Samples

Shandon Par

Armand Van Helden - You Don’t Know Me

samples Carrie Lucas at 1.53

Dr Dre - Nuthin but a G Thing

(If you watch Straight Outta Compton’ Dre sits down at the keyboard and “creates” this bit of music that was released 15 years earlier:

Okay, that’s two, not 5, but I’ve got W pile of ironing to do!

The Amen Break

It's absolutely astonishing how many songs this has been sampled in - literally thousands across all genres. The drummer who originally played it died homeless and without a pot to piss in, having never received a penny in royalties. His former bandmates think he never even realised his work had made such a huge impact on popular music.

14 hours ago, Shandön Par said:

(If you watch Straight Outta Compton’ Dre sits down at the keyboard and “creates” this bit of music that was released 15 years earlier

Sat open mouthed at that part of the film. Dre's a good producer who had a massive influence in pushing the G funk sound, but the secret sauce is the tracks he's sampling.

No better example than this - 

Any time I'm feeling guilty about making music too sample heavy I remember Ice Cube spat over this virtually as is and just changed the name :lol: 

There's a worrying lack of respect or gratitude from some of the folk who, let's be honest, wouldn't have a song without the original work. Here's a quote from Timbaland about the author of a chiptune he used for one of his songs without credit or recompense:

"It makes me laugh. The part I don't understand, the dude is trying to act like I went to his house and took it from his computer. I don't know him from a can of paint. I'm 15 years deep. That's how you attack a king? You attack moi? Come on, man. You got to come correct. You the laughing stock. People are like, 'You can't be serious.'"

What an absolute walloper.

Presumably folk are aware of https://www.whosampled.com/ ? Endless hours of musical discovery await any first timers.

Though I reckon my favourite samples are the ones I've found/noticed myself. I usually end up sitting there with my hands on my head trying to rack my brain as to where I know it from. 

-->

ETA: It would take me hours to compile a top 5 so this'll have to do, sorry!

Edited by RawB93

2 hours ago, RawB93 said:

Sat open mouthed at that part of the film. Dre's a good producer who had a massive influence in pushing the G funk sound, but the secret sauce is the tracks he's sampling.

No better example than this - 

Any time I'm feeling guilty about making music too sample heavy I remember Ice Cube spat over this virtually as is and just changed the name :lol: 

Gz and Hustlas, but about a funfair

Not quite a sample, but Tim Simenon quite cheerfully nicked John Carpenter's score for Assault on Precinct 13.

I'm basically just posting this as an excuse to listen to Bomb the Bass and a John Carpenter score again.