Favourite Scotland games last 50 years?

The very one! That was some German team. Although, that never changes with them!
Was at the game too - lovely sunny Saturday 3pm kickoff [emoji4][emoji106]

Weirdly though, I recall that Germany team being one of their poorer sides - still trying to sort themselves out following the 5-1 humbling by England in 2001.

Still, it was Germany, thus a superb result for us.

The whole 2008 qualifying campaign sticks in the memory as there was a great buzz around every home game.

Would echo what others have said about the Ukraine and Lithuania games, after the Berti era it was great to have some solid, exciting home wins. Despite being in the SSC I somehow missed the deadline to apply for my ticket for the Ukraine game and public demand was huge, ended up getting one for the very back row in the East Stand and even from that far back I still remember it having a cracking atmosphere.

The France game was obviously special and getting the win was incredible. On a personal level it was the first time I'd seen us win a really big game against one of the best teams in the world and it was also great to be there with my dad.

The Italy game, despite the outcome, was something else. That was huge. The constant noise throughout, I'd never heard Hampden that loud and constant before and Scotland really went for it, we were probably more attacking in that game than the France game and I remember Allan Hutton being an absolute beast up the right hand side. That has to be the best game for me. I know Hampden can be crap but that game, and indeed whole campaign, showed that the atmosphere can be great.

46 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Was at the game too - lovely sunny Saturday 3pm kickoff emoji4.pngemoji106.png

Weirdly though, I recall that Germany team being one of their poorer sides - still trying to sort themselves out following the 5-1 humbling by England in 2001.

Still, it was Germany, thus a superb result for us.

Just googled the squads that day, Germanys squad is actually not as good as I remembered it to be. It wasn’t full of world class names like it is today.

I do remember Bobic and Klose being up top and Ramelow of Bayer Leverkusen in the middle of the park. He was a player. And a young Michael Ballack being alongside Ramelow in midfield. 

considering our squad that day a point was still a very good result!

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

36 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

The whole 2008 qualifying campaign sticks in the memory as there was a great buzz around every home game.

Would echo what others have said about the Ukraine and Lithuania games, after the Berti era it was great to have some solid, exciting home wins. Despite being in the SSC I somehow missed the deadline to apply for my ticket for the Ukraine game and public demand was huge, ended up getting one for the very back row in the East Stand and even from that far back I still remember it having a cracking atmosphere.

The France game was obviously special and getting the win was incredible. On a personal level it was the first time I'd seen us win a really big game against one of the best teams in the world and it was also great to be there with my dad.

The Italy game, despite the outcome, was something else. That was huge. The constant noise throughout, I'd never heard Hampden that loud and constant before and Scotland really went for it, we were probably more attacking in that game than the France game and I remember Allan Hutton being an absolute beast up the right hand side. That has to be the best game for me. I know Hampden can be crap but that game, and indeed whole campaign, showed that the atmosphere can be great.

I think the criticism of the atmosphere at Hampden is a little bit harsh. Maybe that’s down to the era I started going to games with my dad. The first I remember is losing 2-0 against England to two very similar Paul Scholes goals. Other than the ones I’ve mentioned, that game had a good atmosphere, the 2-2 game vs Belgium in the early 2000s was also a good one. The 2-2 game vs Poland a few years ago was also class, especially when the goals flew in.

There has been a few shiters, though. I remember a midweek 0-0 snoozefest vs Slovenia having next to no atmosphere whatsoever. That and a 1-0 loss at home to a rotten Belarus side. Admittedly, I haven’t been to Hampden since the Poland game so I can’t judge more recent matches. The atmosphere has been terrible during covid times right enough...

I was in the Caley Club for all the home games of the euro 2008 qualifying campaign.  The Ukraine game was chaos. And I think I was spewing before half time.

On 27/03/2021 at 02:08, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

Germany game was Euro 2004 qualifying. Remember it well, was my first Scotland game IIRC. Fredi Bobic with the goal for the Germans. 

First Scotland game too. 

Pre-drought era : Greece 1-0 at Hampden, my first Scotland game and the 2-0 Latvia game to qualify for France 98.

Drought era : France away 2007, just a beautiful experience especially the March to the game, and I think we were actually more comfortable than in the home game. Had booked to go and live in NZ for a year leaving the following month and was convinced I was going to have to decide whether to come back early or miss us at a major championship. Obviously didn't work out that way. 

On 26/03/2021 at 07:24, Eednud said:

26 September 1973 Jim Holton with a headed equalizer a few minutes before half time against Czechsolovakia then Joe Jordan a great headed goal from Joe Jordan with 15 minutes to go and we’re off to the 1974 World Cup.

This. I was there that night , just a wee boy with my dad, brother and uncles. In the old Rangers end. My feet never touched the ground all night. Magical night which still brings the tears to my eyes.

The one that sticks in my mind was the 1989 2-0 win against France in qualifying for Italia 90. Everyone remembers Maurice Johnston scoring twice but the hero of the night was Jim Leighton. France could have won 5-2 if it wasn’t for his saves that night. And it pished rain for the whole 90 minutes

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

The Norway game was thrilling just for the unexpected nature and speed of the turnaround added to the importance of the fixture against a direct rival. 

I'd add to that the brilliance of the winning goal. Liquid football, as it were.

I think my favourite game I've ever been at was the 2-0 win over Austria in WC98 qualifying. Maybe not an obvious choice, but it was my first Scotland game for a number of years and my first trip to the refurbished Celtic Park, Scotland were fabulous - the scoreline doesn't begin to reflect how dominant we were - the atmosphere was electric, and Kevin Gallacher scored one of the all-time great Scotland goals.

The Serbia game though. The weight of so many years of failure and so many individual crushing disappointments lifted. I'm not ashamed to admit that, after I'd pogoed about the flat screaming incoherently for a minute or so, I cried a wee bit.

5 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Scotland 1-1 W Germany 1969 ish

Scotland 2-1 Czechoslovakia 1973

England 1-2 Scotland 1977

Scotland 2-1 Sweden 1990 Genoa

PS read the questions as favourite game you were at...

...in the last 54 years.