Scotland squad face March 2021

Craigieboy86

3 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I can't recall ever seeing Adams play (I will be honest and admit that I didnt even know what he looked like until 5 minutes ago)  Is he actually good?  If so, I am pleased that Clarke has reached out as up front our choices are woeful at present. 

I really hope that omission will stir up Griffiths - surely now the league has gone he will get more opportunities - bang in 5 or 6 goals and he can make a decent claim for the Euros squad

He's ok, has at least scored and looked decent in a number of premier league games in a decent enough side. His main attribute really is not being Oli Burke or Oli McBurnie. 

Hard to know why Greg Taylor continues to get a call-up. If Robertson gets injured or is rested, Tierney goes to LWB surely and we bring in a different centre back? As happened in Slovakia.

Possibly planning to play him against the Faroes, but it seems like a bit of a waste of a squad spot.

Turnbull is about the only player you can say is a bit hard done to, but I don’t think Clarke would trust him in his sitting midfield two (McTominay/McGregor/Jack/McLean/Fleck already there) and we have McGinn/Armstrong/Christie fighting it out for the place behind the strikers. Such is life.

Avoids another Kazakhstan situation at the very least. I would be surprised if Robertson plays all three games so I think it’s worth having him in there, especially with Tierney’s injury history.

27 minutes ago, central staggie said:

Can someone inform me why Fleck is in that squad? Have I missed a rapid upturn in his form?

Can't really complain otherwise. 

Why wouldn't Fleck be in the squad? He's been in most squads recently and has generally been fine when he has played.

1 hour ago, Mean Gene said:

Are we just going to continue capping the likes of  Palmer, O’Donnell and Andy Considine despite already knowing they are crap and we have been lucky to get away with them so far? Am I missing something here?  The games after Serbia were a wake up call.

You are missing something. 

I don’t actually think he has played that well for Motherwell this season although he has been a lot better the last few games.
But in his defence people like u keeping stating he is shite, when he has actually turned in decent performances for Scotland last few games 🤔

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Why wouldn't Fleck be in the squad? He's been in most squads recently and has generally been fine when he has played.

Can see why he's there, but personally I'd like to see McGinn deeper playing in Jacks role (which Fleck is backup for), which lets us get two out of Armstrong, Christie, Fraser into the starting XI. 

24 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Posted in our thread pre announcement that the saints players shouldnt be there. 

Doesn't change the fact Jack is half the player that McGinn, Armstrong, McTominay and even Tom Cairney are. 

Neither McGinn or Armstrong play the same role as Jack, McTominay will be playing centre half and Tom Cairney has been injured since December, and is also pretty shite.

Jack has been, and will continue to be, one of Scotland’s most important players. We simply don’t have anyone else who does what he does as well as he does.

2 hours ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Posted in our thread pre announcement that the saints players shouldnt be there. 

Doesn't change the fact Jack is half the player that McGinn, Armstrong, McTominay and even Tom Cairney are. 

Do you think all CMs do the exact same job?

I wonder if he’s planning on trying out McTominay in midfield again. There’s an awful lot of centre halves in the squad if not.

I don’t see the harm in trying out Nisbet even if his purple patch at the start of the season has died down. We’re hardly blessed with options there. McBurnie being there ahead of both Griffiths and Shankland I’m less keen on though. In the Slovenia game the two of them looked far more dangerous in their cameo appearances after McBurnie spent the whole game shitting the bed.

2 hours ago, Zazu said:

Can see why he's there, but personally I'd like to see McGinn deeper playing in Jacks role (which Fleck is backup for), which lets us get two out of Armstrong, Christie, Fraser into the starting XI. 

Completely agree with this. 

I think our best options for the two holding midfield roles ar McTominay next to McGinn. McGinn has been playing there all season for Villa. It would give great protection and a good bit of quality there with drive and physique.

Also would allow you to call up either Gauld or Turnbull if McGinn not playing further forward.