried about dunfermline and yet another year in the championship or is that their level  

Probably our level under Crawford. Think he assembles a decent squad but definitely not getting the best out of them.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

Cant believe pars fans are happy with that. 

Of course it wasn’t a good performance,  but winning is the only thing that matters.  

If your going to be unhappy about winning cos it wasn’t pretty enough then I’m not sure scottish football is for you.    Give me ugly wins any day of the week.

36 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Nah, correct decision by the ref. 

As harsh as it may sound, if that's as good as Alloa have been you can see why they're in trouble, for as terrible as we apparently were, and for however much Alloa were amazing, hee haw was happening that second half. 

Amazing a bit much 😁 but we were rubbish the last couple of games, despite picking up 4 points. Today was much better. The reason we are bottom is that have gifted horrendous goals and lacked a cutting edge to take advantage of the possession we usually have. Today was different, we did have a few chances and on another day would have scored more. The league is shite and that level of performance every week over a season would keep us up. 

5 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Of course it wasn’t a good performance,  but winning is the only thing that matters.  

If your going to be unhappy about winning cos it wasn’t pretty enough then I’m not sure scottish football is for you.    Give me ugly wins any day of the week.

This is true if you are also capable of really good performances when required. I remember Alan Maitland's 2010 Alloa side which was a terrific squad on paper yet never really produced the level of performance they should have been capable of. They kept winning ugly almost all season though and we said what you are saying. However, as the season reached its climax they faltered. Maitland's inability to get the best, or anything near the best, out of the players we had cost us when it really mattered. Winning ugly won't get you up I suspect, you're going to need some big performances too. Does Crawford really know how to get the best out of what is clearly a talented group of players? I don't see you often enough to be sure but I think it's a valid question. 

7 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Amazing a bit much 😁 but we were rubbish the last couple of games, despite picking up 4 points. Today was much better. The reason we are bottom is that have gifted horrendous goals and lacked a cutting edge to take advantage of the possession we usually have. Today was different, we did have a few chances and on another day would have scored more. The league is shite and that level of performance every week over a season would keep us up. 

This is true if you are also capable of really good performances when required. I remember Alan Maitland's 2010 Alloa side which was a terrific squad on paper yet never really produced the level of performance they should have been capable of. They kept winning ugly almost all season though and we said what you are saying. However, as the season reached its climax they faltered. Maitland's inability to get the best, or anything near the best, out of the players we had cost us when it really mattered. Winning ugly won't get you up I suspect, you're going to need some big performances too. Does Crawford really know how to get the best out of what is clearly a talented group of players? I don't see you often enough to be sure but I think it's a valid question. 

It’s going to be interesting,  there was abit of pressure to get some points in the final few games at the start of his spell to avoid the relegation play-offs but it looked like we already had enough points and that proved to be the case despite a dreadful run of form.   The play-offs(should we make them) this season will likely be the first we’ll see of how he handles big game pressure.

The commentators discussing the man of the match and actually claiming there are a few candidates [emoji28]
Haha that was me saying that on the comms! In fairness I was just trying to drum up intrigue - though I did think Banks looked promising for the first 30 minutes and Watson coped with his defensive duties impressively.

On the game, we were hugely fortunate to get 3 points but then I would argue there are have been games where we deserved more as well. It does show the importance of us getting Wighton in, as his two instinctive finishes have proved the difference.

It's also the first time we have managed to beat Alloa in the league since they came up 3 years ago, so it's good to get that hoodoo off us.

Just now, LazyBW said:

Haha that was me saying that on the comms! In fairness I was just trying to drum up intrigue - though I did think Banks looked promising for the first 30 minutes and Watson coped with his defensive duties impressively.

On the game, we were hugely fortunate to get 3 points but then I would argue there are have been games where we deserved more as well. It does show the importance of us getting Wighton in, as his two instinctive finishes have proved the difference.

It's also the first time we have managed to beat Alloa in the league since they came up 3 years ago, so it's good to get that hoodoo off us.

Aye Banks was good first half, Murray too. But they didn't get forward much at all second half and saw little of the ball.

Yup, I noted in the first post that we hadn't beaten them in 6 games at East End. Did you say during the game that it was our first win against them in the league since 1983?!

11 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Peter Grant is absolutely raging I see. His post match comments may land him in a bit of bother (unless Big Mike pulls some strings of course).

He is raging almost every week to be honest. I doubt his lambasting officials with such regularity does us any favours. 

6 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

It’s going to be interesting,  there was abit of pressure to get some points in the final few games at the start of his spell to avoid the relegation play-offs but it looked like we already had enough points and that proved to be the case despite a dreadful run of form.   The play-offs(should we make them) this season will likely be the first we’ll see of how he handles big game pressure.

I didn't mean handling pressure so much, rather is he capable of getting the best out of those players when they are up against decent sides in big games? Winning ugly is good but at some point you need to know the team can produce the level they should be capable of. I have no axe to grind with Crawford, indeed he came across really well in an interview I read recently, and his recruitment is good, but his teams look very disjointed pretty much every time I've seen them. 

Should add, thought the stream and comms and analysis today were good. Lost the stream for a minute in the second half but otherwise excellent. 

Edited by Waspie

Aye Banks was good first half, Murray too. But they didn't get forward much at all second half and saw little of the ball.
Yup, I noted in the first post that we hadn't beaten them in 6 games at East End. Did you say during the game that it was our first win against them in the league since 1983?!
If Soccerbase is correct then our last league victory at EEP was in 82/83. There has been a few cup wins over the years and largely been in different divisions for the majority of the 38 years.

I would agree Murray played well for the 1st half but also put in our only quality cross in the 2nd half which resulted in the goal.

4 minutes ago, LazyBW said:

If Soccerbase is correct then our last league victory at EEP was in 82/83. There has been a few cup wins over the years and largely been in different divisions for the majority of the 38 years.

I would agree Murray played well for the 1st half but also put in our only quality cross in the 2nd half which resulted in the goal.

Aye it's a crazy stat! As you pointed out, we weren't in the same league for a lot of that, but even still, a bit mental.