Dundee FC vs Queen of the South (20/02/21)

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Posted this in the Dundee thread, but posting it here to in case any QoS fans care. It's a transcript of McPake's post-match interview I mocked up:

'I'm angry, frustrated, probably like every Dundee fan right now but we lost that game in the first half. It's as poor a 45 minutes as I've been in charge. Really worrying. It takes to the half time break to get even a bit of a reaction. Disappointed, really poor. I'm not bothered about the improvement in the second half, because it shouldn't take that. Look, you can lose goals early in games, you can take blows, but it looked like that blow hit them and they couldn't get going. The basics, we couldn't get the basics right. It wasn't a case of not trying or not putting in the effort, they just couldn't do the basics of football.'

He's then asked can we take positives from Cummings scoring and getting minutes:

'It's too raw. I'm hurting. I'm not looking for positives at the minute. I thought Jason overall was decent but you can see he needs games. He's about the only one I can pick (as having a decent game).'

He's then asked about the disallowed goal:

'Yes, it was a goal, but I'll not use that to take any pressure off me or the players. Normally, you find you get what you deserve. I watched it back, it's a goal (he then breaks the goal down). But you've got to realise, the referee has to make that call in real time. Just like the penalty, is it a penalty? Well, we've gave the ref a decision to make and that comes from our sloppiness. Really, really poor and as poor as we've been. I won't use rustiness as an excuse for us. Just like if we'd have won, people would come out and say QoS were tired having played ICT midweek, they weren't tired, they looked like they wanted to win.'

Asked about how we react:

'It's a test of character. That's one thing it certainly is. Can they come out the traps? Can they handle playing for this team? I've got to take a lot of this as well. I pick the team. I put the players on the pitch. We need to be better as a group. At the end of the game, we looked more dangerous and created chance after chance but that's another negative because you've got to be ruthless at this level. Tuesday night, we need to put it right. Can we stand up? Can we battle? Today we couldn't.'

Finally, he's asked how are the players feeling:

'They should be feeling that they need to make amends. As a group, we need to make amends and that starts tomorrow morning.'

Yeah, it's reasonably fair. Other than that for me it's a stick on penalty. He doesn't say it's not but he leaves the suggestion hanging there that it's debatable. I've not seen the highlights again other than the goals but at the time it looked like the disallowed goal should have stood and we seriously dodged a bullet there. I thought we dominated the opening half hour without making a lot of actual chances. Dundee didn't hurt us in that spell at all. Ironically they were starting to get on top just before Breen got the 2nd.

2 minutes ago, JK_Queens said:

I don’t think pictures are 100 per cent conclusive for something like this generally, but this for me looks like it was potentially the right decision to disallow the goal. 

EDBAF29D-5F1D-46F8-8A24-86C12E87DCDE.png

Do we even know for certain it was disallowed for the challenge on Ferguson? Our Twitter suggested it was for a foul on Breen. Anyone got the actual footage?

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Do we even know for certain it was disallowed for the challenge on Ferguson? Our Twitter suggested it was for a foul on Breen. Anyone got the actual footage?

File is too big to upload as a video so I've tried to trim it into a gif.

Disallowed Goal.gif

25 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Disallowed Goal.gif

14 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Mullen doesn't touch the ball or the keeper, the ball just slips out.

I agree, it's never a foul on the keeper. If that's what it was given for it's ludicrous. However, although the footage is a bit small, it looks like as the ref comes into picture at the end he's not already given anything and the ball is already away from Ferguson. I think he does give a foul on Breen. I can't tell from that footage whether or not it was one. He ends up on the turf and nursing his leg so I don't know if Sow or Mullen kicked through him to get at the ball? Sow looks the more likely.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

265165141_DisallowedGoal.gif.e8effadd25351b8ce2771062645539de.gif
Still seeing very little wrong there. Ferguson spills it so there is nothing wrong from that side. Mullen doesn't touch Breen at all. His feet don't move and his arms are by side. Sow's feet only go near Breen after he's on the way down. The only possibility of a foul I see there (and it's not a conclusive angle) is Sow's right arm nudging Breen in the back.

15 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Disallowed Goal.gif

Watching it live I never thought that there was a foul on the keeper.  At the time I thought that Breen might have been clattered in the stramash (given his reaction) and that was what the ref must have given - but my eyes ain't great and I'm no clearer watching the video now.

On a different note the most bizarre thing about that clip is that I know for an absolute fact Rohan Ferguson was wearing an all orange kit on Saturday. Am I the only one that sees a keeper in a pink kit ?

It's like the whole David Marshall in Croatia thing all over again. How does that become a completely different colour on a film camera? The outfield kit looks exactly the same.

28 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

On a different note the most bizarre thing about that clip is that I know for an absolute fact Rohan Ferguson was wearing an all orange kit on Saturday. Am I the only one that sees a keeper in a pink kit ?

It's like the whole David Marshall in Croatia thing all over again. How does that become a completely different colour on a film camera? The outfield kit looks exactly the same.

There's a technical explanation for that ...... and I don't know the technical explanation .... 😕

19 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The kit doesn’t look orange or pink to me but 100% red.