Samples

Shandon Par

Danny Robbins, who wrote this sketch...

was in a record shop one day and heard this, and promptly went after Deekline for royalties. Got 50%. He was excited by inadvertently having a number 11 “hit” and asked Deekline if he could go on Top of the Pops with him (and was told where to go).

Bob James seems to get sampled a lot.

This is a good example of someone taking a wee snippet, manipulating it, and building it into something very different, as opposed to just taking the original tune and adding a techno beat/rapping over the top.

12 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

This one surprised me when I first heard it on Better Call Saul.  (fast forward to 2:05 if you can't be arsed waiting).

Do you know who actually played the guitar on it?

Spoiler

It was Chas Hodges, of Chas and Dave fame. Seriously.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Do you know who actually played the guitar on it?

Hide contents

It was Chas Hodges, of Chas and Dave fame. Seriously.

Indeed, that's a popular pub quiz nugget. Almost as popular as the fact that Bob Holness played the saxophone on Baker Street. ;)

24 minutes ago, BFTD said:

That Labi Siffre song is tremendous, BTW. I'd never heard it before.

Chas & Dave were quality too. There, I said it.

Chas & Dave were absolutely brilliant. Happy I got to see them live in Glasgow a couple of times before Chas became brown bread. 

14 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

This one surprised me when I first heard it on Better Call Saul.  (fast forward to 2:05 if you can't be arsed waiting).

I love ones like this, where I had no idea the sample was actually a sample and it creeps up on you mid-song.

Similarly:

At 2:20ish

On 18/02/2021 at 00:13, Shandön Par said:

Danny Robbins, who wrote this sketch...

was in a record shop one day and heard this, and promptly went after Deekline for royalties. Got 50%. He was excited by inadvertently having a number 11 “hit” and asked Deekline if he could go on Top of the Pops with him (and was told where to go).

Got that on vinyl, decent tune

16137586035993262806028631505255.jpg

Weirdly enough I heard a couple of songs this week and went digging to find out where the sample was from.

samples

Samples

also by the KLF

samples

* I'll gloss over the use of a Gary Glitter track in that one though!

samples

samples

That's all for now :thumsup2

Edited by greendot

On 15/02/2021 at 14:12, BFTD said:

There's a worrying lack of respect or gratitude from some of the folk who, let's be honest, wouldn't have a song without the original work

Completely agree. I'm a sound engineer by trade, moved to Philadelphia after college and worked/interned in a mixture of studios, big and small.

In one of the smaller studios I was engineering for a producer who made tunes to sell off to rappers or vocal groups - fairly successfully as well I should add.

One day, I was going through sounds on a Korg Triton with a couple of his crew, we were using the demo button that plays you a wee sample so you can hear the sounds in context. 3 or 4 times the guys stopped and insisted I "just use that" and they didn't mean the sound, they meant the whole sample, that literally every other owner of a Korg synth would have. There was no shame, and no desire to create their own loops.

There was also a fairly big (at the time) UK Garage tune going about the top of the charts for a while who's main melody was a direct rip from a demo button on a sampler. Cant remember exactly who or which sampler, someone like Artful Dodger or So Solid Crew likely using one of the Akais or the Emu Proteus.

6 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

Completely agree. I'm a sound engineer by trade, moved to Philadelphia after college and worked/interned in a mixture of studios, big and small.

In one of the smaller studios I was engineering for a producer who made tunes to sell off to rappers or vocal groups - fairly successfully as well I should add.

One day, I was going through sounds on a Korg Triton with a couple of his crew, we were using the demo button that plays you a wee sample so you can hear the sounds in context. 3 or 4 times the guys stopped and insisted I "just use that" and they didn't mean the sound, they meant the whole sample, that literally every other owner of a Korg synth would have. There was no shame, and no desire to create their own loops.

There was also a fairly big (at the time) UK Garage tune going about the top of the charts for a while who's main melody was a direct rip from a demo button on a sampler. Cant remember exactly who or which sampler, someone like Artful Dodger or So Solid Crew likely using one of the Akais or the Emu Proteus.

That's pretty grim.

I might just be an old fanny, but I'd want people to know about the things I'd built my work on, so they could hear and appreciate it for themselves. In fact, that's pretty normal, isn't it? Authors and filmmakers talk a lot about the works that they read/watched that inspired them, and most musicians like to tell their fans about what they listened to when they were young, if for no other reason than to bring some attention and money to people that were important to them personally.

Not to do that, and to implicitly take credit for things they didn't make, betrays a lack of confidence in their own ability IMO.