Scotland squad face March 2021

Craigieboy86

I'm surprised that Clarke is looking at changing a winning formula, particularly when getting to the knockout stages in the summer is a case of beating the Czechs and grinding out a point in one of the other two games.

I also sincerely hope that he's not treating the upcoming matches as an experiment to figure out the best formation for the summer. They're very important fixtures in their own right because, whilst the Danes are the favourites for the group on paper, I don't think there's a huge gap in quality between the top three so it's not only vital that we don't slip up, but goal difference could also be crucial.

It's not a winning formula though, we lost our last 2 games in the Nations league against beatable opposition, failed to create many chances and ultimately didn't win the group.
Obviously not wanting to detract from the achievement of getting to the Euros but I want to get to the world cup too and we'll need a big improvement from the Slovakia and Israel games.

5 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

It's not a winning formula though, we lost our last 2 games in the Nations league against beatable opposition, failed to create many chances and ultimately didn't win the group.
Obviously not wanting to detract from the achievement of getting to the Euros but I want to get to the world cup too and we'll need a big improvement from the Slovakia and Israel games.

Obviously we lost those two games, so improvement is needed but we created more clear chances in both than you should need to win a game.   Slovakia we should really have won comfortably and Israel scored completely against the run of play.

I'm surprised that Clarke is looking at changing a winning formula, particularly when getting to the knockout stages in the summer is a case of beating the Czechs and grinding out a point in one of the other two games.

I also sincerely hope that he's not treating the upcoming matches as an experiment to figure out the best formation for the summer. They're very important fixtures in their own right because, whilst the Danes are the favourites for the group on paper, I don't think there's a huge gap in quality between the top three so it's not only vital that we don't slip up, but goal difference could also be crucial.
We really don't have a winning formula

2 hours ago, ilostmyself said:

True , but Dykes was suspended for the first of those games

We now also have CHE , fingers crossed

Think most of the squad is fair enough. I probably wouldn’t have bothered with McLaughlan, Considine and McBurnie but none of them are likely to play anyway. I hope. I don’t think SOD or Gallagher have been particularly good this season but they’ve more than earned their place based on last campaign. Palmer is playing in an absolutely shit team and isn’t even playing right back all the time (Transfermarkt has him only playing half Sheff Wed’s games there) but it’s obviously a problem position.

Replacements for the inevitable call offs could be interesting.

2 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

Has Robertson not struggled against Israel in recent games ?

Rest him , Tierney to LWB  and Considine / MacKenna to LCB

Yeah let's drop our best player and a Champions League winner for a big dumpling.

I genuinely don’t know what our best team is now, which can only be a good thing. 

Dykes up front with Adams, or Adams with two of Fraser, Armstrong, McGinn, Christie in behind. 

If McTominay pushes into midfield, who plays alongside him, Jack or McGregor. 

5 minutes ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

I'd like to play 

Hendry - Hanley - Robertson

O'Donnell - Jack - McTominay - Tierney

McGinn - Armstrong 

Adams

Tierney needs to be playing LWB. Whoever plays there is going to be pretty isolated at times, and with no wingers in the team is going to have to create their own openings down the flank. That suits Tierney perfectly, his role at Arsensm is about roasting the opposing full-back for pace on the outside and drilling crosses front post or cut backs into the penalty spot area. He is perfectly suited to that role. Robertson is not, and has honestly looked lost at times playing it. 

Robertson at left CH is a bold, some would say mental, call

Just now, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

I'd like to play 

Hendry - Hanley - Robertson

O'Donnell - Jack - McTominay - Tierney

McGinn - Armstrong 

Adams

Tierney needs to be playing LWB. Whoever plays there is going to be pretty isolated at times, and with no wingers in the team is going to have to create their own openings down the flank. That suits Tierney perfectly, his role at Arsensm is about roasting the opposing full-back for pace on the outside and drilling crosses front post or cut backs into the penalty spot area. He is perfectly suited to that role. Robertson is not, and has honestly looked lost at times playing it. 

Personally I'd play with a goal keeper also.

Just now, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

Yes it is small. Plenty of full-backs convert successfully to being able to play CB. Even more so playing at either side in a back 3. Without knowing the exact figures, I'd guess its the most common position change in football after winger to fullback. Examples off the top of my head: Alaba, Klostermann, Nordi Mukiele, Marcel Halstenburg, Eric Dier, Tierney, Lucas Hernandez, Kyle Walker, Ben Davies. 

Explain why its bonkers. Explain why it wasnt bonkers to play Tierney there against England at Hampden when he had never previously done so at Celtic. Explain why Tierney, and all those other players could do it, but Robertson couldn't. 

Because there different players with different attributes, both physically and technically.