Favourite Scotland games last 50 years?

For anyone looking to debate us we podcasted on our favourite Scotland games of the last 50 years, over two episodes. This is the first episode. We go from England game in 76 (our English "friend" gets short shrift when he mentions the 75 game...) to the recent Serbia game. Plus one of the Bullpen Bros recounts his time in the old Hampden Press Box, not for the faint hearted! Also including Russia 1994 and a couple of World Cup Qualifiers against the Welsh! We're Scottish football fans normally podcasting on baseball but deciding to use our years of football experience to broaden the entertainment. "The Highland Bullpen" is available on most podcast hosts https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-shm6c-f8ba7a.

Just now, Highland Bullpen said:

For anyone looking to debate us we podcasted on our favourite Scotland games of the last 50 years, over two episodes. This is the first episode. We go from England game in 76 (our English "friend" gets short shrift when he mentions the 75 game...) to the recent Serbia game. Plus one of the Bullpen Bros recounts his time in the old Hampden Press Box, not for the faint hearted! Also including Russia 1994 and a couple of World Cup Qualifiers against the Welsh! We're Scottish football fans normally podcasting on baseball but deciding to use our years of football experience to broaden the entertainment. "The Highland Bullpen" is available on most podcast hosts https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-shm6c-f8ba7a.

Suppose it depends on your age, i wasn't born in 76 so don't have an opinion on that.

So for me, definitely the serbia game. Just will all the history of failed qualifications. It was like a massive release of pressure.

Off the top of my head, the 6-0 win against the Faeroes. We'd just come off that awful 2006 World Cup campaign and had an impossible qualifying group for the Euros that meant we were screwed before kicking a ball. But then, in a glorious sunny day at Hampden, we strolled a match for once and were 5-0 up by half time. Suddenly everything seemed possible; maybe even back-to-back wins against France.

My least favourite game was the 0-0 game against Austria that opened the qualifiers for World Cup 98, purely because I was stuck in England listening to the BBC commentary on the radio, and the commentators couldn't be arsed even saying what was happening on the pitch. Also the game in which I realised Duncan Disorderly was never going to score for Scotland, and it wasn't long after that he threw his big tantrum and quit.

In recent times the 1-0 last minute win against Slovakia is up there. We played really well, missed some big chances and it looked like it wasn't going to be our night.
Anya bombed up the wing, fired in a low cross and Skrtel, under pressure from big Chris Martin, bundled it in. Hampden erupted and the atmosphere after the final whistle was unbelievable. It's the hope that kills you.

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Jim Leighton's performance in the win over Sweden in the 98 qualifiers would be up there

I mind the Swedes being absolutely fizzing after that game!  Sorry boys, but you have to actually score the most goals to win matches.

They were all over us in the second game and easily led 2-0 going into the final ten minutes. We suddenly came alive, got a goal back, and pushed hard for an equalizer...it might have been taking the piss a little if we'd managed it  :P

17 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Suppose it depends on your age, i wasn't born in 76 so don't have an opinion on that.

So for me, definitely the serbia game. Just will all the history of failed qualifications. It was like a massive release of pressure.

Yep, an "old" guy like me (that's what my mates call me) was surprised how popular this one is proving! Cheers

13 hours ago, BFTD said:

Off the top of my head, the 6-0 win against the Faeroes. We'd just come off that awful 2006 World Cup campaign and had an impossible qualifying group for the Euros that meant we were screwed before kicking a ball. But then, in a glorious sunny day at Hampden, we strolled a match for once and were 5-0 up by half time. Suddenly everything seemed possible; maybe even back-to-back wins against France.

My least favourite game was the 0-0 game against Austria that opened the qualifiers for World Cup 98, purely because I was stuck in England listening to the BBC commentary on the radio, and the commentators couldn't be arsed even saying what was happening on the pitch. Also the game in which I realised Duncan Disorderly was never going to score for Scotland, and it wasn't long after that he threw his big tantrum and quit.

Any big win is enjoyable! In the 2nd episode one of the lads talks about his sons first game versus Gibraltar and he couldn't believe Scotland could score six goals!

13 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Jim Leighton's performance in the win over Sweden in the 98 qualifiers would be up there

Quality keeper, we mentioned the 85 game versus wales where he had to be substituted because he didn't have spare contact lens! Probably a unique situation!

13 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

My first trip to Hampden in 1989 for the final qualifier against Norway. I'd never heard a noise like it when McCoist scored. 64,000 on the old terraces. The bottom of jeans smelled of piss afterwards. Halcyon days.

I've too many memories of piss streaming down terraces from the 70s and 80s. It's hard to take in when you go to games (well if you could) these days.

11 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:

In recent times the 1-0 last minute win against Slovakia is up there. We played really well, missed some big chances and it looked like it wasn't going to be our night.
Anya bombed up the wing, fired in a low cross and Skrtel, under pressure from big Chris Martin, bundled it in. Hampden erupted and the atmosphere after the final whistle was unbelievable. It's the hope that kills you.

Let's see what the summer brings! At this stage we hope it'll happen, we hope some of us might be there, so perhaps the low key football build up might help?

11 hours ago, BFTD said:

I mind the Swedes being absolutely fizzing after that game!  Sorry boys, but you have to actually score the most goals to win matches.

They were all over us in the second game and easily led 2-0 going into the final ten minutes. We suddenly came alive, got a goal back, and pushed hard for an equalizer...it might have been taking the piss a little if we'd managed it  :P

One of my favourite quotes is that people forget defensive players and abilities is also part of the game. The attacking teams need to find a way to beat the defence...

9 hours ago, Highland Bullpen said:

That was some line up for the Scotland team that day! Top quality in every position.

Back then one of the main talking points was whether McStay or Strachan should play on the right side of midfield. 

Memories !

22 hours ago, BFTD said:

I remember an article in " The Scotsman " about how impressive  the attendance at the Faroes game was , in comparison with other qualifying games that day eg the French

(  ####  Badiel and Skinner. )