Dundee FC vs Queen of the South (20/02/21)

Incredible. Seriously, what a run of results. It keeps getting brought up we have 4/5 first team players out but for me they aren't getting close the first team when they're back. The fringe players have stepped up and have given us our best run all season. For me only Shields gets into that first time right now.

We played well at times, Dundee were awful in parts and we rode our luck a lot but overall a very good performance and I'd say a deserved win (though if Dundee equalised at the death I couldn't grudge them).

Gibson was everywhere in the first half, sometimes out of position but overall I thought he was MoM, his goal topping it off. A signing laughed by almost all the other supporters in the division and yet he's probably going to pick up our PotY if Shields is out much longer. Ferguson made a hash of the goal but I thought he looked more confident coming for crosses today.

Up to 4th ([emoji38]) but more importantly, that's a 9 point gap between us and bottom the now.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It keeps getting brought up we have 4/5 first team players out but for me they aren't getting close the first team when they're back. The fringe players have stepped up and have given us our best run all season. For me only Shields gets into that first time right now.

^^^^^ This - couldn't agree more 19QOS19. 👍

Dundee fans may not believe this but I thought you were better than Hearts or ICT. We rode our luck but we conceded 2 sloppy goals - how did Marshall get a free header for his goal?

We cannot hope to concede that much possession and win every week, but delighted with the win. Nerves shredded, again.

2 minutes ago, QOSQOS said:

Dundee fans may not believe this but I thought you were better than Hearts or ICT. We rode our luck but we conceded 2 sloppy goals - how did Marshall get a free header for his goal?

We cannot hope to concede that much possession and win every week, but delighted with the win. Nerves shredded, again.

They won’t respond for a few days, will take them a while to figure out how to compose an email. 

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Up to 4th (emoji38.png) but more importantly, that's a 9 point gap between us and bottom the now.

The table has a funny look, with such uneven numbers of games played by the clubs.

Our position in relation to bottom is better than, until very recently, seemed conceivable.

The relegation play-off spot is available for loads of sides though, very much including ours.  I'm looking forward to when sides have played similar numbers of games, to get a better picture.  They can't all win their games in hand, but similarly, they can't all lose them either.

Enjoyed that a lot! It was a real slobberknocker that could have gone either way and Dundee will probably have been disappointed not to have taken a point, but if you defend like chumps and have someone like Danny Mullen missing two chances in five minutes from one yard out, you're always going to be onto a loser. (While we're on the subject of bad defending, I don't think I've ever seen someone as slow to clear a ball off the line as Gregor Buchanan was for Jason Cummings' goal!)

It is also my sincere belief that Wullie Gibson is the best player in the country outside of the Premiership. His raids down the right, his touch and his movement, as well as his doggedness in defending, has really marked him out over the past two months. His goal was supremely well-taken too, although Dundee might wanted to have tried closing him down at some point during his 50-yard run with the ball. Shouts to Rohan Ferguson too who looked confident and assured over the match.

It's hard to believe that Queens were in such a bad state heading into Christmas, on and off the park (did anyone get round to explaining what George Galloway was up to?), but they've been very good ever since. Fair play to them!

Agree with this. They left more gaps at the back than Hearts and ICT but I can honestly say today is the first time in the last 3 games where I was genuinely concerned we were going to concede late on. I'm aware Hearts did and Dundee never but it was out of stupidity on our part.

On the positive side, McMullan looks like a good signing, adds a different dimension to Dundee's attack. Early days yet for Cummings but he showed a good bit of composure up front, hopefully he builds on his goal and becomes the main attacking threat.

Now the negatives...

There are lots of stupid penalties being given away in this league and it is incredibly frustrating to see Dundee also falling for the trap. Ashcroft was a complete idiot for that foul and gave Dundee a mountain to climb right from the get go. The first team to instil a bit of discipline in their defenders will be at a huge advantage this season.

A change was needed at half time and McPake's solution was to bring on Mullen who proceeded to miss two sitters and ruin several Dundee attacks with wayward passes. Terrible decision to bring on a terrible player by a terrible manager.

Adam wasn't great today and it looks like there's no one else really to rise to the occasion and be the star. We are completely dependant on one player.

Sow has regressed again, squandering more chances with wayward shots and headers.

A lazy, passive defence cost us two goals when we gave away a free header and left a runner with yards of space in our own half. Outside of 45 minutes against Hearts, Dundee's work rate and focus has been shocking this season.

1 minute ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Enjoyed that a lot! It was a real slobberknocker that could have gone either way and Dundee will probably have been disappointed not to have taken a point, but if you defend like chumps and have someone like Danny Mullen missing two chances in five minutes from one yard out, you're always going to be onto a loser. (While we're on the subject of bad defending, I don't think I've ever seen someone as slow to clear a ball off the line as Gregor Buchanan was for Jason Cummings' goal!)

It is also my sincere belief that Wullie Gibson is the best player in the country outside of the Premiership. His raids down the right, his touch and his movement, as well as his doggedness in defending, has really marked him out over the past two months. His goal was supremely well-taken too, although Dundee might wanted to have tried closing him down at some point during his 50-yard run with the ball. Shouts to Rohan Ferguson too who looked confident and assured over the match.

It's hard to believe that Queens were in such a bad state heading into Christmas, on and off the park (did anyone get round to explaining what George Galloway was up to?), but they've been very good ever since. Fair play to them!

I am now supporting @McGuigan1978 in his fight for the 'Lone Wolf Trophy' and blame you (and possibly McPake) for today.

31 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Well played, QoS. Do not think my impending meltdown and criticism of my club in this thread is in any way meant to be denigrating you. Fully deserved the win even if a little bit lucky with the chopped goal.

Yeah thought we shaded it. That was a very charitable decision. But then the actual first goal is a nonsense. Buchanan seems to have sk much time he is deciding where to clear it to rather than just clearing it. And someone fell over to allow a free cross on the 2nd.

To be fair to Dundee it is no easy task to come back from 2 goals down against anybody in this league but they absolutely dominated possession and on another day could very easily have got a point or more. When you soak up constant pressure it is never an easy watch and a sturdy pair of pants is almost essential. The difference between getting two back to back wins as opposed to two draws is absolutely massive but there is still a huge battle to avoid second bottom involving 5/6 teams. Every game a cup final as they say. Tremendous effort from the squad and management team.

We definitely rode our luck today, sitting so deep for so long. I said it before the game but with Nortey and Obileye in midfield we lack the quality to retain possession. But, you cant deny their effectiveness defensively and its a combination thats working.

I'd like to see the disallowed goal again. It didnt look like a foul on Ferguson but I wonder if the ref gave a foul on Breen behind him?

If we're going to sit deep like that we need to find a way to get the ball to Jones more often. He looks like the one who can run at the opposition and get us up the pitch.

A little disappointed with the stream, considering its more expensive than most of the league. The picture was really good quality and very stable but the replays were a bit hit and miss and there were no graphics for goals etc. The commentators were ok but probably the most biased we've had so far