Dundee FC vs Queen of the South (20/02/21)

2 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

George Cran, Dundee reporter (and QoS fan fwiw) just released an interview with our groundsman, which is probably where he got this assurance

He had a couple of years as our resident website match reporter whilst at college before he got a real job.

Two games, two solid defensive performances. For me we start with the same line-up tonight but I'd be tempted to start Joseph ahead of Dobbie ("start * ahead of Dobbie", there's something I never thought I'd say). He looked more direct when he came on and could give the defence a much needed out ball.

Fitzpatrick, Dobbie and Pybus's energy would be 3 decent options to come off the bench.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Two games, two solid defensive performances. For me we start with the same line-up tonight but I'd be tempted to start Joseph ahead of Dobbie ("start * ahead of Dobbie", there's something I never thought I'd say). He looked more direct when he came on and could give the defence a much needed out ball.

Fitzpatrick, Dobbie and Pybus's energy would be 3 decent options to come off the bench.

Pybus isn't coming off any benches any time soon.

The Queens defence has been a machine these last two games, and look as tough to break down as any team in this league. Far from looking like the same unit that (admittedly) gifted Sow a hat-trick on Boxing Day. Very curious to see what Jason Cummings can do against that.

Or Fitzpatrick back in wide and East through the middle? Depending on Fitzpatrick's fitness of course. He's probably not likely to start I guess.
I missed your post the first time SD. If you're keeping East in that'd likely be McGrory dropping out? I actually saw more from McGrory yesterday than any other games. I thought he tried to get forward when he had the ball. I didn't think East was up to much in CM and Ayo and Nortey have been giving great cover to the defence so I'd be reluctant to disrupt that.

Think we could do with Fitzpatrick coming straight in for another outlet with his pace.
Who would you replace him with? For me the only option is East but for all I think he offers little going forward he's obviously putting in a shift defensively and again, do we want to disrupt it?

I know it's about balance but I'd be more than happy with a dull 0-0 on Saturday so wouldn't want to mess with the defensive side of our game at all. Particularly when I've never had faith in our defence in a long long time [emoji38] Fitzpatrick and Dobbie on the bench for me with us hopefully keeping it 0-0. Those two coming on with Dundee pushing for a winner could easily cause damage via counter attack.

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I missed your post the first time SD. If you're keeping East in that'd likely be McGrory dropping out?

Er no, I thought it was pretty clear dhd was contemplating options without Dobbie playing. I'm just saying if that's the case the one option is a straight swap for Joseph. Another might be a swap for Fitzpatrick with East moving central. However I've no idea if Fitzpatrick will be fit enough to start. It's probably unlikely.

And East wasn't playing CM yesterday either!

Edited by Skyline Drifter

The last time we didn't score in a game was 28th November in a 1-0 defeat to Hibs. In fact, in our 19 games in all competitions this season, we've only not scored a goal in 2 games. The aforementioned defeat against Hibs and the week prior to that which has since been described as the lowest point of our season, a 2-0 defeat away to Ayr.

Similarly, we've not kept a clean sheet in our last 8 games. The last clean sheet coming at home in a 1-0 win against Arbroath on 5th December.

Finally, we are unbeaten at home since a 0-2 defeat to ICT on 4/1/2020 which works out by my count as 15 games.

Based on the stats, I'm going for either a 2-1 win or a 2-2 draw.

Er no, I thought it was pretty clear dhd was contemplating options without Dobbie playing. I'm just saying if that's the case the one option is a straight swap for Joseph. Another might be a swap for Fitzpatrick with East moving central. However I've no idea if Fitzpatrick will be fit enough to start. It's probably unlikely.
And East wasn't playing CM yesterday either!

"Er", I read it as you agreeing with DHD about the swap and Fitzpatrick coming in as well. I didn't read it as another option and by central I thought CM.

I never said East played CM last night, I thought it was obvious from the rest of my post that Nortey and Ayo were CM. I said I wasn't impressed with East at CM which I wasn't when he played there against Alloa.

42 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

"Er", I read it as you agreeing with DHD about the swap and Fitzpatrick coming in as well. I didn't read it as another option and by central I thought CM.

I never said East played CM last night, I thought it was obvious from the rest of my post that Nortey and Ayo were CM. I said I wasn't impressed with East at CM which I wasn't when he played there against Alloa.

I've no idea how you manage to read "So Joseph for Dobbie then?" and a response of "Or Fitzpatrick back in wide and East through the middle" as anything other than another alternative option to replace Dobbie as a forward. Did you miss the word "Or"?

I wouldn't have said he was in a CM role against Alloa either though I guess that's semantics. He played a central role behind Shields and in front of the midfield. The "No 10" position that Pybus had previously been playing as Pybus had to play deeper that day. I agree it didn't really work though. He's not that sort of player. He can play wide to some effect though he doesn't have the pace of the others and he can play as the centre forward. He's deceptively decent in the air and wins a lot of headers.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

11 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Bring on the curse! Seriously though, I certainly didn't think this would be a sight I would see this season, so fair play.

We already had the curse. It's taken them two weeks to arrange a photo but we were informed just before the Alloa game.