Dunfermline Athletic vs Alloa Athletic

1 minute ago, whereismillar said:

just seen DG's pics from the game and i can see why the ref disallowed Camerons goal  , not much doubt really .

I genuinely don't get how anyone who watched the game, and then the highlights would have any doubt at all. 

Absolutely minterific from Peter Grant. 

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

You did? For a team that clearly played better you created absolutely nothing, nada, not a single chance where OFW was lauded for a great save or anyone thought the Alloa player should've scored. 

I'd far rather win how he did yesterday, than lose how Alloa did. 

That's not quite right. He made a good save for Taggart's free kick, albeit you would expect him to save it. He was at full stretch for Trouten in the second half though and that was a decent chance. And the disallowed goal goes down as a great chance passed up too because it was a great ball in that Cameron was always winning. Inexperience on his behalf to get done for that, and inexperience too not to go down on the contact at the end. So "nada" is wrong. 

But we're bottom because we do indeed lack a cutting edge (and concede soft goals). Any half decent side with the possession we had yesterday would have won. And of course you'd rather win like the Pars did than lose, but when you have the quality that your squad has you shouldn't have to rely on the struggling opposition being toothless, and end up arguing afterwards about who was more mediocre. In a season when Hearts under Nielson are totally uninspiring that Dunfermline squad, with the right leadership, could offer a real challenge. But I doubt you will and being so poor against a fundamentally flawed Alloa side (twice) is a symptom of that. As I suggested earlier, putting it down as "winning ugly" is tempting but it probably means not confronting some fundamental issues. 

Edited by Waspie

23 minutes ago, Waspie said:

, but when you have the quality that your squad has you shouldn't have to rely on the struggling opposition being toothless, and end up arguing afterwards about who was more mediocre. In a season when Hearts under Nielson are totally uninspiring that Dunfermline squad, with the right leadership, could offer a real challenge. But I doubt you will and being so poor against a fundamentally flawed Alloa side (twice) is a symptom of that. As I suggested earlier, putting it down as "winning ugly" is tempting but it probably means not confronting some fundamental issues. 

I don’t think anyone would argue we played well yesterday. But it was enough.  As for challenging hearts whilst there’s been dropped points in games we should have done better in. given the budget difference it’s ultimately fantasy land. 

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

I don’t think anyone would argue we played well yesterday. But it was enough.  As for challenging hearts whilst there’s been dropped points in games we should have done better in. given the budget difference it’s ultimately fantasy land. 

It should be but Hearts under Nielson are shite and the general standard of the league is pretty grim this year too. You have some cracking players and with a really good manager I think it would be possible to at least push them close. Anyway, I've said enough here. 

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I genuinely don't get how anyone who watched the game, and then the highlights would have any doubt at all. 

Absolutely minterific from Peter Grant. 

First time around i had my doubts, it was the club photographers pics that showed the pull 

maybe when PG sees them too he will change his mind .

DGX_2522

Edited by whereismillar

It should be but Hearts under Nielson are shite and the general standard of the league is pretty grim this year too. You have some cracking players and with a really good manager I think it would be possible to at least push them close. Anyway, I've said enough here. 

Think apart from Hearts there’s not much in this league. If the standard is “pretty grim” maybe Grant should be under pressure given he’s bottom of the pile? Anyway, I've said enough here. 

2 hours ago, Waspie said:

That's not quite right. He made a good save for Taggart's free kick, albeit you would expect him to save it. He was at full stretch for Trouten in the second half though and that was a decent chance. And the disallowed goal goes down as a great chance passed up too because it was a great ball in that Cameron was always winning. Inexperience on his behalf to get done for that, and inexperience too not to go down on the contact at the end. So "nada" is wrong. 

But we're bottom because we do indeed lack a cutting edge (and concede soft goals). Any half decent side with the possession we had yesterday would have won. And of course you'd rather win like the Pars did than lose, but when you have the quality that your squad has you shouldn't have to rely on the struggling opposition being toothless, and end up arguing afterwards about who was more mediocre. In a season when Hearts under Nielson are totally uninspiring that Dunfermline squad, with the right leadership, could offer a real challenge. But I doubt you will and being so poor against a fundamentally flawed Alloa side (twice) is a symptom of that. As I suggested earlier, putting it down as "winning ugly" is tempting but it probably means not confronting some fundamental issues. 

