Favourite Scotland games last 50 years?

23 hours ago, BFTD said:

I mind the Swedes being absolutely fizzing after that game!  Sorry boys, but you have to actually score the most goals to win matches.

They were all over us in the second game and easily led 2-0 going into the final ten minutes. We suddenly came alive, got a goal back, and pushed hard for an equalizer...it might have been taking the piss a little if we'd managed it  :P

We should have had a penalty in the away game

Kevin Gallagher was barged in the back

Edited by ewan14

5 hours ago, ewan14 said:

I remember an article in " The Scotsman " about how impressive  the attendance at the Faroes game was , in comparison with other qualifying games that day eg the French

(  ####  Badiel and Skinner. )

Always manage a decent turnout, irrespective of opponents or weather!

• 1 month later...

The 1986 qualifier win v Spain and the 1990 qualifier win v France were great. 

One that sticks out is the 2-2 draw away to Switzerland in the 1992 Euro qualifiers.  We had to take something in the match and got an absolute mauling in the first half with Switzerland going 2-0 up in the first half.

Second half we scored early and then late on scored to scupper the Swiss.  The equaliser was perfect.  Swiss keeper saved a long shot and then it was between the keeper and Ally McCoist to get the rebound.  Really slow mo end of the chair stuff.  McCoist won the race, banged it in and that was that.

Was especially funny as Uli Stielike, the Swiss manager, was raging at Scotland after the first match that we won 2-1 (dodgy penalty and an offside goal and Kubilay Turkyilmaz missing a total sitter in the last minute).  He was making all sort of noises before the match so to get it right up him from 0-2 down was hilarious.

8 hours ago, buchan30 said:

France 1-0 at hampden.
Lithuania 3-1 as well on the Saturday before the result in paris. Great atmosphere, great day out and that kenny daglish-esque goal from faddy for the 3rd.

We're all the games at Hampden not on a Saturday with a couple of later kick offs? Buzzing

26 September 1973 Jim Holton with a headed equalizer a few minutes before half time against Czechsolovakia then Joe Jordan a great headed goal from Joe Jordan with 15 minutes to go and we’re off to the 1974 World Cup.

11 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

Yeah. The france and italy games were 5pm kick offs,? The rest were 3pm.

The Italy game was definitely a tea time kick off.  Think the France game may have been a 7.45.

10 hours ago, Eednud said:

26 September 1973 Jim Holton with a headed equalizer a few minutes before half time against Czechsolovakia then Joe Jordan a great headed goal from Joe Jordan with 15 minutes to go and we’re off to the 1974 World Cup.

That's the one without a doubt....from "disaster for Scotland" to hysterical triumph in one evening .

Edited by kennie makevin

I definitely came out of the ground bouncing after the Ukraine game. We were fantastic in the second half and played with a real swagger. I recall Broonie and Faddy epitomising this. 

Buuuut, my favourite game was the Italy home game in 2007 because I'm a fuckin masochist. The whole emotional build up to that game was incredible. The swashbuckling attacks and the constant noise. It was an absolutely cracking game and had a truly heartbreaking ending. At the end of the game I remember feeling utterly distraught, but with a bubbling of hope that if we could come so close in a true group of death, then we could surely overcome an easier qualifying group as 2nd seeds...........

It's easily the most courageous Scotland performance I've ever seen.

I definitely came out of the ground bouncing after the Ukraine game. We were fantastic in the second half and played with a real swagger. I recall Broonie and Faddy epitomising this. 
Buuuut, my favourite game was the Italy home game in 2007 because I'm a fuckin masochist. The whole emotional build up to that game was incredible. The swashbuckling attacks and the constant noise. It was an absolutely cracking game and had a truly heartbreaking ending. At the end of the game I remember feeling utterly distraught, but with a bubbling of hope that if we could come so close in a true group of death, then we could surely overcome an easier qualifying group as 2nd seeds...........
I remember staggering home in a stupor of depression after that. But the build up was as big as anything I've experienced with the national team.

I remember staggering home in a stupor of depression after that. But the build up was as big as anything I've experienced with the national team.

I missed the ukraine game due to the oldest being born. Everytime my phone went and when i watched the highlights, i was gutted that i had missed that atmosphere.

I remember the italy game, i could actually feel hampden moving underneath my feet when they were playing insomnia.

On 25/03/2021 at 22:00, Ya Bezzer! said:

The 1986 qualifier win v Spain and the 1990 qualifier win v France were great. 

One that sticks out is the 2-2 draw away to Switzerland in the 1992 Euro qualifiers.  We had to take something in the match and got an absolute mauling in the first half with Switzerland going 2-0 up in the first half.

Second half we scored early and then late on scored to scupper the Swiss.  The equaliser was perfect.  Swiss keeper saved a long shot and then it was between the keeper and Ally McCoist to get the rebound.  Really slow mo end of the chair stuff.  McCoist won the race, banged it in and that was that.

Was especially funny as Uli Stielike, the Swiss manager, was raging at Scotland after the first match that we won 2-1 (dodgy penalty and an offside goal and Kubilay Turkyilmaz missing a total sitter in the last minute).  He was making all sort of noises before the match so to get it right up him from 0-2 down was hilarious.

Could have written that word for word on the Swiss game. Slept in an underground shopping centre after the game.

1. Wembley 77 - first trip - mental

2. Czechoslovakia '73 - tremendous team and performance

3. Switzerland as above.

Worst - Costa Rica - didn't think even we could screw that up, but yep we did.

I wonder how much prep was done on Costa Rica; they turned the Swedes over too, and didn't do any worse than anyone else against Brazil.

You'd like to think we weren't quite so arrogant by 1990, but...  :shutup

The games where we beat France and Holland 1-0 at Hampden are by far my favourite. The atmosphere and celebrations when both goals went in has never been matched since at any game I’ve been too (that’s mostly because I support Clyde right enough...)

another good one was drawing 1-1 at home to Germany, can’t remember what year but Kenny Miller scored the equaliser.

All three opposition teams were absolutely outstanding and oozing with class.