Scotland squad face March 2021

Craigieboy86

6 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Would rather have Patterson over O'Donnell and Turnbull over Taylor. 

I'd have Patterson over both of the right backs and trust the kid not to make mistakes, but I can understand why Clarke wouldn't. It's different making that call when you're in charge.

Are we just going to continue capping the likes of  Palmer, O’Donnell and Andy Considine despite already knowing they are crap and we have been lucky to get away with them so far? Am I missing something here?  The games after Serbia were a wake up call.

Aside from the fact that we understandably want continuity and to reward the guys who got us there:

I would've thought third-choice 'keeper would've been an easy spot to just chuck in Kelly if he's doing well, but maybe McLaughlin's just a good lad (and he is a better goalkeeper tbf).

If McTominay and/or Tierney miss a game then I'd be very, very worried about their replacements, but with the exception of Cooper who's OK, that would've been the case whoever we picked as backup.

A younger backup to O'Donnell would have been nice but Clarke seems to trust Palmer. I'm happy with Taylor kicking around in a bigger squad.

Turnbull's form merits a call-up, especially if it's hoped he'll be big player for us within the next decade, but I get why he isn't there. That said, if you were to sacrifice a new player for him then I'd have called up Griffiths or Shankland instead of Nisbet and given Turnbull a spot.

I'm surprised at Hendry being in there but with Cooper out there aren't a whole load of options with us playing that back 3. Hopefully he does well if he gets any game time but I'm fully expecting him to re-enact the below against the Faroes.

tenor.gif

Nisbet over Shankland seems like a decision that was made 3 months ago.

16 minutes ago, Paco said:

Turnbull is about the only player you can say is a bit hard done to, but I don’t think Clarke would trust him in his sitting midfield two (McTominay/McGregor/Jack/McLean/Fleck already there) and we have McGinn/Armstrong/Christie fighting it out for the place behind the strikers. Such is life.

Assuming we continue with Fraser up with Adams/Dykes, Armstrong and Christie are cover for Fraser as well as McGinn so I think you could justify Turnbull ahead of Fleck for another option for those two positions. It's splitting hairs though, either way you're talking about a fourth choice option at best who won't be starting and won't be the first choice to come off the bench.

Assuming we continue with Fraser up with Adams/Dykes, Armstrong and Christie are cover for Fraser as well as McGinn so I think you could justify Turnbull ahead of Fleck for another option for those two positions. It's splitting hairs though, either way you're talking about a fourth choice option at best who won't be starting and won't be the first choice to come off the bench.
For me, Fleck hasn't done anything to merit a place in this squad

This goes for most of the debates tbh, other than maybe backup RWB. Turnbull, Shankland, Kelly, Kerr, Rhodes, Feruz would have got about 30 minutes combined over the three games.

Gallagher/Hanley and two of Adams/Dykes/Christie/Fraser are the big decisions for the Austria game. Right now I'd opt for Gallagher and Adams+Dykes.

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
11 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Yeah, when the squad's being cut down to 23 for the summer you'd imagine he's the first to go.

He's a good player, better than McLean, and I feel suits playing in our side. Good drive, good set-pieces, decent passer and will link well with the LWB.

17 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

There's a few big Swedes. Who are you referring to?

15 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Ibrahimovic. It was announced a few weeks back he would be returning.

Aww. I was getting excited about a potential Thomas Brolin return.

Fleck and McLean are the backups to Jack and McGregor. Given the absence of other options at CM (McTominay isn't playing there, McGinn plays one further forward) I think they're locks to go to the Euros.

26 in that squad right? If you're cutting it to 23, then the three most obvious candidates to get cut are:

1 of Adams/Dykes/McBurnie (will likely be McBurnie)

1 of Considine/Hendry/Hanley (likely Hendry)

1 of Christie/Fraser/Nisbet (almost certainly Nisbet)

2 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Marshall

Henry Gallagher Tierney 

O'Donnell                Robertson 

Jack              McTominay 

Fraser

Adams

Best line up out the squad? 

Controversially, I would add John McGinn and play with 11. I'd also have every other centre back in the squad ahead of Hendry.

This goes for most of the debates tbh, other than maybe backup RWB. Turnbull, Shankland, Kelly, Kerr, Rhodes, Feruz would have got about 30 minutes combined over the three games.

Gallagher/Hanley and two of Adams/Dykes/Christie/Fraser are the big decisions for the Austria game. Right now I'd opt for Gallagher and Adams+Dykes.
Feruz [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]