Dundee FC vs Queen of the South (20/02/21)

10 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I’ve managed to forget most of our players in fact so line up for tomorrow?

I'm interested to see who he starts up front. Surely we'll have to do without one of Cummings, Sow, Gowser or McMullan, but idk which one it'll be.

2 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Got to be Gowser surely? Is Fontaine fit do we know?

I'd say so if it wasn't McPake...

And aye, Fontaine is fit, as is Ashcroft. Personally wanting to see Fontaine pair with Fagan-Walcott, think it could be quite a decent grouping.

Another tough one today. Obviously would love a win or even a point but I just don't feel it's going to happen. I don't know much about Dundee in footballing terms just that they've got Charlie Adam through midfield, Jordan Marshall on the left and the big fella up front. So my pessimism isn't based on any football analysis. Just feel that a win here would be too good to be true - can't believe we've actually turned it around that much just yet. At some point the hard work will inevitably dip for a game or two and the opposition won't always be toothless up front, and that's what's got us points in the last couple matches against bigger sides. Suspect today will be that day.

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

Charlie drifted in to a long ball passing game attempting elaborate 20/30 metre passes in the last couple of games. Not only did it not work but it basically null and voided the rest of our midfield.  He is our playmaker but he has to use the players around him more today. If he does that, we win. 

Another tough one today. Obviously would love a win or even a point but I just don't feel it's going to happen. I don't know much about Dundee in footballing terms just that they've got Charlie Adam through midfield, Jordan Marshall on the left and the big fella up front. So my pessimism isn't based on any football analysis. Just feel that a win here would be too good to be true - can't believe we've actually turned it around that much just yet. At some point the hard work will inevitably dip for a game or two and the opposition won't always be toothless up front, and that's what's got us points in the last couple matches against bigger sides. Suspect today will be that day.

Yes, there are only so many backs-to-the-wall performances u can get results from. If we can get to a place where we have better parity in terms of keeping possession and goal attempts that would be a real turning point. I know we are set up as a counter attacking team this season, but there is only so much even a decent defence can absorb

19 minutes ago, sidofthesouth said:

Yes, there are only so many backs-to-the-wall performances u can get results from. If we can get to a place where we have better parity in terms of keeping possession and goal attempts that would be a real turning point. I know we are set up as a counter attacking team this season, but there is only so much even a decent defence can absorb

....... and there was me almost erring dangerously close to optimism today ...... thanks for a needy dose of realism Sid 👍

Exactly right - it is a very tough gig trying to defend deep and score goals from a very low ratio of chances created. That said, with the personnel we have out it is the obvious tactic. Inevitably, you need to carry a bit of luck - second balls need to fall for you, your keeper has to perform and everybody has to work their socks off. Hopefully, we can give it a real go and see what happens.

Sensational stuff from The Courier there ....... should be a relief to the Dees reading that ...

When you’ve seen as much as him as we have it wouldn’t be a surprise to discover there are more than a few games when he’s thinking ‘don’t think winning matters much today’.