Scotland squad face March 2021

Craigieboy86

Cowardly. Settle yourself down. 

Why do I think? Opinion, I just don't see Robertson being able to play there. I don't he's got the frame for it whereas Tierney has settled fine. And yes, they're of a similar height I believe. 

To say that it's a small change from playing as someone who spends a ton of time bombing up the wing to someone who sits deeper, more centrally is bonkers though. Has it been done? Aye, sure. I never said it can't. I just don't believe Robertson is capable of it. 

Only way someone will convince me otherwise is Andy himself playing in that position and I don't see it happening anytime soon. 

Just now, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

Yes chief. I'm specifically asking what these supposed differences are. 

Seems you'll have to step up to the mark and answer why one of the best full-backs on the planet isn't capable of following a well-trodden path of fellow fullbacks, since the cowardly @Stellaboz@Stellaboz won't/isn't able to come up with an answer himself. Sad! 

Firstly I dont have to do anything. Ill answer this. But if you continue to come off like a tit that may stop.

Tierney is far stronger than robertson and better in the air.

Robertson by contrast is very slight. I think he would be easily bullied at centre back. At centre back you need that strength rather than at full back.

Personally I see Tierney as the more adaptable player. Also the better passer of the 2.

Tierney has played centre back for celtic and arsenal before. Robertson never has, the reasons being his club sides either never needed him to. Or didn't think he was capable.

5 minutes ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

The frame pish is just nonsense. See below.

Its not bonkers at all. Robertson needs players in and around him to be successful. Leaving him isolated to to plough a lonely furrow up the wing doesn't work, because his game isnt about taking players on directly like Tierney. And anyway Robertson is a better passer, uses his weak foot more frequently and is more comfortable coming inside, and slightly better from a technical ball control perspective, i.e manouvering the ball in tight spaces. I think it would actually be a benefit to have him bringing the ball out from the back instead of Tierney

Neither has anyone until they first play there. As I alluded to previously, Tierney was thrown in there at home to England having never played there before. He done fine. 

The physicality point is nonsense. Tierney and Robertson are the same height, and KT is certainly not stronger. He's built like a rake. You seriously trying to tell me there's any significant physical strength divide between these two people? Come off it

thumb_109886_default_news_size_5.jpeg

The stats show Robertson wins a SIGNIFICANTLY higher percentage of aerial duals  per 90 than Tierney. Before any of you claim that thats because Tierney has been targeted with long balls when he played at CB, this is only counting games played at LB

Capture.thumb.PNG.80e705290d0d106b8f1714ef02f1d74f.PNG

If we’re purely talking physicality - Tierney is absolutely miles in front of Robertson in terms of muscular composition. 

Edited by No_Problemo

Personally think Tierney is the better player out of both, Tierney is a better defender and just as good as Robertson when he bombs forward as wing back. If we play both then I'd think we either play Tierney @ Left Centre Back and Robertson at wing back, or we utilise them elsewhere on the park, ala Tierney at rightside. Genuinely think the team needs them both but also suffers a bit when both are playing ie Robertson has not had a good game when Tierney had played in that channel.
It's a difficult one but shouldn't be a complaint.

Arsenal picked Tierney at LCB as a first choice, ahead of other fit available centre backs.

Liverpool have had every CB and midfielder filling in at CB injured this year and they're picking academy players there ahead of Robertson.

57 minutes ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

That's impossible (for us) to quantify, and the eye test certainly doesn't match with your opinion.

This is quite a weird debate, but are you partially sighted....

Robertson is scrawny, have you ever seen the size of Tierney’s quads. 

F12E8F35-031B-4F36-B3BB-A4172CED6A6F.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

You're the one that brought it up m8. And I agree, it really is a fucking weird thing to try and debate something that you're unable to factually quantify.

Any hypothesis as to why the scrawny manlet Robertson has 56% a success rate in aerial duels per 90 mins compared to the 26% success rate of the man he is suposedly miles behind in muscular body composition?

I’m aware I did - was simply making light of the situation. 

I never met mentioned anything about aerial ability but there are sever factors involved in that. I was only talking about objectively one clearly being more muscular. Tbh, if you can look at both of them and not see that one is clearly more muscular then there isn’t much point debating it. 

1 hour ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

This you?

🤣

Yes.

This you? 

On 12/03/2021 at 18:47, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

Playing 100 games for a club like Hibs by the age of 21 is pretty impressive. It's a pretty good indicator that you're a promising player, and have a high likelyhood of representing Scotland at some point in your career. Many such cases. 

On the flipside, still playing for a club like St Johnstone at the age of 24 is very unimpressive. It's generally a pretty good indicator that you're a bit of a haddy, and that nobody connected with higher level clubs considers you a good enough player.

On 13/03/2021 at 02:57, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

That a player who's plying his trade for St Johnstone at 24 years old isn't good enough for Scotland? 

Point B. STILL* playing for St Johnstone at 24 is a good sign you're a complete haddock of a player

My argument against Kerr was that he is 24 and  hasn't played at a higher level than St Johnstone. 

I mean it’s not as if 2 of the back 5 used in the most recent internationals were 28 and 30 years old, currently play for Motherwell, and have never played at a higher level.

A club who have more often than not finished below St Johnstone and won less silverware over the last 6-7 seasons.

Otherwise, great point. 

Body analysis aside, I'm struggling to see any upside to having Robertson as a CH.  His strengths are almost all going forward.  

Tierney is really only at CH as a way to shoehorn him into the team somewhere, he's not particularly good at it either.  He has at least played there before at club level though.

Bite the bullet and pick one or the other if you ask me.  Rotate them if you like.

3 hours ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

The frame pish is just nonsense. See below.

Its not bonkers at all. Robertson needs players in and around him to be successful. Leaving him isolated to to plough a lonely furrow up the wing doesn't work, because his game isnt about taking players on directly like Tierney. And anyway Robertson is a better passer, uses his weak foot more frequently and is more comfortable coming inside, and slightly better from a technical ball control perspective, i.e manouvering the ball in tight spaces. I think it would actually be a benefit to have him bringing the ball out from the back instead of Tierney

Neither has anyone until they first play there. As I alluded to previously, Tierney was thrown in there at home to England having never played there before. He done fine. 

The physicality point is nonsense. Tierney and Robertson are the same height, and KT is certainly not stronger. He's built like a rake. You seriously trying to tell me there's any significant physical strength divide between these two people? Come off it

thumb_109886_default_news_size_5.jpeg

The stats show Robertson wins a SIGNIFICANTLY higher percentage of aerial duals  per 90 than Tierney. Before any of you claim that thats because Tierney has been targeted with long balls when he played at CB, this is only counting games played at LB

Capture.thumb.PNG.80e705290d0d106b8f1714ef02f1d74f.PNG

Surely that stat shows they've won exactly the same number?

Robertson has 'lost' fewer, whatever that means if you're not winning them.  Some sort of draw I suppose.

7 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

He has at least played there before at club level though.

This is surely the key point - Tierney has proven that he is capable of playing centre half. Robertson has not. If you’re going to shoehorn one of them in there, it’s the one who’s demonstrably able to play there.

2 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

This is surely the key point - Tierney has proven that he is capable of playing centre half. Robertson has not. If you’re going to shoehorn one of them in there, it’s the one who’s demonstrably able to play there.

The one with the bigger thighs is obviously the best bet.