Waspie. I and the Pars fans I speak to would agree 100% with your analysis. Its a pity too many fellow Pars fans are content with performances like that which, with a few notable exceptions, are the norm this season.  

11 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Surely matey you seen that in the highlights? 

🙂 Watching on a computer screen and no way do you pick up every thing going on  !

i mean i missed the 2nd pars goal completely as the stream went  tits up ,

Edited by whereismillar

55 minutes ago, Ayrpar said:

Waspie. I and the Pars fans I speak to would agree 100% with your analysis. Its a pity too many fellow Pars fans are content with performances like that which, with a few notable exceptions, are the norm this season.  

Enough to be 2nd in the league approaching the last round of fixtures.  I’m pretty happy with that and would of certainly taken it on day 1.

5 hours ago, Waspie said:

Spot on, we are a good team playing badly and almost every game has had issues. Hearts twice and rovers at home have been great which sums up Crawford. Alloa played us off the park for 2/3rds of the game, im not ok with that because most of it was down to bad passing and lack of chasing down opposition.

Edited by D.A.F.C

13 hours ago, Black and White Tragic said:

Think apart from Hearts there’s not much in this league. If the standard is “pretty grim” maybe Grant should be under pressure given he’s bottom of the pile? Anyway, I've said enough here. 

Well since I have been critiquing Crawford I'll say a bit about Grant too 😁.

We are punching above our weight being in this league and if you're Alloa being bottom of the Championship doesn't necessarily mean the manager is doing a terrible job. Grant did well last season which has him in credit, and there also needs to be an element of understanding about the particular challenges this season due to Covid. That said, I'd question the signing policy to an extent and I'm also not convinced he is getting enough out of the squad, despite those challenges. Not a fan of his lambasting officials so regularly either. Some Alloa fans would say he is already under pressure. If we go down, which looks increasingly likely, he definitely will be. 

There is another narrative from some Pars fans that winning, however ugly, is all that matters. That's a tempting one to adopt but possibly points more to trying to avoid some awkward truths. 

Is this serious? In football, winning is all that matters. Regardless of any opinions about Saturday’s game, the fact is that Dunfermline won and got 3 points, moving us further ahead of Raith and Dundee.

Yes, we would all like to see our team play well and win. But it’s a result-based industry and it’s all about getting as many points on the board as possible. Even teams spending millions of pounds on players have to win ugly at times. In fact, winning ugly is normally the difference between winning promotion and falling short, or the difference between avoiding relegation and getting relegated. If anything, we haven’t won ugly often enough over the last few years. Sometimes you need to play poorly and win, especially in a division as tight as this one.

What awkward truths are we apparently trying to avoid here? Nobody is claiming we played well. Everyone knows we need to play better if we want to get promoted. Sorry if this seems a little harsh, but the ‘awkward truth’ is, given your league position, getting points on the board is all you should be worried about with just 11 games left this season.

57 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Well since I have been critiquing Crawford I'll say a bit about Grant too 😁.

We are punching above our weight being in this league and if you're Alloa being bottom of the Championship doesn't necessarily mean the manager is doing a terrible job. Grant did well last season which has him in credit, and there also needs to be an element of understanding about the particular challenges this season due to Covid. That said, I'd question the signing policy to an extent and I'm also not convinced he is getting enough out of the squad, despite those challenges. Not a fan of his lambasting officials so regularly either. Some Alloa fans would say he is already under pressure. If we go down, which looks increasingly likely, he definitely will be. 

Did he though? I guess the answer is yes since you "finished" 8th and stayed up but it's often forgotten in the arguments about Thistle and their game in hand whilst being 2 points behind us that it was very much a 3 horse race. Alloa were 3 points clear when things stopped off the back of a terrific post Xmas run and, in particular, having taken 7 points out of 9 against us. Also 3 draws in three v Thistle.

You can spin that either way. Certainly in coming with results at just the right time, particularly against your direct rivals, Grant did a great job. It might also be considered that he got lucky with the timing of the shutdown arriving just when Alloa had completed a run of 1 defeat in 8. If it had arrived 6 weeks earlier you'd have been clear at the bottom.. If it had arrived 2 months later, who knows? He's lost your position as "best part time team in the country" and doesn't look massively likely to achieve that this season either.

Just playing Devil's Advocate though, I've no axe to grind with Grant other than the fact he nearly always beats us (so did most previous Alloa managers since Hartley mind you). It might be argued we've kept him in a job with our inept results against him.